What's new

E-cigs not as harmless as claimed

in response to the dr!!! yay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't it amazing how supposedly educated and informed people (the only evidence here is that she hails from the University of Kentucky so one assumes...) glibly make such uninformed and inaccurate statements. If this woman wasn't playing with peoples lives it would be comical. But the network and the presenter are equally responsible for this drivel. Most alarming is the statement that NRT is a better route to stopping smoking, when in fact latest figures show patches and gum have a 95% failure rate, while internet figures suggest electronic cigarettes have an 80% success rate in weening people off tobacco. While it is tempting to cry "conspiracy!" and if you follow the money the idea of conspiracy is not so improbable, I am more inclined to attribute such asinine remarks to the stigma surrounding "smoking", the inability or stubborn refusal of so called professionals to see through the smoke and recognise the important difference between actual smoking and simply vaping. Furthermore, it seems America is less tolerant and more likely to condemn vaping because it perpetuates the nicotine addiction, which it certainly does, and there is a dominant puritanical core who without rhyme nor reason want to condemn addiction for it's own sake. That is to say, their belief system says it's wrong and even morally reprehensible to pursue any activity just for pleasure, and positively sinful to be addicted to anything. If you ask them to define addiction, they can't. If you ask what's wrong with an addiction that doesn't hurt anyone else, they don't have a rational answer, because there isn't one. These battles will have to be fought in the UK too. My observation is that irrational condemnation and resistance to vaping is sadly on the increase. British Rail tell me there are plans to ban vaping. Mcdonalds tell me it is against their policy. When asked why, both have nothing better to offer than "because people might think you're smoking". Well so what? What next? You can't chew gum because people might think you might spit it on the floor. You can't wear red because some people might not like that colour. You can't ride the train because people might think you're a terrorist, a rapist, an axe-murder, an alien etc. Good grief! I ask vapers everywhere not to submit meekly when challenged by officialdom. Ask to see the company policy that prohibits it. Ask what law you are breaking. Give them a few choice facts and statistics and stand your ground. I had it out with 6 armed policeman at Gatwick airport who tried to bully me into stopping. I stuck to my guns (hoping they kept theirs pointed down). They insisted I stop, I insisted they had no right or power to stop me. I quoted the 2006 health act pertaining to smoking and refused. They didn't shoot me. Thankfully I wasn't using a VV device that looked like a stick of dynamite with a digital display on the front and an elaborate cylinder full of almond or marzipan flavour e-liquid bolted to the top - if I had been I concede I probably would have given in, but only because they had guns and twitchy fingers.

Back
Top Bottom