What's new

Benefits of RTAs over stock coil tanks?

but the flavour is no where near as good as with the Z coils

You're not alone, I thought the tank was as shit as the first one and offloaded it, might just be the way I built it but I've used quite a few and seldom been as disappointed.

Did you get rid of any hotspots? They can really make a huge difference also.
Cheers @andrewmandrew72, I did check for hotspots and it all looked fine to me.

Ok, (i was able to click on your pic to get a clearer image)
First off, it looks like your wick is stuffed thru the juice ports and out the bottom. I dont understand why, but rta's work better if u either cut it and comb it out a bit and measure it so it doesnt go all the way thru the port, or in the case of the ares, i could see a dam build working well (u just kind of cut it and fold it back under so it completely blocks the juice port and 'dams' it up)

Also, typically, raising the coil closer to the chimney is what increases flavor, not lowering it (again, the physics of why is beyond me). I also dont know if it is necessairly as important with bottom only airflow tanks.

thanks for the tips @Jd_!
For a first timer i don't think he has done a bad job, i think from a quick look at it, it might benefit from a little more cotton though if it vapes ok stick with it. Not all RTA's are that easy so the Ares is a nice one to practice on, you will soon get a feel for it and everything will become second nature after a few goes, good luck and stick with it.
Thanks @LordOdin, appreciate the kind words lol. I did think myself that more cotton would help!

You're not alone, I thought the tank was as shit as the first one and offloaded it, might just be the way I built it but I've used quite a few and seldom been as disappointed.
Cheers for the reply @John R! I’m still not getting as good a flavour from it as from the Z coils but I assumed it is just because I’m a novice lol

Cheers @andrewmandrew72, I did check for hotspots and it all looked fine to me.

thanks for the tips @Jd_!

Thanks @LordOdin, appreciate the kind words lol. I did think myself that more cotton would help!

Cheers for the reply @John R! I’m still not getting as good a flavour from it as from the Z coils but I assumed it is just because I’m a novice lol

You may need another RTA to get the flavour you are after, but stick with it for now and get confident with the building side of things.

You may need another RTA to get the flavour you are after, but stick with it for now and get confident with the building side of things.
Yeah definitely going to use this one to practice with! I tried making my own coils earlier instead of using the pre made ones it came with and that’s definitely going to take me a while to master lol

Yeah definitely going to use this one to practice with! I tried making my own coils earlier instead of using the pre made ones it came with and that’s definitely going to take me a while to master lol

Keep practicing, you'll get there. It's suddenly gets really simple once you have the hang of it.

I think u r using round wire?
Try switching to fused claptons.

I think u r using round wire?
Try switching to fused claptons.
Thanks @Jd_

I’m just using the 26g Kanthal wire that came with the tank. Absolutely no idea on anything to do with the wire lol

do you build the coils in the same way with the fused claptons and can you still make plus 1ohm coils?

Thanks @Jd_

I’m just using the 26g Kanthal wire that came with the tank. Absolutely no idea on anything to do with the wire lol

do you build the coils in the same way with the fused claptons and can you still make plus 1ohm coils?
Yes, especially if u use kanthal.
I mean, u can just use single core claptons, its just round wire with a wrap wire around it Fused claptons can make your wire a little wider without making it taller, so more surface area on the wick with less wraps.

The wrap doesnt really effect the resistance.

Thanks @Jd_

https://m.fasttech.com/p/9700237

Still lookin for kanthal clapton spools, not really finding much tho

(Double check the direction of the wrap on those xfkm ones)

Last edited:
@Bruben Just a thought, but when I was switching from MTL stock coils (Nautilus 1.8 ohm) to RTAs I found a good place to start was building to much the same resistance as what I was used to, so it was a fair comparison. I've still never dropped below about 1.3/1.4 ohms, as that is what suits me on most MTL tanks. I usually use 28AWG kanthal coils - if you want me to send you some wire (or even a coil) so you can try and see how it grabs you, drop me a PM. :)

Back
Top Bottom