What's new

A FINAL Comment on the Abyss.

Rob

Administrator
Staff member
So as you all know by now, I have struggled, sworn, moaned and groaned, but have somehow kept on with my attempts to get a vape that suits me and is as near Condensation and Leak Free as possible with the Abyss?
I am also very aware that many have retired their's by now and can completely understand why. However, I have been convinced throughout my lengthy journey that it would eventually become what I had hoped for as far as becoming a useful addition to the Ready Made Coil arsenal that I have been building up for when the increasing bad days hit when the tremors render any form of building to be impossible.

Now at the outset I will add the following disclaimer. :doh:
No one should reasonably expect to go through such a mind boggling time to get a new product to finally behave in what I would now consider to be a satisfactory manner.

I am sorry @dovpo_hannah and @dovpo_uk but I really do feel that some of my findings, or should I say conclusions should have been caught when the item was first designed and then put through whatever Beta Testing was or wasn't done prior to launch. However I WILL say that none of this can be laid at your individual doors and that MUST be made clear.:)

I completely understand what the original thought processes were and what the final aim was when designing the Abyss. On Paper, an AIO device that was capable of running just about ANY type of Ready Made Coil and yet capable of accepting the majority of available RBA Bridges was a brilliant concept. Add to that the Side By Side Mode and technically speaking, it looked good.

To my own admission........ Much of my frustrations came about by being, somewhat reluctantly, led down many different paths when it came to Ready Made Coils.
I acknowledge that everyone likes different things, which in itself made your lives harder, but after endless attempts with many brands of coil, some being considerably better than others, I very nearly gave up.
I then concentrated my efforts on the Ether RBA and the Atmizoo VapeShell. Whilst using these, my first "Hack" came to mind and I am delighted to say... Worked.
I replaced the 2 O Rings that hold the Bridge securely in the Tank. To be clear, I mean in the Top Cap and the Bottom Plate.
By increasing the size "FRACTIONALLY" and using Silicon O Rings, I have achieved zero Leaking Issues, not a drop!
To stop condensation build up on the 510 Plate and the Base of the Tank, I simply used "The Gap" and pushed the Tank upwards to fill the gap at the top between the Tank and the Top Cap.

HOWEVER.......
I have finally admitted complete defeat as far as 99% of Ready Made Coils are concerned. What ever brand I used caused problems. In one case, TERMINAL problems. Killing my favourite "Classical" (Silver) Abyss. :( These "Problems" were caused by Liquid ingress deep within the Mod's Body. Yes, IF anyone more dextrous than myself had stripped down the ENTIRE Unit when cleaning, then they may have saved this particular Mod, but to access where the damage was done would mean complete disassembly and THAT is surely wrong? However, it is what it is and yet another lesson learned.
I purchased a Side By Side Adaptor Kit and used that for a while, but all the time it niggled me considerably that this Mod should do SO much more.........

I stopped using the Abyss. :(:28:

In the meanwhile, Carol whom had owned 5 of the Abyss, gave them up as soon as she had a Nautilus Prime X. I too tried a couple and we are both more than satisfied with what they do. But on a personal level, I kept looking at the Paperweight that was my Abyss and kept wondering........

The Nautilus Prime X had reacquainted us with Aspire Coils and this set my train of recent thought.
So Yesterday morning, I rebuilt the Abyss using my modified Tank and the Aspire 0.3ohm Coil and it was then that my Lightbulb moment happened :2thumbsup:

The Abyss comes with the Nautilus Coil Bridge as Standard. TRY IT!!
The main leakage point has always been the Connector that makes contact with the 510 Pin in the device, or in our experience that has been the case.
Now look at the much maligned Nautilus Coil Bridge! UNLIKE the others... EUC, PNP, Caliburn etc, the screw on Base section doesn't have any slots! There's your answer!!
I have had approximately 60 mls through the Tank and Coil since yesterday morning and have not used anything else for 24hrs plus. Heart in Mouth, removed the Tank half an hour ago to check and NOT ONE DROP! NO Condensation either!!

Sorry it's War and Peace, but after 8 months I have FINALLY begun to "like" the Abyss.:16:
I am very aware that all of this relies entirely upon our personal choice of Wattage and Ohm-age but not everyone wants to HAVE to vape at 35/40 Watts. Some of us prefer a cooler vape at around 20/22 watts!!

Whether the Abyss remains within the rotation remains to be seen, but IF my hacks have actually worked Long Term, finally there appears to be some hope!

I feel your frustration Rob, hats off to you for your perseverance. The Abyss is a great concept, but in reality with all those options come all the niggles to go with them.

Thanks @Rob again for the post, feedback and honesty.

I don’t want this to sound like a cop out but all I can do from my chair in the UK is pass you comments and post to my colleagues at head office.

The Abyss is a great concept and I’ll ensure that the feedback is passed on to the designers at Suicide Mods and the Manufacturing Team at Dovpo.

And I’m sure @dovpo_hannah will do the same.

Thanks Andy

As I said Andy........
NO blame can be laid at either your, or @dovpo_hannah doors. I didn't post this to engage as such, more in an attempt to explain that it IS possible to get the thing working as it should have done at the outset. :2thumbsup:;)

more in an attempt to explain that it IS possible to get the thing working as it should have done at the outset.

Providing you stick with the Nautilus Coil Bridge or use it as a SBS!!! :hmm:

Think I would be more satisfied if it didn't leak/condensate into the Mod itself, would be better if the 510 could be sealed in some way so it just wept out the AFC occasionally, much easier to deal with.

Been a lot happier since mine went, i lost a good bit of money but you live and learn.

Been a lot happier since mine went, i lost a good bit of money but you live and learn.
I dodged a bullet i was going to buy one and was advised not to by a good friend in a B&M store, felt a bit lucky a few times.

Had one for abit and like Rob said if it weren't fir the leak onto the board probably would have kept it abit longer but from wat I seen on the abyss fb page not long ago iam glad I did get rid off it in the end as all I seen was people have problems with leaking and the mod just playing up changing wattage and switching off and not turning back on for awhile

I looked at it, I look at everything :doh:Seems to me it had too many problems and was a bit pricey. The abyss was rushed out, no fixes offered down the line, sod that. Shame, because Dovpo have produced some excellent hardware.

Back
Top Bottom