What's new

Benefits of RTAs over stock coil tanks?

Bruben

Postman
Hi all,

Currently using an Innokin Zlide tank and as I’m getting more into vaping I have been thinking about getting an RTA, specifically the Innokin Ares 2.

I vape 50/50 liquids and like MTL. Are there benefits to vaping with an RTA rather than a stock coil tank? Also, are they difficult to learn how to use?

Oh, and are there better MTL RTAs than the Innokin Ares 2? Need them to be simple to use lol

Cheers!

Hi all,

Currently using an Innokin Zlide tank and as I’m getting more into vaping I have been thinking about getting an RTA, specifically the Innokin Ares 2.

I vape 50/50 liquids and like MTL. Are there benefits to vaping with an RTA rather than a stock coil tank? Also, are they difficult to learn how to use?

Oh, and are there better MTL RTAs than the Innokin Ares 2? Need them to be simple to use lol

Cheers!

Hi @Bruben An rta will save you loads of money compared to the cost of coils for a Tank , it also gives you a choice of wire to use and to build coil to your own desire. watch a few videos on youtube to see how easy it actually is, There are no excuses for you not to use RTA's. even a bloke with sight loss can coil and wick, all be it using a magnifier, that bloke is me. I will tell you what to buy and thats a Kizoku Limit tank. it is a great flavour tank, and 2 options either build a coil and wick yourself or you can remove the RTA deck and use the Nautilus coil deck.

As above, it is cheaper than running a stock coil tank, more freedom with choice of wire and cotton, no more burning out coils with sweeter liquids etc.

The only downside is it does have a learning curve and it takes longer to set up a new coil or clean and rewick than it does to just screw in a new coilhead.

Its all i vape, it easy saves money and can have a bit of fun along the way

Thanks all, think I’m sold on an RTA now!

Cheers for the recommendation @crustyfolker! I’ll have a butch on YouTube and compare the reviews with the Ares 2!

Are there benefits to vaping with an RTA rather than a stock coil tank?
1. Cost. Manufacturers' coils are pricey. Building your own coil and wick is cheap as chips
2. Reliability. Mass manufactured coils vary in quality and you get the occasional dud. If you make an error with your rebuild, you just make another.
3. Supply. With your own stock of wire and wicking you no longer have to worry about the specific manufactured coils not being available any more.
4. Coil spec and variation. With a huge range of wires and wicking available you can make whatever coil suits you and the atty best.
5. Juice flexibility. Depending on your RTA's juice flow design, you can set up a wick to handle a greater variety of juice types - you're no longer limited to 50/50 PG/VG.

One tip I would share is to choose an RTA which has deck options and/or where you can buy extra decks. Having a spare deck with fresh coil and wick which you can quickly and easily install is a godsend.

There are some cons to think about.
1. The cost of the initial outlay - for wires, wicking, tools - can be offputting. it's a worthwhile investment if you commit, and few regret.
2. Time. You'll get faster as you gain experience but initially it takes more time than pushing a fresh coil out of a blister pack.
3. Mistakes happen. Don't be put off by less than perfect results from the get go, persistence pays off.

Also, are they difficult to learn how to use?
No. If you have the dexterity to rewire a plug you can wrap a coil, build and wick. The most difficult part is not the rebuilding but learning the workings of whatever RTA you choose, its strengths weakness and idiosyncracities. Again, persistence pays off.

There is a learning curve but it's not steep. Most folk who start rebuilding will comment on how much easier it is than they thought.

Who knows what RTA will suit you best? Most are pretty simple really.

Last edited:
1. Cost. Manufacturers' coils are pricey. Building your own coil and wick is cheap as chips
2. Reliability. Mass manufactured coils vary in quality and you get the occasional dud. If you make an error with your rebuild, you just make another.
3. Supply. With your own stock of wire and wicking you no longer have to worry about the specific manufactured coils not being available any more.
4. Coil spec and variation. With a huge range of wires and wicking available you can make whatever coil suits you and the atty best.
5. Juice flexibility. Depending on your RTA's juice flow design, you can set up a wick to handle a greater variety of juice types - you're no longer limited to 50/50 PG/VG.

One tip I would share is to choose an RTA which has deck options and/or where you can buy extra decks. Having a spare deck with fresh coil and wick which you can quickly and easily install is a godsend.

There are some cons to think about.
1. The cost of the initial outlay - for wires, wicking, tools - can be offputting. it's a worthwhile investment if you commit, and few regret.
2. Time. You'll get faster as you gain experience but initially it takes more time than pushing a fresh coil out of a blister pack.
3. Mistakes happen. Don't be put off by less than perfect results from the get go, persistence pays off.

No. If you have the dexterity to rewire a plug you can wrap a coil, build and wick. The most difficult part is not the rebuilding but learning the workings of whatever RTA you choose, its strengths weakness and idiosyncracities. Again, persistence pays off.

There is a learning curve but it's not steep. Most folk who start rebuilding will comment on how much easier it is than they thought.

Who knows what RTA will suit you best? Most are pretty simple really.
Cheers @scrumpox! Appreciate the detailed response :2thumbsup:

There is nothing wrong with stock coils, especially good ones.
Dont feel like you r not 'real vaping' unless u r building your own coils.

There r some days when i just dont get along with my rebuildables, there r others when thats all i use.

The removable deck idea, or just get a second one to build while the other is full of juice is a good one, makes it much less of a bother, at least in my head.

(Rebuildables for me r a result of a knee jerk reaction to being stuck without plentiful coils last summer)

Scrumpox has pretty much covered it all.

I'll emphasise his point about persistence though. You might need to try a few different types of coil/wire till you settle on one you like. Definitely worth using an RTA if you have the patience though.

Ares 2 is a great RTA to get started on. Comes with coils, cotton and basic build tools to get you started. Easy to build and some good airflow options for MTL. There are some good instruction videos on it by Phil Busardo.

Back
Top Bottom