What's new

Slow load times - Broken Signature Links

hack400

Olympian
Hi @Purplefowler @Rob,

I use the new posts link to interact with the forum. Clicking on a thread link takes you to the latest unread post. What I am seeing is that I am taken to that unread post, but the page has not completed loading. I start reading posts, moving around the page. Then all of a sudden the page repositions to the first unread post.

So, looks to me like the onpageload event for the form is positioning to the first unread post. Because there are broken links in the signatures of some members, that is happening (for me) up to 20+ seconds after the page is initially displayed. That means that I have navigated around the page reading posts, then 20 seconds later the page jumps back to the post that was initially displayed. Quite challenging as a user experience :)

Here's an example.
request.png

Timing (21 seconds)
timing.png

Initiator
initiator.png

Is there some way that the forum admin tools can clean up broken signatures?

If needed I can point you to the specific member who has this signature. But I have noticed others as well, so not sure that will help.

Is there something I can do to in forum settings to stop this? Collapsing signatures doesn't help.

Thanks!

Better get the Man with the Tool Kit :) OR... The Large Lump Hammer :)

I can't seem to find a way to automate this on Xenforo without massive server load and further delays!
I think it's going to be a manual thing and we see them but good catch!

Thanks,

I can't seem to find a way to automate this on Xenforo without massive server load and further delays!
I think it's going to be a manual thing and we see them but good catch!

Thanks,
Thanks for looking in to it! I appreciate the only way to resolve it without just removing every signature would be to have the server check every link in the signatures, which would be, like you say, lengthy :) Cheers!

Thanks for looking in to it! I appreciate the only way to resolve it without just removing every signature would be to have the server check every link in the signatures, which would be, like you say, lengthy :) Cheers!
I suppose I could pull a copy of the signature table down locally and run some tests?

Definitely food for thought though mate, cheers!

I suppose I could pull a copy of the signature table down locally and run some tests?

You could read through the data and do an http get and see what response you receive. Log the ones that return errors. I feel like I am probably saying something you already know though. Good luck!

Simplest way would've been accepting my solution to just ban everybody. People always get in the way of perfection.

Back
Top Bottom