What's new

Vaping Injuries "Like being shot in the face"

andipandi

Legend
Guardian online today:

The number of smokers injured by exploding electronic cigarettes has prompted warnings of dangers to users, with one burns surgeon revealing reports of injuries so serious that they were comparable to that of someone being “shot in the face with a gun”.

The warnings are being supported by fire chiefs and trading standards officials, who say that consumers tempted to buy cheap or imported “vaping” kits could end up being badly hurt.

Surgeons at Morriston Hospital’s Welsh Centre for Burns and Plastic Surgery in Swansea said they had treated five patients for burns after the batteries inside e-cigarette exploded. “Before this year, we hadn’t seen any injuries like this. Now we have had five, which reflects the rising popularity of these e-cigarettes,” said hospital consultant plastic surgeon Dai Nguyen.

Three of the patients treated at the hospital had their e-cigarette devices in their trouser pockets when they exploded. They include a 25-year-old who was paintballing at the time and a factory worker who suffered thigh and groin injuries, as well as burns to his hand, when he tried to extinguish the flames.

The patients Nguyen has seen only suffered superficial burns and have made a good recovery, but she said: “I am aware of other cases which have required surgery and skin grafts. “There have also been reports of e-cigarettes exploding in people’s mouths, which resulted in catastrophic injuries similar to those you would experience if you were shot in the face with a gun.”

https://www.theguardian.com/society...electronic-cigarettes-like-being-shot-in-face

lesson: don't buy cheap shit and go paintballing... dumb fucks!

big up the Tempest ITU massive ;)

is very sad news, but i think the bottom line, is the problem of ignorance, if every that uses mod and this type of battery, which a very similar to those use RC model, and the very same one in mobile and laptop. knows how to handle them.

Should not be any issue, i do have an unwrap efest 18650 from 4 months i know i should not be using it, but i know how to use it, so far not problem, crossed finger

Brilliant reporting.

"We have seen 5......3 were in pocket........superficial burns....
BUT, there are reports of other injuries like being shot it the face with a gun"

Headline becomes the worst obviously.

Looks bad for vaping but we know, yes it can happen but not the norm.
User or quality error.

Samsung tablets blow up, phones blow up etc. but vaping gets bad press from certain places all the time.

At a guess 0.05% of the population are allergic to peanuts.
The headline above is irresponsible and misleading.
It is akin to:-

DEADLY PEANUTS BEING SOLD BY TESCO'S

Factually correct, TINY %, not seen by the reportee but "heard about it".
The headline is misleading but not a lie - makes me mad and want to swear!

is very sad news, but i think the bottom line, is the problem of ignorance, if every that uses mod and this type of battery, which a very similar to those use RC model, and the very same one in mobile and laptop. knows how to handle them.

Should not be any issue, i do have an unwrap efest 18650 from 4 months i know i should not be using it, but i know how to use it, so far not problem, crossed finger

:omg:
Please buy a wrap before you become a story.
Appreciate you may be careful but "Fingers Crossed" in your own reply means you know you should do something.
Wrap or new battery.
Cheers.

I've sewn people shot in the face and was myself shot in. the back in 2004 (didn't penetrate but smashed my clavicle). No vaping related injury I've seen so far can really compare. Just more scaremongering from the press.

'shot in the face with a gun'
I would suggest the doctors/surgeons need some SERIOUS retraining, and would be best avoided until they have received said training !
Being shot in the face results in a fairly fuckin sizeable EXIT WOUND at the other side !
In today's world, I'd expect a 1st year trainee nurse to be able to tell the difference beteen a bullet wound and a fuckin burn !

Agree with @johnr7 - @AdriaNocenzi just wrap it mate, it's not worth risking it!!

I am not sure if they are all cheap imports, they could well be unguarded batteries that have shorted against keys or change, they could be mechs that have fired due to no lock button and got so hot they popped. I doubt these were all cheap ego batteries that went pop by themselves.

Unless you're a complete moron, Vaping is about as dangerous as shooting my load on my wife's face. No injuries, no 3rd degree burns, no skin grafts, just a sticky mess that's wipes off.

I've witnessed a pen type device shorting in a pocket, fortunately no harm was done. This was caused by the device getting damaged in the pocket and being next to a set of keys. Needless to say, it was not an accident, just human error. Treat your kit with the respect it deserves, no problems.

Back
Top Bottom