What's new

Insurance policy

johnmandy

Postman
Just a thought, been thinking about my future...54 now and 1 cracking grandchild, a little boy I want to play football with and take up my seasonal caravan as often as possible.
So step 1 was to take a look at my lifestyle, I walk mountains quite regularly and try to keep a degree of fitness, but I used to smoke up to 20 a day, (nearly 40 years)..... I can now boast with the help from this forum I am on about week 10 without the stinkies and never think about cigs.
Now my question, sorry about the long lead up, but while thinking about my lifestyle, the question of life insurance cropped up, sensible I think.
The one question your guaranteed to be asked on all health policy's is... Do you smoke. Well at this time in point I don't, if the policy doesn't ask the question have you smoked within the last 5 or 10 years, am I being deceitful and dishonest with my answer.
Sorry if this question has been asked before.

Sent from my XT1032 using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

Some will put vaping in the same category. However i would say unless they specifically state ecigarettes or nrt products in that phrase i would say you do not fit in. IT would be a phrase used any kind of nicotine product such as pipes, ecigarettes and nicotine replacement products in the last x years. If it just state smoke and nothing else i would say no to that question.

Being qualified in this area I can say that there is an insurance law called 'utmost good faith' which essentially means that you have to tell the 'whole' truth even if you don't think it's relevant so yes, you should inform them.

That said, most underwriters class vaping slightly less than cigarettes so if the premium is 'loaded' (increased), then it won't be increased by as much as a smoker.

The problem you have if you don't tell them is that they are allowed to take a sample from a dead body (unbelievable but true) which can hold 'nicotine' in it so it's best to tell them and let the underwriters decide.

Better to pay a higher premium and know you're OK than to not tell them and have the claim negated.

That said, it's highly unlikely for samples to be taken for any less than around £100,000 worth of life cover due to the costs.

P.S. there is a 'lot' more to this than the above but that is a short summary.

All the best and good on ya for thinking of the little one.

SB.

Just a thought, been thinking about my future...54 now and 1 cracking grandchild, a little boy I want to play football with and take up my seasonal caravan as often as possible.
So step 1 was to take a look at my lifestyle, I walk mountains quite regularly and try to keep a degree of fitness, but I used to smoke up to 20 a day, (nearly 40 years)..... I can now boast with the help from this forum I am on about week 10 without the stinkies and never think about cigs.
Now my question, sorry about the long lead up, but while thinking about my lifestyle, the question of life insurance cropped up, sensible I think.
The one question your guaranteed to be asked on all health policy's is... Do you smoke. Well at this time in point I don't, if the policy doesn't ask the question have you smoked within the last 5 or 10 years, am I being deceitful and dishonest with my answer.
Sorry if this question has been asked before.

johnmandy I have just done exactly the same thing, and have taken out life insurance. A bit older than you and been smoking since I was, well early teens stopped about 6/7 months now, and have been vaping for that length of time. However the question did come up and told them the truth. As far as they are concerned because I smoked within I think it was a year, they classed me as a smoker. I considered telling them I was not a smoker but they then had a full report from the Dr, who confirmed I had stopped smoking but the insurance Co. Are still classing me as a smoker.
In a way I am glad I told the truth, as I would hate, should I unexpectedly end up at the 'pearly gates' for my wife and 2 boys to be told well he smoked he had told us he didn't so you are getting Nada, nowt. Hope this helps. Have to think about who's left.

This is a tough one. Yes be honest but sadly most insurers, in the event of a claim, will use the 'cotinine' test...a substance produced by the body's metabolic processes and which can be detected for about 4 days after a smokers death. This is still a new area and without, as far as I know, a precedent for a vaper. Honesty would seem therefore even more appropriate because it would explain a positive cotinine test.

thanks all, my intention was to be as honest as I could with the policy...I won't get to argue the toss if a claim is made and is contested, especially now a lot of insurance companies seem hell bent on finding ways in not paying if a claim is actioned.
I thought this thread may be of some use to others in the same position.

you should telephone the company and ask for a clear answer on their policy some say you have to be smoke free for a year before you can be classed as a non smoker others say that vaping counts as smoking

When I went to the doctors and told him I had given up smoking, but started vaping he said he would put it on my record that I had stopped smoking from that date, so regardless of what you decide to do re the insurance, make sure you tell your doc and it goes on your health records.

When I went to the doctors and told him I had given up smoking, but started vaping he said he would put it on my record that I had stopped smoking from that date, so regardless of what you decide to do re the insurance, make sure you tell your doc and it goes on your health records.
Second that. My GP said 'well done you' when i told him. What that counts for is debateable ...but its on the record..I'm not a smoker

Yes it's a difficult one
Previously, if you hadn't smoked for 12 months you were classed as a non smoker.

The way this is recorded is that every condition has what is called a READ code. So from a an ingrowing toenail to being a smoker, everything about your health can be coded electronically and searched for systematically.you
I've just heard in the last few weeks that a READ code has been developed for vaping. ( I don't think it's being commonly used as yet) but this suggests to me that vaping should be declared, -as that bit about our lifestyle will show up very clearly. Whether they raise premiums or not remains to be seen, but personally I wouldn't give em any excuse not to payout. :(

Back
Top Bottom