What's new

Am I doing this right? (wicking)

CFR

Initiate
Hi there,

Several months ago I bought a Zeus X mesh RTA and I've always been wondering if I'm doing the wicking right. So, I thought why not ask the experienced members of this forum.

So, whenever the flavour gets a bit bitter I replace the cotton completely.
Notice the soot on the coil and the burned cotton below (apologies for the blurry iphone photos).

IMG_4468.JPG

IMG_4470.JPG

I clean the coil by firing it several times and scrubbing the soot off with a steel brush.

IMG_4471.JPG

Then I rewick it like so

IMG_4472.JPG

IMG_4473.JPG

IMG_4474.JPG

And finally I saturate it and It's good to go (or is it?)

IMG_4476.JPG

I replace the cotton every 10-15 days and the mesh coil whenever there's hotspots.
Am I doing this right?

Cheers!

Chris

Looks good to me! If you are getting 15 days without having to change the cotton you are wicking it brilliantly in fact!!

If u r getting soot on the coil i would replace it as well. It is my understanding that the soot flakes off when u inhale.

I may b wrong tho

Looks good mate. I change mine a bit more frequently but not by much... although I do vape very sweet liquids.

I find Vandy Vape M Cotton and Firebolt M Cotton the best for it. The stuff that comes with mesh strips goes straight in the bin.

I don't use mesh, however, it looks good to me. Hello and welcome to PotV.

Looks fine to me, i generally don't cut at an angle but most do. If it is lasting you 2 weeks then don't fix something if it ain't broke springs to mind.

I don't use mesh either ............. but it looks a lovely job to me too. :D

Nicky Clarke would be proud of that wick trimming.
Looks sweet.
I only tend to trim mine at an angle on RTAs, makes it easier to get the correct amount in the juice flow port. Plus easier to screw the tank section to the deck, without trapping cotton in the threads.
On my mesh RDAs I just trim fairly straight.

Thank you for your replies guys!

Good to know that I'm doing this right. Well, I should have said that the cotton used to last 10-15 days.
Now it lasts 4-5 days. I don't do anything different regarding wicking. I did buy different juice though.
Is it possible that the new juice affects the cotton "lifespan"?

Edit: I use Wotofo xfiber cotton.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom