What's new

This horse shit just popped up on my FB feed

Crackmoth

Initiate
So as the title suggests this just popped up on my Facebook news feed with a couple of do-gooders having there two-pence worth. I've read a few studies on the affects of ecigs and most come to the conclusion that they are perfectly fine, and in the controlled doses that we vape at, harmless to us and others around us. This "study" claims it's the lesser of two evils, and suggests that it still contains many carcinogens and is still extremely bad for you. I am under no illusion that it's 'good' for me but is there any truth to this study? Scared me at first, then just angered me!!
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/health-risks-e-cigarettes-emerge

looks like more manufactured spin from the people who want to control it.

I hope that's the case and that's what angered me, plus the do-gooders mouthing off about vapers in the comments. Made me boil

General rule of thumb is if it quotes Stanton Glantz in the piece anywhere it is probably utter dung...

So as the title suggests this just popped up on my Facebook news feed with a couple of do-gooders having there two-pence worth. I've read a few studies on the affects of ecigs and most come to the conclusion that they are perfectly fine, and in the controlled doses that we vape at, harmless to us and others around us. This "study" claims it's the lesser of two evils, and suggests that it still contains many carcinogens and is still extremely bad for you. I am under no illusion that it's 'good' for me but is there any truth to this study? Scared me at first, then just angered me!!
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/health-risks-e-cigarettes-emerge

I have only been vaping 5 weeks, but I like reading scientific papers so I have spent a few evenings absorbed in this, reading not just the news articles, but the actual published papers behind the headlines. I certainly haven't read the full body of available texts, I have barely scratched the surface, but I think I am starting to get to grips with it.

The first thing you need to know is the name Stanton Glantz, he is rabidly anti vaping and in my opinion a bad scientist. If you look at where his departments funding comes from (Tobacco and big Pharma) there may be a clue for his position, but that is no excuse for the way he selectively picks and chooses what pieces of information and which studies he is going to use. On more than one occasion I have read articles coming from his department and then delved deeper and read the papers on which they are based. If a paper is released that says that a given chemical was found in vapour at a concentration of 1x and the same chemical was in car fumes at a concentration of 2x and in tobacco smoke it was present at a concentration of 100x guess which piece of information he would publish and conveniently forget the rest.

For instance the article you found on Facebook mentions formaldehyde here are the results from the scientific report that the article purports to quote as evidence.

Formaldehyde and acetaldehyde were found in 8 of 13 samples. The amounts of formaldehyde and acetaldehyde in vapors from lower voltage EC were on average 13- and 807-fold lower than in tobacco smoke, respectively. The highest levels of carbonyls were observed in vapors generated from PG-based solutions. Increasing voltage from 3.2 to 4.8V resulted in 4 to over 200 times increase in formaldehyde, acetaldehyde, and acetone levels. The levels of formaldehyde in vapors from high-voltage device were in the range of levels reported in tobacco smoke.

So the scientific study found that 5 of the 13 samples contained no formaldehyde and the very highest concentrations were on a par with tobacco smoke (not higher you note). These concentrations were generated using a high PG content and a high voltage. Given that most higher voltage vaping is done with a VG heavy liquid the actual relevance of this needs to be put into the context of real world vaping.

This is an emerging field and the real truth is nobody quite knows how safe vaping is. The general consensus is that it is one hell of a lot safer than smoking tobacco.

Back
Top Bottom