What's new

Is it necessary to prepare 3 kinds of charging port cables at home?

Than why do batteries sometimes get so hot u cant hold them when u charge them and why does every charger warn you never to leave a charging battery unattended?
Listen man, i dont wanna keep arguing, because i dig u and respect your knowledge, but we r talking about 2 different things, i know a lithium battery can only absorb charge so fast...im talking about limiting batteries that i dont want to have extra current available to them for the sake of battery longevity.

Im not made of money and if my thing that i bought 20 years ago is still taking a charge, im gonna keep using it till it doesnt

I said that I don't have a device of the picture that I sent. It was just an example for you to check if interested in devices that have such capabilities. And yes, I did current testing of the charger I do have. Currents are always lower than device being charged is rated at and go down as the device is charged. For example my phone is 2 amps and charges at 1.7 amps approx then it goes down to zero. My bluetooth phones are charging at about 0,3 amps at the beginning and go down again to zero. All on the same charger that is rated at 3 amps total, 2.1 amps per usb port.
Read above ^^

Also, for example, my kanger subvod wont charge if i put it on a 2.1 amp charger, the light wont even come on, when i use an old 1 amp charger it works fine. It had me puzzled for quite a while, thought it had died.

Listen man, i dont wanna keep arguing, because i dig u and respect your knowledge, but we r talking about 2 different things, i know a lithium battery can only absorb charge so fast...im talking about limiting batteries that i dont want to have extra current available to them for the sake of battery longevity.

Im not made of money and if my thing that i bought 20 years ago is still taking a charge, im gonna keep using it till it doesnt
Yeah man, I agree. I also like to make things last. Because of the money but also for the sake of environment. Have 3 kids so sustainability is very important to me. If something works don't throw it away. I have an old iPad 1 from 2010 that still works. Not all apps can be installed but kids are using it without any issues.
About the device charging. Most of the batteries in all devices are li-ion anyway. Some are polymer and there are some more chemistries. To prolong battery life no matter what chemistry is not about current directly but the heat. Of course higher current means more heat so you could get away with higher current but to cool the device with fan for example. Heat kills battery chemistry. Next thing is charge percentage. You can check on the battery university site I mentioned for detail but in short try to keep them between 20 and 80% charged all the time. Especially the upper part is important since charging to 90% instead of 100% make it last twice as long. Not bad! Also charging to 80% should prolong battery life 4 times...
Not sure about Kanger device. Could it due to circuit being old, battery being old so electronic is limiting / cutting the power. Just charge it with what's possible, as you said if it works why not using it.
One more thing. Computer usb port is limited by standard to 0.5 amps so that is a good way to charge smaller devices like headphones, watches and similar...

Guys, im sorry, i see where the disconnect occured

@Jd_ have no fear about charing 1 amp device on 2 amp charger. Charger will supply only what the device can handle.

I dont consider a battery whose circuitry gets hot when u charge it 'being able to handle it' even if it thinks it can because obviously it doesnt know whats best for it

I know almost nothing from electronics.
But I see things and I can understand some. :D

For example, my Luxe mod is able to charge at 2.5A if I remember well, its the spec for the Omniboard 4 chipset.
There are differences when using different power adapters. time ago, I got this data:
With 1A 5V USB:
-avarage charge time from "0%": 260min.
-measured batts. temp at 50% charge: 25ºC (with batt door closed) @21ºC ambient
-avarage batt. use after, typical daily use: 36h.

With 2.5-3A 5/5.25V USB:
-avarage charge time from "0%": 120min.
-measured batt. temp at 50% charge: 44ºC (with batt. door open!) @21ºC ambient
-avarage batt. use after, typical daily use: 20h.

So high temp is the main reason I almost never, since I have the mod, charge it with fast charge. I cant trust batteries charging near to 50ºC, but at half that temperature? not a problem for me.
External battery chargers could stress batteries as well if the power output is high, so for me theres no difference.

Im I damaging the USB port or the PCB of the mod? I think if the USB port were just for firmware upgrade, Vaporesso would put it clearly in the manual. The port will wear just like any other such smartphones. Having care and being precise when connecting its a must if you want to conserve it. If you are a butterfingers, its your problem.
Do the mod electronics suffer when charging somehow? I dont know. I would say its not likely. At least not this chipset. Im charging it for almost 2 years now and it works like the first day, but the 2xVTC5A now seems to last a little bit less (time to replace, possibly).

Please, dont take what I say further than a bar counter conversation. ;)

Thank you for being able to convey my thoughts better than i was.

Thats why i actually chose vaporesso products to start with, since they have that auto charge cutoff when u hit the fire button. They seem to be the only company taking battery issues seriously.

And ehpro, i hear her coldsteel200 supports balancing of unmatched batteries, id like to know if they actually can

Eleaf too also seems to be trying

NP, just providing a perspective.

My pods, the same thing. For example the Osmall (350mAh) and the Xtra (900mAh) has a little internal battery. Not possible to charge with external charger.
I dont have a clue of the charge rate of those but I can assure you, if you charge them with something >1A they get VERY hot.

Time charge its the same with 1A or 2A, so the guys are right, the device is taking just the power it needs.

However, not the temperature. <=1A gives a cooler charge than 2A (for example) on those little pods. I assume that the rest of power delivered and not taken by the pod battery is transformed in heat when connected to a overpowered source. (unless the power adapter is able to limit the output in a smart way, of course)

In my last comment, forgot to mention, yeah fastcharge feature is cool! but is it safe enough? should it be used? its a implicit feature on many mods.
If we think about vape newbies, I bet they just want to get the thing charged ASAP (no worries at all about this topic). How many of these users have, for example, a Luxe or a Gen mod that is able to charge batts at 2.5A? How many of them are charging the batts inside with their 3A tablet power adapter, or whatever, day after day?
Not everyone knows and dont need to know nothing about batteries safety, so its a bit worrysome... you know what I mean?

Thats why i actually chose vaporesso products to start with, since they have that auto charge cutoff when u hit the fire button. They seem to be the only company taking battery issues seriously.

And ehpro, i hear her coldsteel200 supports balancing of unmatched batteries, id like to know if they actually can

Eleaf too also seems to be trying

Innokin have a very good reputation for taking battery safety seriously too :)

I use magnetic usb cables for phones and tablets (also work on mods) the plugs (micro usb, ios or type c) stay in the phone/tablet then I have 2 cables downstairs and 1 in the bedroom permanently plugged in and it don't matter wich device it is the same cable is used. they also mean less wear and tear of the port from constant plugging/unplugging, magnet end of cable rotates so less wear on cable and and the plugs keep dirt out of the port. mine are for charging only so still need a data cable to connect to pc when needed but thats not very often and you can get ones that transfer data aswell.

I use magnetic usb cables for phones and tablets (also work on mods) the plugs (micro usb, ios or type c) stay in the phone/tablet then I have 2 cables downstairs and 1 in the bedroom permanently plugged in and it don't matter wich device it is the same cable is used. they also mean less wear and tear of the port from constant plugging/unplugging, magnet end of cable rotates so less wear on cable and and the plugs keep dirt out of the port. mine are for charging only so still need a data cable to connect to pc when needed but thats not very often and you can get ones that transfer data aswell.
those are cool
618SuYYpfXL._AC_SX466_.jpg

You put the end tip type on each device and set a couple of those cables here and there... and ready to go.
I love the idea!

EDIT:
I liked so much that I purchased a couple of cables and a bunch of plugs:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000374403062.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2af84c4dRSCOOl
Price is low, so woth a try

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom