What's new

Yet again, another reason to 'trust' Big Pharma

Profit drives the world, that is poop. It feels like an unending greed at the cost of everything else. Have you heard of a game called agar.io? Kinda reminds me of the world's corporations, gradually absorbing smaller companies and growing a little until they're huge and unstoppable.

There is irreparable damage being done to the planet every day in the name of profit, people's human rights and living standards are being eroded in the name of profit. Governments are also working with corporations to strip people's rights and privacy day by day.

The point I was trying to make is yes, this is terrible (or just 'bad' depending on how you frame it) but it's a drop in the ocean compared to what goes on every day.

Individuals are increasingly dissatisfied with their lives even if they're doing ok at 'the game' (making money), it's like we've lost touch of what life's about and now fill the void with empty calories instead of nourishing food. Life isn't about reality tv and soaps, it's not about selfies and narcissism, it's not about what car you own or the size of your house, it's not about the latest iphone that syncs with your watch. It's not about data collection and 'customer profiles' and it's not about profit.

I just wish I could fast forward a few hundred years to see where this shit storm is heading.

There are massive social hurdles to overcome, religion, race, sexuality etc. We're taught to fear others, it's a culture of mistrust and suspicion and that works for those in charge. If we're to truly progress as a species we need a global shift in mindset.

There's enough food to feed everyone on the planet and yet billions are starving, we're killing entire species of animals who have happily existed for millions of years before the need for greed reared it's ugly head. All in the name of money, an artificial construct which ultimately means nothing.

So, I agree, this one guy from one company putting up the price of one drug in line with other companies in the sector (for the sake of profit) is a bad thing but things are pretty screwed in general.

(Wow, full on hippy mode today! :) )

.....apologies!

I do agree with all your points apart from the profit one. I don't need a tonne of money to be happy, but money in general surely helps (if it is spent wisely on good thing), so to that end i am in the game right now. As i see it right now, we might as well end up like in one of those films where there's a planet full of rich fucks and a planet full of poor slaves who are exploited by the rich. I for one do not want to live in a world like that, but my children or grand-grand-grand children might, so i would much rather that they live on the rich planet.

I do agree with all your points apart from the profit one. I don't need a tonne of money to be happy, but money in general surely helps (if it is spent wisely on good thing), so to that end i am in the game right now. As i see it right now, we might as well end up like in one of those films where there's a planet full of rich fucks and a planet full of poor slaves who are exploited by the rich. I for one do not want to live in a world like that, but my children or grand-grand-grand children might, so i would much rather that they live on the rich planet.

I don't think anyone needs a tonne of money, I think it's something we're taught to chase but ultimately it doesn't mean anything at all.

I really hope the rich/poor divide doesn't increase but then I'm an idealist ;)

Back
Top Bottom