What's new

How to know if you have a short or not?

It would show up straight away on your coil reader. The resistance would be way lower than it should be.

Imagine a battery, with a big long loop of wire connecting the + and - ends. The current flows through the wire. The wire has resistance, determined by the type of wire, the thickness, and the length. Now imagine putting another bit of wire across the big loop, near to the battery. This creates a short, by shortening the length of the circuit (electricity flows by the shortest path) and so decreasing the resistance. (don’t try doing this with your battery!)

Imagine a battery, with a big long loop of wire connecting the + and - ends. The current flows through the wire. The wire has resistance, determined by the type of wire, the thickness, and the length. Now imagine putting another bit of wire across the big loop, near to the battery. This creates a short, by shortening the length of the circuit (electricity flows by the shortest path) and so decreasing the resistance. (don’t try doing this with your battery!)
Ok got ya. So other than this what could possibly go wrong? Ill be fine (touch wood)

Nah seriously there are other things to go wrong so now that my ohms are correct can you just give me a little list that i can copy and paste so i remember? cheers mate really appreciate it!

Hopefully one of the other users will provide you a list. I don’t use mechs, I just remember science class at school. Basically your device has a more complicated version of the circuit I described above going on in it. So if your coil touches the cap, the wrong post, a bit of loose wire is sitting somewhere, or there’s a fault somewhere, that’s what would cause a short.

Personally i think it would be a good idea for you to get a cheap regulated mod and a rebuildable tank or a dripper, just to get confident at building coils. It would be less worrying for you, if something goes wrong it has built in protection.

See post #60 and the few before it. All the checks there are to prevent the things that could potentially go wrong. Welcome to the site :)2

See post #60 and the few before it. All the checks there are to prevent the things that could potentially go wrong. Welcome to the site :)2
Thanks guys. I agree a regulated mod would be the ideal but i feel confident enough to know that ill probs be okay. Just talked to chris k and he pointed out that if i had cocked it up, i would know by now. With them being pre wound coils, there is less loose wire to worry about. I have tightened them well too. Ill come back if i see anything which worries me! Ill copy my same build next time i change the coil, but this time im going to leave a little more length on the legs to make sure that the coil has more clearance from the deck!

Bloody hell, just realized how much info i have taken in since i started this thread. Might not be a pro by any stretch of the imagination, but i know a hell of a lot more than i did originally!

Just looking back at some of my earlier posts and for any of you guys who commented on this post or any of my other earlier ones, I am just here to say thank you to you all. These are nearly a year old and since then I have acquired so much vaping knowledge (mainly from all of your help!) So thank you so much. Just can't believe how unbelievably naive I sounded! :banghead: And how I actually got pissed of at some of you when now, looking back I realise you were just giving me the most important advice I needed!

But yeah thanks everybody, without all of you, I wouldn't have the knowledge I have today and would of also probably had to make a swift trip over to A&E at some point with the lack of Ohms knowledge!

Cheers to all of you and hope you are all having a happy new year :uk::2thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom