What's new

vaping when pregnant

wullie46

Postman
Hi folks may be a daft question but is it ok to vape when pregnant as I want to stop smoking and would love to start vaping instead.

Hi folks may be a daft question but is it ok to vape when pregnant as I want to stop smoking and would love to start vaping instead.

This is probably something you should talk to your GP about :)

+1 on Talk to a GP, But it's hard to see any reason it would be worse for you / sprogling to be than the fags are...

true cant see how it could be any worse but will check with GP first buy the way this is for my girlfriend not me unless someone has named her wullie lol but cheers folks for the response.

true cant see how it could be any worse but will check with GP first buy the way this is for my girlfriend not me unless someone has named her wullie lol but cheers folks for the response.

Congratulations! Its great that your gf is putting baby and her own health first.

I'm sure that the official stance would be that it's not safe, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it'll be right - vaping is generally seen as smoking in all but name, and I've seen qualified medics on telly suggest that the passive inhalation of vapour is bad, even though there's no scientific evidence of it (and plenty to the contrary).

My gut feeling is that there will be minimal or no risk to vaping while pregnant, but I doubt an ill-informed GP will say that.

Certainly, vaping will be far safer than smoking

fHi wullie46, CONGRATULATIONS!
:D :D :D

It's a tricky one this, so I will add my personal thoughts to the above too

Obviously, the best thing you can do is to give up smoking whilst pregnant. Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge there are no trials out there to say that vaping is safe, or alternatively dangerous whilst pregnant.

The other thing to be aware of is that the NHS does offer NRT to pregnant women, ( note they advise to avoid liquorice based gums/flavours), so nicotine whilst not good for the baby is deemed to be 'safe enough' when pregnant and certainly less harmful than smoking

Unfortunately , without research demonstrating the safety of vaping (or not) when pregnant, -you are reliant on different peoples opinion. I do think this is one of those times when you really do need to sit down and chat with your GP and make an informed decision about the best way forward for you, and then after considering all the options come to your own informed decision.
Below are a couple of links to what NICE guidance and NHS choices say on the matter, of NRT in pregnancy

http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/13023/49346/49346.pdf

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1756.aspx?CategoryID=53&SubCategoryID=534

Take care and I wish you all the best.

thanks so much to all and for the congrats and also for the links from gonloopy all your opinions and thoughts are much appreciated.:thankyou:

Interesting - I didn't know NRT was approved in pregnancy - in that case, it would be hypocritical (and biased) for any GP to advise against ecigs, as nicotine inhalators contain everything that's in an ecig, plus other disturbing ingredients that aren't in ecigs

Back
Top Bottom