What's new

Is it necessary to prepare 3 kinds of charging port cables at home?

@Jd_ have no fear about charing 1 amp device on 2 amp charger. Charger will supply only what the device can handle. But just to be on the safe side there are chargers with multiple ports that are with different currents eg. one port is fast charge or PD, second is 2 amps, third for 1 amp and last is 0,5 amps for Bluetooth phones, fitness bracelets and such really small devices. Something like this :
View attachment 224428
The first part is simply not true.
The second part is what im talking about and is why i have half a power strip full of charging thingies (thats the technical term, lol) for 1 or 2 usb cables

The first part is simply not true.
The second part is what im talking about and is why i have half a power strip full of charging thingies (thats the technical term, lol) for 1 or 2 usb cables

it is, it’s true.

Yeah, i do really need a device like that, but
it is, it’s true.
If u have a smart charger like that one he posted, it may be true, if it works.
But they dont always, thats why batteries sometimes get too hot when u charge them too fast and why u all keep saying not to charge your external batteries in your mods and is why they tell you to never leave a battery unattended while charging because it can catch on fire

And thats talking about devices made in 2020, i still have stuff that uses mini usb from the early 2000's

(1 of the reasons i should say, i know there are a few)

Yeah, i do really need a device like that, but

If u have a smart charger like that one he posted, it may be true, if it works.
But they dont always, thats why batteries sometimes get too hot when u charge them too fast and why u all keep saying not to charge your external batteries in your mods and is why they tell you to never leave a battery unattended while charging because it can catch on fire

And thats talking about devices made in 2020, i still have stuff that uses mini usb from the early 2000's

(1 of the reasons i should say, i know there are a few)

no, see this page:

https://superuser.com/questions/600...th-more-output-amperage-than-the-device-needs

“Yes, it is absolutely safe to charge a device with a charger that has more current capacity than needed.

Ohm's law tells us the relation between current, voltage, and resistance:

I = V / R
(current = voltage / resistance)

Since the voltage is held constant (5V), the only factor that determines current draw is the load (another term for resistance) the device places on the charger. Thus, the device will only draw as much current as it needs and no more.”

no, see this page:

https://superuser.com/questions/600...th-more-output-amperage-than-the-device-needs

“Yes, it is absolutely safe to charge a device with a charger that has more current capacity than needed.

Ohm's law tells us the relation between current, voltage, and resistance:

I = V / R
(current = voltage / resistance)

Since the voltage is held constant (5V), the only factor that determines current draw is the load (another term for resistance) the device places on the charger. Thus, the device will only draw as much current as it needs and no more.”
Than why do batteries sometimes get so hot u cant hold them when u charge them and why does every charger warn you never to leave a charging battery unattended?

I don't have this particular model so I can't say for sure. I have one that is 2.1 amps on all ports but have usb tester device and it always fluctuates a bit. In the beginning it is faster but toward the end current drops. That is expected of course. Anyway it should not matter really as I said before. Only thing that could be useful about those rated current ports is to charge slower eg. charging 2 amp device with 1 amp port in order to prolong battery life with slower charge.
One that looks really good is Xtar:
https://www.xtar.cc/product/4U-27W-4-Port-USB-Charger-2.html
What is that first one i like that...still wary of em but worth a shot.
I cant find a price for that blue one tho, thats more of a form factor i can work with. Are we talking 10 bux or 50 bux?

Have u ever bothered to check those ports to see what they are actually putting out? i use ampere on my phone to check all those mini power banks u get at the gas station.

Than why do batteries sometimes get so hot u cant hold them when u charge them and why does every charger warn you never to leave a charging battery unattended?
As @zouzounaki explained in detail it is true. I won't argue further since it would be waste of time. If you want to confirm / deny please investigate first before making claims. Batteries are getting hot mainly due to chemical reaction that is taking place and sometimes due to transferred heat from the charging circuitry. No circuitry is 100% efficient so the rest of energy is basically heat. The advice not to leave any charger unintended is sound because we have both electrical circuitry pumping energy into something and that something is chemical battery which is not safe by default, or at least should be treated like that. Li-ion batteries are really great regarding the amount and density of energy they store but far from the safest. If interested Google 'battery university' to learn more.

Have u ever bothered to check those ports to see what they are actually putting out? i use ampere on my phone to check all those mini power banks u get at the gas station.
I said that I don't have a device of the picture that I sent. It was just an example for you to check if interested in devices that have such capabilities. And yes, I did current testing of the charger I do have. Currents are always lower than device being charged is rated at and go down as the device is charged. For example my phone is 2 amps and charges at 1.7 amps approx then it goes down to zero. My bluetooth phones are charging at about 0,3 amps at the beginning and go down again to zero. All on the same charger that is rated at 3 amps total, 2.1 amps per usb port.

Interesting read. @zouzounaki and @Giurra are correct. The device will draw at it's current limit specified in the design. Only time it could draw more is under fault conditions which is why everyone knows never to leave devices charging unattended.

Back
Top Bottom