What's new

Freaking out about popcorn lung!!!

Ivohawk

Initiate
hey everyone,
As a new vaper, I love this site, and have whiled away many hours picking up tips since first trying vaping 2-3months ago.
But today I come here in desperation/freak out mode..!
Back story: I was a hardcore smoker for many years in my teens and early 20s, easily 40+ a day for nearly a decade, but gave up cold turkey in 2003 when I became a Mum.
Switch to now: I suffer from severe anxiety, and a friend recommended trying vaping. Well, it was love at first puff, and I realised that even tho I’d stopped smoking 15yrs ago, the addiction had never really left me. Experiencing nicotine again was life changing. Seriously, I was dumbfounded, and can honestly say that my life without nic is seriously impaired - in terms of the anxiety and depression that plagues me without it.

Anyway, everything was going great. For my sins I started with the really crappy cheap brands - not wanting to spend much just to try it out the first time - by which I mean going to Tesco and getting vypes and logicpros, both liquid and cartridges.

I knew little about it, but had reached a point in my life where I was so anxious and depressed that I was desperate to find something to take the edge off, and of course I remembered straight away how I lovely everything about smoking/vaping, not just the chemicals.

The big problem for me is that both my kids are serious athletes, super healthy and set on competing seriously in their sports, so definitely this was a new habit to keep to myself, as I knew my daughter especially would go mad if she found out what I was doing.

I found it amusing as whilst I’m not generally in the habit of hiding stuff from my kids, it reminded me of hiding smoking from my parents back in the day.

Only with vaping, to my delight it was just a matter of waiting until everyone was in bed, or confining myself to my own room.

I picked the sweeter/less pungent flavours - vanilla, strawberry crush (which is now being discontinued by logicpro) and menthol.

Then the trouble started.

I got lazy and would vape before the kids came into my room, but obviously not in front of them.

About 2weeks after I started the brand of logicpro stawberry that is being discontinued, my daughter began having severe chest pains when training. She’s no history of asthma or breathing problems of any kind. She’s also very fit and so usually copes well with training.

This escalated really quickly over the next 2 weeks to dry coughing fits, and tight chestedness, and breathing problems.

She began to become really unwell during Sports, and so we took her to the docs, and she’s currently being assessed for exercise induced asthma.

She’s been given an inhaler to try, as her peak flow (breathing out) is really low for her height and age.

BUT - it doesn’t appear to be working. So the next step is to test for other things.

Obviously the timing of this is uncanny, as until her problems started, about 2wks after I started vaping, she’d never had any symptoms like this. So I was googling secondary vaping and possible problems, and well, as you can imagine, it was a load of diacetyl/popcorn lung articles, which have filled me with fear and psychosis.

So I guess what I saying is guys -

- do uk ejuices/products contain diacetyl? I get that the proper good stuff won’t, but the crappy made in China Logic Pro pens I’ve been using?

- can other chemicals cause popcorn lung or is it just d?

- am I imaging a link between her symptoms and vaping, or can you see why I’m concerned?

Obviously now I’m desperate for a puff, so much so that I’m seriously considering starting smoking again

Which would suck as I actually prefer vaping as an experience.

Sorry so long, worried Mum, who chose to come here to get a bashing for being scaremongered over being fried on netmums for risky/impulsive behaviour

Ps. I’m extra worried as the one I use most - logic strawberry crush - has just been discontinued, so I’m scared it’s been found to have diacetyl, and that this might be linked to her problems

Don’t worry, fags have far more diacetyl than ecig vapour and no cases of popcorn lung caused by smoking are known. And the government, nhs and cancer research have said that it’s highly unlikely there is any second hand risk. You’ll be fine. :)

Hi @Ivohawk - sit down, close your eyes, count to 10 and relax :)

The whole diacetyl "scare" in vaping was pure garbage and has been disproven as a health risk over and over.

As @fasteddy mentioned, please see the thread from our own @MrDJ which provides plenty of evidence to show what utter rubbish the whole scare was. To quote from his thread :

"a single cigarette has more diacetyl in it than the worst found cases of diacetyl in e liquid.
not one person in the world has died from popcorn lung who smokes cigarettes."

I hope the doc's find a way to help your daughter soon.

Ps. I’m extra worried as the one I use most - logic strawberry crush - has just been discontinued, so I’m scared it’s been found to have diacetyl, and that this might be linked to her problems
Hi and welcome to the planet.
Sorry I'm a bit rushed off my feet at the moment working as a NHS slave so will be short and sweet but will reply again when I get home.

As said have a read through my link posted above that should be your mind at rest. The whole diacetyl thing was blown all out of proportion back in 2015 when there was little known about it. Then there was law suites in America and then the scaremongering started.
Sadly once these things are posted online they stay there forever to panic new vapers like yourself and this is why I done my own research and posted what was on that link.

In simple terms one cigarette has more diacetyl than the worst ever reading taken from any ejuice.

On a separate note. There are people allergic or intolerant to PG which is part of what makes e liquid but I've not heard of it affecting people second hand.

Gotta rush soz bbl

It makes me so mad that this concern is still a thing. The amount of smokers I talk to that bring it up is mental.

It's just an excuse to stick to the stinkies because when asked "popcorn lung or cancer mate, which would you prefer" they never have a sensible answer.

That's without going into the never proven and no cases have been attributed to vaping (atleast that's my understanding).

Okay actually just read op's post.

2nd hand smoke even the stuff left lingering on your clothes is far worse than vaping EVEN if you vape in the room with your kids.

Fucking press/fake news. Go read the nhs reports that's all your should be trusting.

Oh my gosh, THANK YOU ALL!!! Not only for the info, but for your patience and kind imparting if it....!

Yes - very very reassuring re. diacetyl - and also I guess good to know that I’m one of thousands of idiots who freak out easily (or maybe not so reassuring, more annoying...!) but also wow thank you all so much for not just rolling your eyes and publically ridiculing me!!!

I’m still super worried for her - maybe it’s the PG, though that sounds unlikely from second hand vape.

honestly guys this could easily have turned into a “not another amateur freaking out about nothing ” thread, so thanks so much for being so kind.

Or if I’d taken the netmums route it would likely have been on the news.

Incidentally - for those interested, I was led to diacetyl scaremongering in 3 easy clicks:

Click one = the story in the news today about the guy killed by an exploding vaper

Click two = (link appeared in story - woman develops “wet lung” from vaping)

Click three = diacetyl mania

I did briefly try to find out if it was banned in U.K., but couldn’t find concrete evidence easily on the vype/logic sites. Then obvs the strawberry logic has just been discontinued, the one I’ve been using most, so my tiny mind went into a downward spiral, which led me here

When I was in high school I was a super fit athlete, running, swimming and team sports. I ended up getting asthma which went away in 1-2 years.
EU health reports state no known risk to second-hand vape. It doesn't sound like you are using a DTL kit that produces massive clouds so this should further reduce your fears. I would suggest picking up a nice MTL kit from one of the bigger brands like Aspire, Innokin, Joyetech, Eleaf or Kangertech. Made in China doesn't mean it won't be good as nearly all vaping products are made in Shenzhen, China. As with anything made in China, it is made to spec - you get what you pay for. With a proper MTL device, you can buy 10ml shots or shortfills (cheaper) from nicer brands and try new flavours.

Back
Top Bottom