What's new

My journey into the world of coil building

Zoellies

Postman
OK so as the title suggests this is a guide/journal into the world of Coil building RDA's and RTA's... i have been vaping a long time now, but only had a little brush with the rebuildable side of things.. but due to having poor equipment and knowledge, it didn't really work out Lol so I thought I would put this up so people can see the different bits and bobs I'm using, and my interpretation of the results.. don't forget what I like, may not be up your street.. so here goes!

I bought myself a few bits of kit to get me off to a flying start...

Geekvape tsunami 22 RDA (velocity deck)
Cleito EXO
Cleito RTA kit
Coilmasters DIY KIT V3
UD wire box selection
Bacon bits cotton

Now this little lot set me back a few quid but it was money well spent.. the wire selection box gives me six different wire types from kanthal A1 to Clapton to SS316 and Ni200.. twisted kanthal and nichrome! I also got a spool of 24g kanthal and some more organic cotton with the V3 kit, so I really have got a lot to play with!

Now just to be clear, you don't need all this stuff.. but, you will be rolling coils like a pro from day dot if you do get it.. that's not to say with some practice you wouldn't be ok with a spool of kanthal, a pair of wire clippers, some cotton, and a 2ml drill bit to wind your coils on, but it will be a lot better and easier if you do have at least some bits.. an ohms meter and a coil rolling jig, and ceramic tweezers.. and you would be away, but getting all this makes it much much easier!

A few pics to follow of all my odds and sods before we build some coils...

Just to add, I use the vape calculator on steam engine at the moment to work out how many wraps per coil, I really can't rate it enough.. however, I am only using regulated mods.. the pico dual 200w and a Smok X cube ultra 220w so this is based around regulated mods not mechanical mods...

Some pics, firstly all the bits together.. then all the main parts separately..

Attachments

• IMG_1055.JPG
    IMG_1055.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 339
  • IMG_1056.JPG
    IMG_1056.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 329
  • IMG_1057.JPG
    IMG_1057.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 291
  • IMG_1060.JPG
    IMG_1060.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 298
  • IMG_1059.JPG
    IMG_1059.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 284
  • IMG_1061.JPG
    IMG_1061.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 337
  • IMG_1062.JPG
    IMG_1062.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 331
Just a quick bit about the cleito RTA system..

This is a really good bit of kit, it came with two Clapton coils installed on the velocity deck but I took them out and put a quid coils Clapton build on it instead... in the box you get a fair few bits,

Bag of o rings and seals, very generous amount too!
Spare grub screws
A small bag of cotton wick
The RTA system itself with two Clapton coils installed ready for wicking
And an Allen/hex key

I can't show you the deck as it's in use inside the cleito EXO but when the juice runs out I will do a new build on it and take some proper pics of it then.. This setup actually kicks ass, I'm really glad I went for it as it's very easy to build on and gives a great vape.. it's also a well made bit of kit and worth the money

Attachments

• IMG_1063.JPG
    IMG_1063.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 286
  • IMG_1065.JPG
    IMG_1065.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 271
  • IMG_1066.JPG
    IMG_1066.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 274
And the geekvape tsunami.. well for under £20 I don't think you can go wrong! This is a great RDA and worth every penny and some! It has a velocity style deck with bottom airflow and allows for a load of builds.. in the box you get

O rings
Grub screws
Allen key
Three different tips
And the device itself

Now this is a really nice bit of kit, it doesn't eat the juice too much unless you go crazy on the power.. it produces good smooth clouds of flavourful vapour due to the bottom air flow. For an item in this price range I don't think you can ask for more.

So far I have ran a dual coil 24g kanthal build, then a quad coil kanthal Clapton build, followed by what is currently in it and that's a 0.5 ohm dual coil ss316 11 4mm wraps per side... using dinner ladies lemon tart at 50w and wow, I'm in flavour central :57:

Attachments

• IMG_1073.JPG
    IMG_1073.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 292
  • IMG_1072.JPG
    IMG_1072.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 256
  • IMG_1071.JPG
    IMG_1071.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 299
  • IMG_1070.JPG
    IMG_1070.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 315
  • IMG_1068.JPG
    IMG_1068.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 288
Ok so let's build some coils!

So I'm going to try a 28g x 3 twisted quad build on the tsunami...

Some pictures, of the coil master jig in action and the resulting coils I made on it! I used the 3mm mandrel, and went for a nice safe 6 wraps per coil..

The coilmaster jig..

Attachments

• IMG_1075.JPG
    IMG_1075.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 242
  • IMG_1076.JPG
    IMG_1076.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 237
  • IMG_1077.JPG
    IMG_1077.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 233
You thread the wire through the hole and hold it in place with your thumb, them put the top part of the coilmaster on and then start wrapping.. slight pressure not too much and they come out perfectly..

Attachments

• IMG_1079.JPG
    IMG_1079.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 287
  • IMG_1080.JPG
    IMG_1080.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 300
  • IMG_1081.JPG
    IMG_1081.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 274
  • IMG_1082.JPG
    IMG_1082.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 257
  • IMG_1083.JPG
    IMG_1083.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 271
Repeat 4 times and your done building your coils...

Attachments

• IMG_1084.JPG
    IMG_1084.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 291
Just had to stop while I do the kids some lunch.. lol will be back shortly and we will put these bad boys on the tsunami and see how they turn out... I haven't used the vape calculator on this but am confident it will be a low resistance build.. normally I use the vaping calculator but this time I thought I'd just do it and it should come in around 0.2-3 ohms but might be lower..

Back in a bit..

Back
Top Bottom