What's new

This morning on itv ecigs give you cancer

Yeah, I've given up a few times before using patches and gum .... but I returned to smoking months later, so in my mind they don't work. Quitting smoking is easy we've all done it before but nothing else other than vaping has made me stay off them and not only that, it's made me never want to go back.... three months on patches and not a day went by that I didn't want a cigarette and it was so easy to slip back. That's why I'm not in the mindset of quitting vaping.

The first week on the patches I hated it, was dying for a ciggy. After that the cravings got less and after a month, I kicked it all and was fine unless I was drinking. Usually pinched one off a mate, which I was fine with stopping the next day. But noone smoked at that wedding so I bought a pack and obviously finished it, which got me started again after 8 months.

I think it's going to be hard to get a definitive answer on what the harm reduction with vaping compared to ciggys actually is. A could chaser for example can produce one cloud that's bigger than an entire pack of smokes and you don't direct lung a ciggy either. Absorption rates etc will also differ so it's going to be near impossible to get a figure that's going to be universally accepted.

I just watched that Twitter clip twice ... did Dr Chris really say to buy an ecig made by a 'real tobacco company'? Did he seriously just say not to buy a Chinese manufactured vape, and go for a fucking British American Tobacco one instead?! I am gobsmacked :11:

Benefits of PG

1.1 What is propylene glycol?

Propylene glycol is a synthetic liquid substance that absorbs water. Propylene glycol is also used to make polyester compounds, and as a base for deicing solutions. Propylene glycol is used by the chemical, food, and pharmaceutical industries as an antifreeze when leakage might lead to contact with food. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has classified propylene glycol as an additive that is "generally recognized as safe" for use in food. It is used to absorb extra water and maintain moisture in certain medicines, cosmetics, or food products. It is a solvent for food colors and flavors, and in the paint and plastics industries. Propylene glycol is also used to create artificial smoke or fog used in fire-fighting training and in theatrical productions.

If it was an issue to inhale PG vapour would it be used to train fire fighters?

Benefits of VG.

https://healthyliving.azcentral.com/what-are-the-benefits-of-vegetable-glycerine-12188361.html

There are many anti-aging benefits when using vegetable glycerine. Its excellent moisturizing properties aid in keeping skin looking young and healthy. Retaining moisture is vital for keeping skin in its best condition. It also draws oxygen into the skin, which is beneficial for anti-aging as well. There are many factors that cause dry skin and accelerate aging, and vegetable glycerine is an effective agent against these elements. It can be used in face washes and moisturizers.

Acne
Vegetable glycerine is hypoallergenic, and people suffering from acne can use this product without worry that it will aggravate their condition. Vegetable glycerine is also very antibacterial and aids in preventing breakouts and keeping pores clear. It also can speed healing of present acne lesions. It is not inflammatory and will not irritate skin like many other products with harsh chemical ingredients.

Skin Conditions
Eczema and psoriasis are two skin conditions marked by infection, irritation and itching. Many moisturizers used by people with normal skin conditions are either ineffective or can aggravate the condition. Vegetable glycerine is a very pure, nonirritating substance and can ease the discomfort of these conditions. Its antibacterial properties can also protect the skin from infection. It is best in its pure form for these conditions. Using a typical store product that contains it as just one of many ingredients will not have the same effect. Do not use it on infected skin that is weeping or oozing.

Food
Even though vegetable glycerine is a carbohydrate, it does not have a large effect on blood sugar and can safely be used by people using insulin. Its sweetening and moistening properties make it a useful ingredient in many types of foods. Vegetable glycerine is also a natural preservative.

Herbal Preparations
This substance is a powerful solvent and is useful in preparing herbal remedies. It can be used in place of alcohol when extracting the compounds from plants. In addition, its sweet flavor can make herbal preparations with unpleasant tasting herbs more palatable.

Hair Care
Vegetable glycerine’s moisturizing properties are beneficial for hair as well as skin. Dry, brittle hair will benefit from using hair care products made with it. Direct application of the oil can be extra powerful. If someone suffers from a dry, flaky scalp, rubbing vegetable glycerine into it can alleviate this irritation. This can be particularly beneficial for African-American women who tend to have these types of hair issues. In addition to its moisturizing properties, it also strengthens the hair and makes breakage and split ends less likely.

https://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/drugs-alcohol/nicotine-health-benefits.htm

This just leaves flavourings.

