What's new

Eliquid Shortfills – Are they for You??

leisureliquids

Premium Vendor
I thought I would do a quick post on here regarding Eliquid Shortfills after reading an interesting post on the Forum (which I can’t find anymore) asking if they work or not. I also get a lot of customers asking about them as they don’t understand exactly what they are.

Since the introduction of TPD Regulations, we have seen a huge increase in the amount of Eliquid Shortfills being introduced to the ecigarette market. There are a number of reasons for this but in my opinion the main reason is to avoid the expensive cost of TPD Registration and Testing by eliquid manufacturers. The good thing about the introduction of Shortfills is that it has brought the price of eliquid right down if buying large amounts of the same flavour eliquid. The bad thing about Shortfills is that it is bypassing the Regulations and Testing which are there to protect the consumer. As a Shortfill does not at the initial stage contain nicotine, they do not come under TPD Regulations.

For those who don’t know what an Eliquid Shortfill is, in simple terms, it is a pre-mix of flavour, PG and VG, put in a bottle where just nicotine needs to be added. That’s it!

A typical example would be 50ml pre-mix (flavouring/PG/VG) put in a 60ml Bottle, leaving a 10ml gap so nicotine can be added. Hence, the 10ml gap produces the name Shortfill. As this does not contain Nicotine, it is sold as a 50ml 0mg Shortfill Eliquid. In this example, you add 10ml of standard 18mg Nicotine to the bottle, shake well and the end result is 60ml of Eliquid at 3mg strength.

Do Shortfills work? Yes and No!

I’m only going to touch on 50ml Shortfills as Shortfills come in all difference sizes. So, relating to 50ml Shortfills, most Manufactures will calculate the ratio of the flavouring, VG and PG based on a 3mg User. After all, this is a Shortfill and therefore manufactures assume you are going to add Nicotine to make the shortfill to 60ml. If you do not vape at 3mg, this will throw all ratio calculations very slightly out.

Based upon a 70/30 VG/PG Mix being sold as a 0mg 50ml Shortfill, aimed at a 3mg vaper, the shortfill should contain*

PG – 9ml, VG – 32ml, Flavour – 9ml = 50ml (add 10ml of 18mg VG Nicotine = 60ml of 3mg Eliquid)

Due to the price, shortfills are also purchased by 0mg vapers. If 0mg Users are looking for a true 70/30 VG/PG Mix, the contents of a 0mg Shortfill will be wrong as they would need*

PG – 7.5ml, VG – 35ml, Flavour – 7.5ml = 50ml 0mg Eliquid

In conclusion, if you vape at 3mg, Shortfills will work for you perfectly. If you vape at 0mg, the ratio will be slightly out but I don’t think you are going to feel the difference so don’t let it put you off, get a Shortfill at a great price!

*calculations of flavour based on 15%

I mainly DIY, however since the TPD I have purchased shortfills from a few vendors, mainly to try something new, the price is also a factor along with bottle size...I have not bought any 10ml size e liquid and have no intentions to do so.
I vape at 3mg so shorties work for me, but I know they don't work for all, due to the sheer amount and choice available shortfills must be working for a lot of folks.

I vape at 8mg so if I got a shortfill and I have 72 nic according to the chart that was put on here a while ago if I add 5.6ml of 72 nic what will the VG/PG ratio be on a 70/30 shortfill.

Hi @quincey43, If you want the calculations, got to make an assumption that the flavouring is mixed at 15% (ave flavouring mix).

So, if you buy 50ml Shortfill to make a 60ml bottle @ 70/30 VG/PG to vape at 8mg, you will need 6.7ml of Nic Base (72mg).

The mix would contain
PG - 9ml
VG - 35.3ml
Nic - 6.7ml
Flavour - 9ml

Hope this helps

I vape at 18mg + so shorties are of no use to me.
Thanks for the explaination.

I have the same problem, which is why I mix my own, which is even more value for money that Shortfills, providing you can get the clones of your fav ejuices!

Thanks for the breakdown @leisureliquids

They 'work' for me in the manor which you have described as I switch between 0 and 3 nic.

On a practical note, I find them cumbersome. I certainly don't leave the house with one in my pocket. I prefer my 10ml bottles.

Yes, I know what you mean @CarbonBoy , some of them are bigger that devices! Most have dripper tips so can always decant into 10ml or 30ml Bottles. Unless your like me and have a man bag!
I have just checked and have 6 x 100ml bottles of home made eliquid in there, although no spare devices or batteries!

I love shortfills. The size is great as I always take a rucksack with me whenever I leave the house. They are such good value too.

I vape at 8mg so if I got a shortfill and I have 72 nic according to the chart that was put on here a while ago if I add 5.6ml of 72 nic what will the VG/PG ratio be on a 70/30 shortfill.

Hi, if your nic is pg based....and you make up a 10ml nic shot of 6.7ml pg nic..3.3ml top up vg....then you will be close to 64/36vgpg....I think

Back
Top Bottom