What's new

Regulatory authorities insist on medicinal regulation – What are the implications?

K

KulrMeStoopid

http://www.powersmoke.com/regulator...dicinal-regulation-what-are-the-implications/

September 23, 2013 - Daniel
It is impressive to realize how much effort has been put by the regulatory authorities to implement the medicinal regulation on e-cigarettes. They have ignored several court rulings (USA, Estonia, The Netherlands, Germany and Greece), they have even ignored the Legal Affairs Committee of the European Commission which specifically mentioned that such a ruling would be illegal and against public health interest.

This is a guest post by Dr Konstantinos Farsalinos. He is a Doctor & Researcher at The Onassis Cardiac Surgery Center in Greece.

Visit the link to read the entire post!

We already have all the necessary regulation, as long as they focus on over regulating just cigalikes ;)

As my mate whitney said, we do not need any regulation whatsoever. There is absolutely no reason why the vaping industry, as it has become, cannot become self-regulatory. We are virtually there now and all that's needed are a few tweaks. For a start get rid of those twats MHRA, give ECITA a couple of teeth and possibly install a small officially appointed body to oversee that things are ticketyboo and to offer guidance as and when they feel it's required. The main thing being that those officially appointed persons have a braincell and a reasonable knowledge of things vaping. By all means bring in some controls on minors purchasing cig-a-likes for what good it will do. I just hope it's better than the controls they brought in to prevent Suzy in the Third Year getting put up the duff. To me, a far worse proposition than puffing on an ecig.

I also feel that the main half a dozen or so vaping fora in the UK could get the ball rolling now by a) appointing a rep to meet/engage with other fora reps to discuss ways to exert influence over dealers/vendors not toeing the line regarding proper labelling, ensuring bona-fide certificated QC checks, say on a 6 month basis, are made on their liquids for instance and b), making their websites absolutely transparent for even the newest of vapers.

Forum owners could ask their members to keep an eye out for non-conforming vendors, irrespective of whether they sell cheap accessories or mods or 'lovely' liquid and report them to the individual forum rep by pm, for him/her to confirm and if necessary have a word with said vendor and if required, inform them they will be placed on a 'naughty list' of all the major UK vaping fora if they fail to conform within said time frame.

I should think that the vendors who already conform to said non-code of practice as it were, would hail something like this as they have absorbed the costs to conform, therefore every other vendor should.

I see no reason why this couldn't be made to work and relatively soon too. If the government can be made to accept that our industry/way of life falls well within the bounds of being self-regulatory, I can see them eventually agreeing to such.

At present it's just a small minority fighting everyone's cause. It's about time the fora populace stood up and did a little bit for themselves. Yes, by nature the Brit is an apathetic, almost insular creature believing someone else will always be there sort out any problems for them. Not necessarily this time. Self help is required now.

I also feel that the main half a dozen or so vaping fora in the UK could get the ball rolling now by a) appointing a rep to meet/engage with other fora reps to discuss ways to exert influence over dealers/vendors not toeing the line regarding proper labelling, ensuring bona-fide certificated QC checks, say on a 6 month basis, are made on their liquids for instance and b), making their websites absolutely transparent for even the newest of vapers.

I devised a plan for ECCA called the Consumer Awareness Standards. I have no clue if they are going to move forward with it or not. I would hope that they do as it basically outlines all of the stuff vendors need to do legally for consumers and basic standardization across the board. However, involving all of the different forums wouldn't work. You have this one, which is a registered LTD. We could end up stigmatized as being "vendor influenced" due to the Marketplace and Advertising, which keeps this place running and expanding, (and this has all ready been done) As for the other forums, not a clue. Reps have been done with ECCA and it lasts until the fire dies out so to speak.
Also, it takes time, time costs money, and it tends to be money that people don't want to throw away. Vapers are impatient :P and want to see their money put to work last week, not 3 months from now.

Forum owners could ask their members to keep an eye out for non-conforming vendors, irrespective of whether they sell cheap accessories or mods or 'lovely' liquid and report them to the individual forum rep by pm, for him/her to confirm and if necessary have a word with said vendor and if required, inform them they will be placed on a 'naughty list' of all the major UK vaping fora if they fail to conform within said time frame.
I'll be dead honest on this one. I have enough of a hard time answering support tickets, social networking, setting up accounts, moving threads and everything else. I personally wouldn't have the time or energy to organise something like this (someone else on the team might, but I don't) It also falls back onto the stigma bullshit. And then you have the TW's of the world that would be more than happy to send a cease and desist letter to us Forum folks and threaten legal action over a member saying something about their product or brand, that they dont like. :( Legal funds would have to be set up in the thousands if not hundreds of thousands to fight against an angry backlash like this.