I just watched that Twitter clip twice ... did Dr Chris really say to buy an ecig made by a 'real tobacco company'? Did he seriously just say not to buy a Chinese manufactured vape, and go for a fucking British American Tobacco one instead?! I am gobsmacked :11:

Yep In his Chinese material suit with his Far East made shoes and holly shit, those glasses yep China

How many items don’t come from China or Korea or Taiwan or any other country in the far east can’t see his logic and I find it rather disturbing

Cancer Research UK’s response to today’s article

F29F3678-E686-4266-984F-771B1C5DE09E.png

There's a definite possibility that city air is bad for you but that's not directly in your control like vaping or smoking.

I'm just saying that vaping is often referred to as a better nicotine replacement therapy for stopping smoking than patches or nicotine gum, but you're expected to stop the patches/gum when you're over the habit. That final step isn't really there when it comes to vaping, at least not with me or people I know. Just been wondering why for the last few weeks.

My vape sessions might be a couple of toots at my desk every hour opposed to 4 or 5 fags throughout the course of the working day. Or maybe a 10 minutes of chain vaping when I'm home and then back to a couple toots every half hour. I used to smoke 20 a day and went to vaping with a mindset of stopping smoking. I'd say I vape more than I smoke but I also lowered my nic because I was aware I was doing that.

Patches worked for me the first time I stopped smoking. Kicked the fags and patches for 8 months then got drunk at a wedding, bought a pack and started up again. Switched to vaping and don't really like fags anymore but I have no intention of stopping vaping.

Part of me wonders if it's because the vape is flavoured or if something in my mind is telling me vaping is much less harmful than fags (which I think is true but noone really knows to what extent it's less harmful) that I don't have that mindset of chucking the vape too at some point.

It’s because vaping is enjoyable, and nicotine patches, gum etc aren’t. That’s why they don’t work very well, and vaping does. People don’t like giving up things that are good fun.

Many things that we like are bad for us. In the case of nicotine, vaping seems to be much less bad than smoking. But we don’t need to abstain from everything. If vaping is good fun and potentially even less harmful than the air we need to breathe, what would be the imperative to give it up?

Mobile phones give you cancer too but everyone seemed to stop worrying about that when the new iPhone came out.

Remember when they were advising people not to hold them to the side of their head and use an ear piece because it could give you a brain tumor?

It’s because vaping is enjoyable, and nicotine patches, gum etc aren’t. That’s why they don’t work very well, and vaping does. People don’t like giving up things that are good fun.

Many things that we like are bad for us. In the case of nicotine, vaping seems to be much less bad than smoking. But we don’t need to abstain from everything. If vaping is good fun and potentially even less harmful than the air we need to breathe, what would be the imperative to give it up?

For the same reason as giving up smoking, it's enjoyable but it's bad for you. It's like saying getting stabbed is far less harmful than getting shot. Far less harmful is still harmful, neither is beneficial for your health and nicotine is still an addictive poison. Then again, what's the point of living if we can't have our vices.

I guess what started this off in my head was that I saw vaping as a means to stop smoking as people say it's the best NRT, which I agree with. But you're supposed to stop NRT at some stage and that mindset doesn't transfer with vaping. So can you really say vaping is a good NRT or just an alternative to smoking and you haven't technically quit?

For the same reason as giving up smoking, it's enjoyable but it's bad for you. It's like saying getting stabbed is far less harmful than getting shot. Far less harmful is still harmful, neither is beneficial for your health and nicotine is still an addictive poison. Then again, what's the point of living if we can't have our vices.

I guess what started this off in my head was that I saw vaping as a means to stop smoking as people say it's the best NRT, which I agree with. But you're supposed to stop NRT at some stage and that mindset doesn't transfer with vaping. So can you really say vaping is a good NRT or just an alternative to smoking and you haven't technically quit?

Well I have most definitely why smoking. And taken up vaping.

Like I say, you have to think in relative terms. We all do countless things that are harmful. Living is harmful. If vaping is potentially no more harmful than breathing, then I’m quite happy with the potential harm. Even if it’s a bit more harmful than breathing, I’m still happy about it. Fags are deathly. I feel much healthier since I took up vaping, so for me that is good enough. This is what it’s really about, see, whether the individual person is happy and thinks their current lot is good enough.

If we worry about the harm of vaping, then really we shouldn’t drink, shouldn’t fry food, or grill it, or eat toast that’s slightly burnt, or breath city air or drive.

You have to draw a line, otherwise there can be a tendency to end up like the temperance society. Less than a hundred years ago there were tens of thousands marching on the streets of my city demanding an alcohol ban. That’s a bit extreme for me, I’m afraid.

Some people smoke, and don’t intend to quit. That’s fine and it’s their choice, after all, so given that I like nicotine and have decided for myself that the potential risk is acceptable, and would undoubtedly still be smoking myself if I hadn’t taken up the ecigs so I have no concern whatsoever about vaping. It doesn’t worry me in the slightest.

Back
Top Bottom