What's new

the dangers of fake cells and ****fire cells in general.

gords1001

Achiever
We've known about both fake cells and ****fire cells in the torch game for a long long time.

However, just in case anyones in any doubt. Consider someone could get one of these cells and dtop them in a mech with a .4ohm coil in it......

http://www.budgetlightforum.com/node/27603

My user name is the same there as here, all the other links contained in that link are worth following too.

No worries kms, I stuck it on general notices hoping as many people as possible would stumble over it. I didn't check if the link to the light that blew up and took out a coffee machine was in there but that's another one people should be aware of. Particularly in series connected box mods where protected cells and balanced cells are imo an essential item

I've got two of these I bought from Ebay thinking they were a good price....They don't fit any of my mods (Vamo, Nemeisis, Maraxus, Chi You).....I think I'll just throw them in the bin....:(

Here's the thread I was referring to.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?280909-Ultrafire-18650-3000mA-exploded

The autopsy concluded one cell had reverse charged the other causing a failure and vent with flame. The protection circuits on cells are there to prevent over charge, over discharge, over current and reverse charging. I do wish they would make mech mods that would take good protected cells, I have panasonics, sanyos and samsungs that can all easily do 5a, good ebough for most of my vaping needs. It just makes no srnse to not be able to use them in the potentially most lethal li ion devices I have.

The major issue with battery safety is when the end user tries to 'push the envelope'.

Anyone who wants to risk using a sub ohm coil in a mech mod should be aware of the possible dangers before even attempting it and plan accordingly.

Easy ways to minimise such problems would be to refrain from using sub ohm coils and stacking batteries.

Those that wish to 'push the enevelope' should also be willing to take responsibility for their own safety by buying from reputable sources, using good quality chargers and performing their own checks.

Plenty of information available : http://batteryuniversity.com/

I'm one of those who know nothing about batteries and resistances. I'm currently using ultrafire 18350's in my SVD. Are these ok as the lowest ohm coil I use are 1.5?

Sent from my XT1032 using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

I accept that anything that occurs due to my meddling is entirely my own fault,but that does not excuse rip-off battery labellers selling dangerous batteries.If I pay out money for a product,I expect it to actually BE that product & in the case of batteries,if the label says its a protected cell,then I want that protection.I also know that faking occurs,so will only buy items other recommend.

In reference to the ultrafire 18350 cells. Its possible they are ok. But, a couple of efests cost a tenner and are known to be good. Aw cells are known to be good. As long as you use a reputable, known vender who is active on the forums relating to li ion devices (torches, rc, now vaping etc) there is a very good chance you wont get (pardon the expression) burned, take a risk on an unknown ebay seller or budget store from china, or the cells are ridiculously cheap, id be very very wary.

As for stacking cells. Well, there is little need to do it in vaping, unless your building some sort of vv/vw device where the board needs 8.4v+ input to give full regulation. (Vamo springs to mind) in that case, reputable cells are more likely to "match" consistently and so discharge at an even rate, using a good reputable charger is more likely to result in balanced cells although the ideal would be to connect the cells up on series with a balance lead and use a hobby charger to charge.....yeah that's pretty involved, I'm content using my xtar wp2 ii for most charging duties, but I only regularly use series cells in my high out put torches I build, dont forget, you can get 20w out of one 4.2v cell with a dna20, stacking cells is just not necessary for vaping.

All the above information is also why the cheap 510 devices with a sealed cell and usb charger scare the crap out of me, I know enough to just not be prepared to trust those devices, not when I know I can run cells I trust and chargers I trust to terminate correctly.

Back
Top Bottom