I should think that the vendors who already conform to said non-code of practice as it were, would hail something like this as they have absorbed the costs to conform, therefore every other vendor should.
I have been saying for ages the vendors need a small "standardization" organisation, smaller than ECITA, which all vendors could be a part of, but which also does not go to the extent of what ECITA can and does do. But it would be nice to see all of the vendors working together and having their own rep that spots and recruits new companies into their folds to teach them the ropes about what it to be expected of them.

I see no reason why this couldn't be made to work and relatively soon too. If the government can be made to accept that our industry/way of life falls well within the bounds of being self-regulatory, I can see them eventually agreeing to such.
See my time and money comment. :(

At present it's just a small minority fighting everyone's cause. It's about time the fora populace stood up and did a little bit for themselves. Yes, by nature the Brit is an apathetic, almost insular creature believing someone else will always be there sort out any problems for them. Not necessarily this time. Self help is required now.

I have said this before too...the problem is there are so many "activists" and "advocacy" sectors now, that trying to meld them into one united front...is time consuming and every one thinks they can do it better than someone else. Vapers are stubborn folk!

I devised a plan for ECCA called the Consumer Awareness Standards. I have no clue if they are going to move forward with it or not. I would hope that they do as it basically outlines all of the stuff vendors need to do legally for consumers and basic standardization across the board. However, involving all of the different forums wouldn't work. You have this one, which is a registered LTD. We could end up stigmatized as being "vendor influenced" due to the Marketplace and Advertising, which keeps this place running and expanding, (and this has all ready been done) As for the other forums, not a clue. Reps have been done with ECCA and it lasts until the fire dies out so to speak.
Also, it takes time, time costs money, and it tends to be money that people don't want to throw away. Vapers are impatient :P and want to see their money put to work last week, not 3 months from now.

Okay, how about an email to offending vendors pointing out contravention of ECITA guidelines and the current issues. It could virtually be a standard mail with maybe a list of say 1-5 itemising the contraventions noted and asking for them to be rectified, in all our interests. Surely, there's no cost to that?

I'll be dead honest on this one. I have enough of a hard time answering support tickets, social networking, setting up accounts, moving threads and everything else. I personally wouldn't have the time or energy to organise something like this (someone else on the team might, but I don't) It also falls back onto the stigma bullshit. And then you have the TW's of the world that would be more than happy to send a cease and desist letter to us Forum folks and threaten legal action over a member saying something about their product or brand, that they dont like. :( Legal funds would have to be set up in the thousands if not hundreds of thousands to fight against an angry backlash like this.

As above basically, though to be honest I didn't even consider someone like Satan as they are at the legal forefront of things. I had in mind the vendor who thinks he can do things on a shoestring budget and cut corners to aid profit. You can delegate can you not, or 'ask' for volunteers. If not, there is the wider membership.

I have been saying for ages the vendors need a small "standardization" organisation, smaller than ECITA, which all vendors could be a part of, but which also does not go to the extent of what ECITA can and does do. But it would be nice to see all of the vendors working together and having their own rep that spots and recruits new companies into their folds to teach them the ropes about what it to be expected of them.

See my Brit apathy comment. It may well be a case of "I'm happy my house is in order and will survive any 'light regulation'. "The fly-by-nights will go under, therefore more customers for me" I don't know.

See my time and money comment. :(

I have said this before too...the problem is there are so many "activists" and "advocacy" sectors now, that trying to meld them into one united front...is time consuming and every one thinks they can do it better than someone else. Vapers are stubborn folk!

Was just thinking as foot soldiers we ought to be doing something, however small.

I'll get that tongue of yours one day!

Attachments

• Flyswat gif.gif
    Flyswat gif.gif
    13.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
ECITA has a £600 monthly membership fee for a reason...Ive never seen a copy of their ISE either only paying members know whats in it, as far as I know.

When we first started the forum, I was more than happy to point new vendors to a list of laws and regulations all ready in place...a few sites took my advice (one even flipped their entire website to remove all quit kit references) http://wiki.planetofthevapes.co.uk/wiki/Regulations_and_Laws_for_UK_Vendors This is a small compilation of the stuff all ready in place. But is far from complete.

Basically what it will come down to is this...consumers have to be vigilant...report vendors to ECCA who can advise the vendor (after all that is what ECCA is there for, to help protect us consumers) It saddens me that not more people are actively involved in ECCA, especially since the new committee came on board, they are very keen to get things done, but they have no help from outside their small circle and little funding. That's the vapers faults, not theirs!

Back
Top Bottom