What's new

Tubbyengineers Health thread...

I've had a letter from my GP to go for a flu jab but I've never had one before. This is the first time I have been offered it and when I phoned to ask why nobody seemed to know...

Depends middy, ((not trying to be nosey but for info)
the categories have altered this year and for under 65's include

Pregnant
a heart problem
• a chest complaint or breathing difficulties, including bronchitis or emphysema
• a kidney disease
• lowered immunity due to disease or treatment (such
as steroid medication or cancer treatment)
• liver disease
• had a stroke or a transient ischaemic attack (TIA)
• diabetes
• a neurological condition, for example multiple sclerosis (MS) or cerebral palsy
• a problem with your spleen, for example sickle cell disease, or you have had your spleen removed

Oh, I get all the good ones. I had my first, and only, attack last year so they can't actually call it MS until I have a second. It's classed as CIS (Clinically Isolated Syndrome) at this stage. I had an awful time and was severely disabled by it but recovered well and only have one small lesion (area of damage) to my brain. But that's the only thing that's changed in my medical history and if the criteria has changed slightly then that must be it. Now, not sure whether to have the flu jab or not. I have friends with M.E. (not quite the same as MS, I know) but they won't have the jabs.

Sorry TE, hijacking your thread!

Sorry to hear you went through that Middy.
and as I'm sure you probably have been told, that may well have been your one and only experience with it.
I know plenty of people that have been diagnosed and are still up and walking round perfectly well 20 yrs later.
With reference to the flu jab, think its a slightly different scenario to your situation.
my advice to you would be to have it, ( but then I would say that wouldn't I?)
if it does help make your decision any easier , regardless of common perception, it is not a live vaccine and cannot possibly cause flu-like symptoms...

Yep, been told it's possible to only ever have one so I am keeping my fingers tightly crossed there. I was under a tremendous amount of stress at the time with a very messy divorce and I am convinced that triggered it. I have a friend who is a phlebotomist and she advised me to have the flu jab if offered and explained it's not a live vaccine. She said she never feels ill after having hers.

Thanks for your help. I can't remember, you are a nurse, right?
xx

Midnight, Have the jab, It could save you a lot of trouble in the long run, As Gonloopy says it's not a live vaccine and any symptoms I may be experiencing are probably due to either a seperate mild infection, or the Nocebo effect, of which i have prior experience ( as a child I managed to convince myself I was ill, temperature hit 106, within 10 minutes of the phone call saying my parents were coming temp was normal again):grin2:.

Back
Top Bottom