What's new

Fail at wicking coils.

Based on those pics, the coil is seriously blackened - is this really happening after a few seconds of firing? They resemble what mine would look like after a week or two of use.

You definitely have too much cotton in there but the cotton isn't that badly discoloured (although we can't see the cotton under the coil) so I'd suggest it's the coil that's the issue - or how you're prepping them for use. Try the suggestion above - you really do need to drip juice onto the coils before gently pulsing them to saturate the cotton beneath

Last edited:
i think you have too much cotton, the more cotton outside of the wick the more places it has to go that isn't the coil, it needs to be enough but not too much, clean your coils, give them a scrub with a toothbrush and rinse in water, make sure your coils and your mod is at room temperature before attaching to use TC mode to get accurate results, start at the lowest possible wattage to give a vape and work up in small increments until you reach the desired vape, don;t use too much liquid as it can burn onto the coil giving a burning taste and also cause spit back, the cotton should be pretty tight when pulling through the coils, almost difficult to get it through as it will shrink when soaked, and lastly you can get an amazing vape, amazing flavour and amazing clouds at 0.25 ohms and lower wattage which basically removes all of these issues. i really don't see the need to be vaping at 100 watts at all....like whatsoever.

i think you have too much cotton, the more cotton outside of the wick the more places it has to go that isn't the coil, it needs to be enough but not too much, clean your coils, give them a scrub with a toothbrush and rinse in water, make sure your coils and your mod is at room temperature before attaching to use TC mode to get accurate results, start at the lowest possible wattage to give a vape and work up in small increments until you reach the desired vape, don;t use too much liquid as it can burn onto the coil giving a burning taste and also cause spit back, the cotton should be pretty tight when pulling through the coils, almost difficult to get it through as it will shrink when soaked, and lastly you can get an amazing vape, amazing flavour and amazing clouds at 0.25 ohms and lower wattage which basically removes all of these issues. i really don't see the need to be vaping at 100 watts at all....like whatsoever.
Please can you explain how dripping too much juice on the coil means it will burn to the coil giving a burnt taste?

Please can you explain how dripping too much juice on the coil means it will burn to the coil giving a burnt taste?

I've watched juice that isn't being directly vaporised thicken and stick, that then burns and blackens.

Yes i can, because the liquid sits on top of the coil bubbling and thickening and burning onto the coil instead of drawing what it needs from a saturated wick, causing a black layer to form and burn in a vicious cycle even after a short amount of time using a fresh coil. I've sat and watched it happen time after time

Here are the photos I tried to post :) You can see the cotton is already very brown despite being used minutes and drenched in e liquid.

I don't know what others are seeing that I'm not but I don't see anything that bad there.... just a mild discoloration that always happens.

1Gv5y6K.jpg

..... there's nothing wrong with that, it's super clean and looks like it's wicking well too.

@Tubbyengineer has advised in the past that for temp control the wick should be much less dense than you'd use in power mode; there should hardly be any resistance when pulling the wick through the coil...it certainly works for me @Kitsune :)

Yes i can, because the liquid sits on top of the coil bubbling and thickening and burning onto the coil instead of drawing what it needs from a saturated wick, causing a black layer to form and burn in a vicious cycle even after a short amount of time using a fresh coil. I've sat and watched it happen time after time
Think that might only apply to over sweetened juice there mate as I over drip juice on my coils all the time and have been using RDA's for years and it's never happened to me [emoji6]

I suggest cleaning the coils and using a little less cotton, the coils are dirty so the wick will be dirty quickly but if it's burnt within a second that suggests the wick inside the coil isn't saturated, if it isn't saturated, it's probably too tight to draw through.

I agree the coil looks a mess but it literally hadn't gone through half a tank and was brand new before hand. It seems to be representative of another issue? I'll give it a go using less cotton but in my experience that just leads to the cotton burning through :(

Based on those pics, the coil is seriously blackened - is this really happening after a few seconds of firing? They resemble what mine would look like after a week or two of use.

You definitely have too much cotton in there but the cotton isn't that badly discoloured (although we can't see the cotton under the coil) so I'd suggest it's the coil that's the issue - or how you're prepping them for use. Try the suggestion above - you really do need to drip juice onto the coils before gently pulsing them to saturate the cotton beneath

Yes that coil had been through half a tank. It is SS remember, not kanthal.

Back
Top Bottom