What's new

Battery smoke

Visoreye

So today out of nowhere I was using my mod and suddenly the screen turned half black and it stopped hitting while showing weak battery, then it started giving out smoke from the battery chamber and something started rattling inside, I took the battery out and put another one in, the mod reset!

It reset the timer and the puff counter while also maintaining any other setting i had put before it stroked.

The mod I'm using is the eVic primo mini (the whole starter kit, tank and coils)

I vape at 45 watts and the battery I use is a Samsung 30Q, the battery is brand new and it was only charged once (inside the mod)

Also after I swapped the battery to a fully charged one it doesn't seem to be struggling to hit so I took the battery out and don't know what to do.

Any idea what caused this to happen?

doesn't sound good... an internal short maybe, the smoke is very concerning.

I couldn't recommend you carry on using the mod.

Somewhere in the back of my mind there's a red flag about Samsung batteries. There was a thread about 3 months ago on either their withdrawal from sale or dodgy clones, not sure which. I didn't take enough notice because I'm not a big battery user but did think at the time that I wouldn't buy Samsung. I hope I'm not misleading things but you may want to try searching Samsung to see if there's any info on here.

Another reminder never to leave those batteries unattended though!

personally i would not use it untill you have confirmed the cell at fault anyway?

If its the mod??, it could happen again at any time and you may not be there to spot it lithium cells can burn down houses!!

have you got a backup device? can you get your hands on one?

Where did you buy the batteries @Visoreye

There's always the chance that it's something like a 5A cell with a fake 30Q wrapper on it.

.... but to be honest a 30Q is pretty much on it's safe recommended limit at 45w, it wouldn't be the cell I would recommend in the first place. .... are you sure you didn't give it a few goes at 80w?

Somewhere in the back of my mind there's a red flag about Samsung batteries. There was a thread about 3 months ago on either their withdrawal from sale or dodgy clones, not sure which. I didn't take enough notice because I'm not a big battery user but did think at the time that I wouldn't buy Samsung. I hope I'm not misleading things but you may want to try searching Samsung to see if there's any info on here.

Another reminder never to leave those batteries unattended though!
Not at all related. And is only related to the safety of dumb users. That was simply Samsung covering their asses. These cells were not ever meant for public sale. They are designed to be part of a safety controlled battery unit, or pack. So a public declaration that they were not to be used for vaping was issued.

Thanks for the replies, I put the mod aside and took out the battery, definitely don't want to use it when i don't know where the problem is from.

@Simon G

They are genuine Samsung 30Q tho, and the highest wattage i used was 50 for maybe 3 hits.

What worries me the most is the rattling sound inside the mod, its like something went loose after the short.

Also I don't have any back ups mods atm just my pod systems @fil

there have been a lot of fake batteries sold on ebay and even amazon over the years.
ive used 25R and 30Q for 5 years and never had an issue and the warning as said is samsung covering their asses.
using the amp calculator on fogstar 30Q still show safe amp at 55watt use but not 60watt

Charging The battery in the device would have alarm bells ringing in my ears, like others i haven't had any problems using Samsung or any other type of battery, did you buy the battery from a reputable dealer ?

there have been a lot of fake batteries sold on ebay and even amazon over the years.
ive used 25R and 30Q for 5 years and never had an issue and the warning as said is samsung covering their asses.
using the amp calculator on fogstar 30Q still show safe amp at 55watt use but not 60watt
Not just mail order. The Sammy 25Rs I bought from a shop, when I first started vaping, weighed 4g less than real 25Rs do. Since I found out, all my batteries come from Fogstar. And, if he's OS, 18650.

mind you. I've seen some 9500mah 50A 18650s on eBay, that are really tempting.;)

Back
Top Bottom