What's new

The Sun has a dig at vaping again

OK. Where do we draw the line on 'cartoony'? How about Futurama or South Park characters?

OK. Where do we draw the line on 'cartoony'? How about Futurama or South Park characters?
Well the robot in Futurama is the spitting image of a Nautilus 2 [emoji16]. Bet there's a Bender juice as well [emoji23]

......those characters are adult because they appear in 'adult' cartoons, therefore Sammy the Strawberry is an adult character because he appears on an adult product?

it's an angle but I'm not totally convinced... yet.

I keep thinking about Japan with it's little cartoon anime characters on everything from dildos to coffee, I find that quite disturbing too, so maybe it is just a cultural thing.

......those characters are adult because they appear in 'adult' cartoons, therefore Sammy the Strawberry is an adult character because he appears on an adult product?

it's an angle but I'm not totally convinced... yet.

I keep thinking about Japan with it's little cartoon anime characters on everything from dildos to coffee, I find that quite disturbing too, so maybe it is just a cultural thing.
That is kind of where I'm going. How would the Sun see it ......... and I doubt it would make much difference. I'm just interested in separating flavour, 'taste' and morals. Sorry if I'm on a bit of a mission! :8: :D

That is kind of where I'm going. How would the Sun see it ......... and I doubt it would make much difference. I'm just interested in separating flavour, 'taste' and morals. Sorry if I'm on a bit of a mission! :8: :D

no need to say sorry, it's an interesting conversation .. and it's given me a lot to think about.

maybe it's part of a bigger discussion about branding and packaging overall. E-liquids don't exist in isolation and now we have them on open display in supermarkets, not just vaping specific shops which children aren't allowed in (I think??) I think there does need to be a line somewhere and I think there will be one drawn eventually regardless, or at least some kind of guidelines of what is and isn't appropriate. I think most would be on the right side of that already, but If it comes down to 'clean your shit up, make it look adult and responsible or we will force plain packaging on you' that isn't a win for vaping is it?

Agreed. And I'd also like to see more new juice makers not falling at the first hurdle - if the 'line' was more clearly visible it would help them? At them moment it's just really easy for them to do what many others are already doing ... and it's often the quickest way to find the customers who might want their flavours.

E-liquid is only on "open display" in supermarkets at the tobacco counter, in my experience, it's not like it's there on front of kids as they queue up at the checkouts.

And as for stopping the Sun from having a go at vaping, good luck with that. The Sun will always find ways to have a go at whatever agenda it is required to by whoever influences it's policy.

Hiding things away to avoid that is a bad path to go down. We should be fighting against negative press, not hiding. We need advocacy, not capitulation.

Of course, if parents, stupid overage people and shopkeepers actually supported our laws on underage smoking, drinking and vaping etc, we wouldn't need any discussions on marketing aimed at kids in the first place.

"Can I buy that.."
"No, you aren't old enough"
"Well can you buy it for me?"
"No"
"But..."
"No. You need to grow up before you can do grownup things"
End of. And if you don't shut up about it you'll have to go to bed early without any supper.

Untitled-1.png

That branding could take over the Europe eliquid market.

Hitler_Halloween_Costume_Cartman.png

Back
Top Bottom