What's new

RIP Isle of Custard

Lord Grim

Veteran
I didn't really know where to post this, but it's definitely news, so here it is. I received this in my inbox today :

Now some doom and gloom….

We are getting increasing numbers of message asking how The Isle Of Custard is going to cope with all the additional costs and jumping through hoops, demanded by the EU's Tobacco Products Directive (TPD) which has now been signed into UK law. Unless there is a dramatic change of circumstances, the answer is - we're not!

The truth is we are too small an enterprise to afford the cost of testing and registering all of our products and at the same time we cannot risk breaking the law. The TPD, although widely criticised by vapers, medical professionals and even the politicians for being grossly unfair to small producers while favouring the big pharmaceutical and tobacco companies, is now a part of British law - and we are stuck with it. Even Brexit hasn't changed that!

We are not allowed to produce any juices after November, and although we can continue to sell those we have in stock until May 2017, we doubt our stocks will last until the New Year.

If and when we have a definite closing date or if anything changes in the meantime, you will, of course, be notified. Until then we will continue to sell the best custard e-juice across the Seven Seas.

Thanks for coming this far with us, loyal and trusted friends!

Bosun Rusty Duck

I didn't really know where to post this, but it's definitely news, so here it is. I received this in my inbox today :

We are getting increasing numbers of message asking how The Isle Of Custard is going to cope with all the additional costs and jumping through hoops, demanded by the EU's Tobacco Products Directive (TPD) which has now been signed into UK law. Unless there is a dramatic change of circumstances, the answer is - we're not!

The truth is we are too small an enterprise to afford the cost of testing and registering all of our products and at the same time we cannot risk breaking the law. The TPD, although widely criticised by vapers, medical professionals and even the politicians for being grossly unfair to small producers while favouring the big pharmaceutical and tobacco companies, is now a part of British law - and we are stuck with it. Even Brexit hasn't changed that!

We are not allowed to produce any juices after November, and although we can continue to sell those we have in stock until May 2017, we doubt our stocks will last until the New Year.

If and when we have a definite closing date or if anything changes in the meantime, you will, of course, be notified. Until then we will continue to sell the best custard e-juice across the Seven Seas.

Bosun Rusty Duck
Ahhh fuck

I hate to see this happening to people that have invested time and love because of greed and nonsense
:(

Ah crap. A great British juice manufacturer flushed. Soon it will be hostile takeovers for all our favourite juices. Big tobacco and pharma. If they can't beat you they buy you.
Not happy.

Ahhh fuck

I hate to see this happening to people that have invested time and love because of greed and nonsense
:(
Based on the amount of mixologists that are heavily discounting at the mo, I'd say they are not the last

Shit, that's really bad news :( He's built up a really nice brand a good following of loyal customers. Be a real shame to see them go. Yes I agree @Lord Grim - he's not going to be the only casualty. I think the lack of action since the TPD came in in May has caused lulled a lot of us into the sense that things are just carrying on as normal. Things will start to bite shortly and this isn't the only company we will see talking about having to shut up shop.

Bosun Rusty Duck
This is bad news, yet another company going due to the tpd. Why not just take no notice, the TPD is unpoliceable. You can always tell porkys and say you had absolutely loads of stock (keep topping it up).
The only way to effectively beat the tpd is to do what Weed smokers and growers and dealers do and ignore the law.
The more that ignore it the faster the Government will get fed up and change the TPD rules. They can't send everyone to prison, there is no room now, all they can do is fine you and you can make the money back. As someone who doesn't follow the norm or wish to be sheep herded in life by what society wants It's diapointing that people give up without trying to fight against it. But i wish you well in whatever you decide to do

I hate these posts. We've seen too many over the last few months.

I'm hoping for a dramatic change of circumstances. I'm probably being very naive, but while I still can I'm still hoping.

I'm guessing isle of flavours will still be selling the concentrates though, I'm hoping they will anyway [emoji51]

Another one bites the dust - and for what? Because those that are in power feel it's their right to police everything before they have any facts or evidence.

Sadly this won't be the first of a number of places closing due to the implementation, it's not just the cost (which is high) but the endless paperwork and processing needed to comply. Sadly it will be the juice companies with morals (and realisation that this business is now pay to play thanks to TPD) and not just kitchen mixers who feel the need to spam their products out everywhere to make a fast bit of cash but likely will continue to sell after the cutoff date with no intention of becoming compliant.

As one of the companies that has invested lots of time and money it makes me sick to my stomach watching other juice brands go down. as @ZT says, greed and nonsense.

yeah, I kind of knew about this but nothing was official so I didn't say anything as I hate spreading rumours. I can only echo what everyone else is saying and thinking. :(

Back
Top Bottom