What's new

Coils, Tanks and VG%

JamesStan

Initiate
I’m in ecig hell at the moment and need some help!!

2 years using the aspire tank with 0.8 coils @ 18w, last 6 months, really unreliable coils, leaking and burnt coils after two/three days.

Made the change to the zenith pro tank but getting the burnt coil situation already. I’m using the 1.2ohm coil (which i think should be the 0.8 really) but i wanted to check what people think about the VG content of my juice and whether this is the issue. i only vape cosmic fog milk and honey 70VG and always have. I moved to shortfill recently and add 30ml of 70vg nic to 50ml of juice to get to my 12mg requirements.

A lot of forum posts i read say i should really be on a 50/50 juice for the coil and tank i use but the problem is the majority of shortfills i find are 70vg.

What is the common consensus on this? is there anyway of diluting the VG content from the shortfill i buy or should this not really be a problem at all anyway.

fed up of this now and tempted to get back on the fags!!!

Any help you could offer me would be greatly appreciated!

James

:welcome1:

Shortfills are designed to be used in sub ohm tanks or drippers really, so the vaper would usually be vaping 3mg liquid (1 nic shot) or 6mg (2 nic shots) at most. Higher VG liquid isn’t ideal because the coils will struggle to wick it, as you’re finding. I’m not doing the maths right now, but yes - you’re adding 30ml of VG nic to a liquid that’s already 70% VG - your liquid is way to thick.

Can I ask - how strong is the 30ml of nic you’re adding to your shortfills? Is it nic shots? And are you in the U.K. or elsewhere?

No need to go back to the fags just yet, there may be options....

The higher the VG the more likely it will reduce the life of the coil. Also certain sweet juices can affect the coil. Also make sure you prime ur new coil first and bed it in by vaping a low wattage for a few draws before you increase the wattage.
If ur using nic shots to add to ur shortfills, use PG nic shots to bring the VG ratio down.
You can thin the VG content to make it wick easier by adding a few drops of distilled water to the mix.

Thanks for the reply. Im in the UK and the nic shot is 18mg. I guessed the liquid was probably too thick i just dont know what my options are... so much information out there!

The higher the VG the more likely it will reduce the life of the coil. Also certain sweet juices can affect the coil. Also make sure you prime ur new coil first and bed it in by vaping a low wattage for a few draws before you increase the wattage.
If ur using nic shots to add to ur shortfills, use PG nic shots to bring the VG ratio down.
You can thin the VG content to make it wick easier by adding a few drops of distilled water to the mix.

Great, thanks for the advice. I prime the coils everytime and always build up the power gradually. I get one day of beautiful vaping, then burnt horrible taste which is just relentless now..

I was hoping diluting the VG would be possible and distilled water is a great shout! i also didnt realise you could buy PG nic. potentialy an easy fix here then...

10 watts is the most I found the 1.2 ohm coil could handle consistently.
Try the 1.0 ohm coils, Im on the zenith pro at the moment with one @16.5 watts, it's rated much higher, but for consistency and longevity that's where it's at for me
The 1.0 ohm coils also have bigger juice holes n can take thicker juices.

10 watts is the most I found the 1.2 ohm coil could handle consistently.
Try the 1.0 ohm coils, Im on the zenith pro at the moment with one @16.5 watts, it's rated much higher, but for consistency and longevity that's where it's at for me
The 1.0 ohm coils also have bigger juice holes n can take thicker juices.

have you used the 0.8 coils? will this improve it any or would the change between that and the 1.0 be minimal in your opinion?

Thanks for the reply. Im in the UK and the nic shot is 18mg. I guessed the liquid was probably too thick i just dont know what my options are... so much information out there!

have you used the 0.8 coils? will this improve it any or would the change between that and the 1.0 be minimal in your opinion?

There is not much in it between 0.8 n 1.2, biggest difference/improvement for me was the 1.0 ohm

Back
Top Bottom