What's new

The rise of vaping

@bestkeptsecret the views you are expressing appear very black and white, and oversimplistic.

Simple is as simple does;)

I believe that as long as I'm not hurting anyone else, I should be allowed to do whatever I like. It should be down to me to decide how risky something is and whether I find that risk acceptable. I'm not a child and I don't need to be risk managed by regulation.

As I already said in my earlier post, I think I should be allowed to do what I want as long as I'm not hurting anyone else.

But you’re missing my point, I think. A guy might live in the flat downstairs from me and think that it’s okay, just as an example, to set himself on fire now and again, for some kind of pleasure. He might think it’s fine to take the risk and puts himself out quickly, and he’s not hurting anybody else, but I would strongly disagree.

What I am saying is, your idea of what has the potential to impact on somebody else might be substantially different from their idea. It’s not really black and white, is it?

I believe that as long as I'm not hurting anyone else, I should be allowed to do whatever I like.

What if your risk-taking ended up costing me money?

While riding a donkey, nude and high on ketamine, you could have an accident involving Richard Branson and a Virgin train. First, there's the trauma of the first-responders who have to witness the mess of twisted steel and entrails - then there's the extensive clean-up costs. And, also, you will suck up NHS resources while they extricate Branson's beard from your large intestine.

My initial response was flippant and meant to be light-hearted, but (as you can see from this post) there can be real unforeseen repercussions from individual actions.

The Dunning–Kruger effect is real. I should know, I am its embodiment.

But you’re missing my point, I think. A guy might live in the flat downstairs from me and think that it’s okay, just as an example, to set himself on fire now and again, for some kind of pleasure. He might think it’s fine to take the risk and puts himself out quickly, and he’s not hurting anybody else, but I would strongly disagree.

What I am saying is, your idea of what has the potential to impact on somebody else might be substantially different from their idea. It’s not really black and white, is it?

This is as classic reductio ad absurdum style argument. as is @Mawsley 's

You could make a great case for banning any sub ohm vaping and mech mods on that basis. It carries an increased risk of battery venting and explosion and that could cause injury to others. It could cost taxpayers money even if it didn't cause injury to others. If we are going to legislate for every eventuality including such things as bizarre and unlikely as preventing people from riding a donkey, nude and high on ketamine sub ohm vaping will be a thing of the past. TPD will be the least of people's worries.

Like I said in my earlier post, I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to do what I want as long as I'm not causing harm to others. I didn't think that would be a particularly contentious thing to say to be honest.

You could make a great case for banning any sub ohm vaping and mech mods on that basis. .

Banning? Who said banning?

I fully support your choice to abuse substances, donkeys and the staff at Homebase. I just think you should have a little man waving a flag and a Catholic priest to tell you "Careful now!"

Congratulations @bestkeptsecret for being the second person in a matter of days to read far too much seriousness into anything I post. I reductio the shit out of life because everything is absurdum.

It's interesting, but I'd say some of the things it says are a load of crap, I've spilled juice on my skin numerous times and I've had no I'll effects from it
Yes I have had mouthfuls of 12mg liquid pulling stopper off with my teeth..again no issues at all..it’s all hype they want to victimise everything they need to find something bad in everything nobody is interested in the good stuff.

This is as classic reductio ad absurdum style argument. as is @Mawsley 's

You could make a great case for banning any sub ohm vaping and mech mods on that basis. It carries an increased risk of battery venting and explosion and that could cause injury to others. It could cost taxpayers money even if it didn't cause injury to others. If we are going to legislate for every eventuality including such things as bizarre and unlikely as preventing people from riding a donkey, nude and high on ketamine sub ohm vaping will be a thing of the past. TPD will be the least of people's worries.

Like I said in my earlier post, I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to do what I want as long as I'm not causing harm to others. I didn't think that would be a particularly contentious thing to say to be honest.

It’s not a classic reductio ad absurdum style argument. We could replace the man with a fire fetish for a man living in the flat downstairs from you with advanced dementia who has a gas cooker and likes frying chips in a pan. He might ha e already set his house on fire a few times, but he’s not harmed you yet, so does that make it ok?

A man believed a paranoid delusion that related to electricity, and stripped all of the electrical cabling out the walls of his house. He didn’t harm anybody but it was apparently a real mess and a massive fire risk.

Back
Top Bottom