What's new

France to ban Ecigs

helenahandbasket

Initiate
France to ban electronic cigarettes from all public places and subject them to the same tight rules as tobacco

That's a headline in todays papers.
Apparently the French are going to subject vaping to the same rules a cigs.
Whatever next?
icon8.png

All governments care more about lost revenue than they do about the health of their citizens.

Big Pharma set to loose 100's of billions in lost sales, NRT and drugs that they now sell to "help" ill smokers, all leads to loss of profits and ultimately loss of taxes to government.

They just DO NOT care and will do anything and everything to ban or restrict E-cigs.

All governments care more about lost revenue than they do about the health of their citizens.

Big Pharma set to loose 100's of billions in lost sales, NRT and drugs that they now sell to "help" ill smokers, all leads to loss of profits and ultimately loss of taxes to government.

They just DO NOT care and will do anything and everything to ban or restrict E-cigs.

Spot on.

Shortly before the published 'excuse' France announced that it was delaying increasing duty on cigarettes again for 3 months due to the drop in number of cigarettes smoked.
Governments are the main shareholders in tobacco companies in that they get most of the profit (about 90%).
Therefore there is a conflict of interest between governments and ending smoking. Since the 'sin tax' was introduced they have relied more and more on income from tobacco sales and so will fight anything that will reduce that tax.
France treating ecigs the same as tobacco cigs means, I assume, that they can put the same tax on them. So the government won't lose on income, and it doesn't care if an ecig tax causes people to return to smoking, the main interest is in the income stream, not health.

It is truly amazing how many enemies harm reduction has.

In fact if the stated WHO ambition of making tobacco history were ever acheived I could easily imagine most countries trying to persuade people to smoke.
After all, those who claim that it is safer to continue smoking than vape are doing just that.

I may get a bit of flack here but I agree with banning ecigs in certain enclosed public places. I was sat in a swanky restaurant last night and just as I was about to tuck into my dinner a couple on the table next to me got out there Vamo's and within a couple of minutes I had what smelt like a heavy banana mix wafting in my face. Now don't get me wrong, I love vaping and I love banana flavoured juices - I just didn't want the selfish arseholes blowing it in my face when I was trying to eat my crayfish tails.

Surely that's simply a matter for the establishment? Why waste time producing legislation to criminalise a very harmless activity? A simple word with them or a waiter would have solved your problem...but you want a solution which would see them being dragged off by the police to spend time in a magistrate's court? Madness.

I may get a bit of flack here but I agree with banning ecigs in certain enclosed public places. I was sat in a swanky restaurant last night and just as I was about to tuck into my dinner a couple on the table next to me got out there Vamo's and within a couple of minutes I had what smelt like a heavy banana mix wafting in my face. Now don't get me wrong, I love vaping and I love banana flavoured juices - I just didn't want the selfish arseholes blowing it in my face when I was trying to eat my crayfish tails.

I kinda agree with your sentiments ... but think Mawsley has it right .. Its got to be down to the individual establishment to say wether or not they allow vaping ... I personally have no problem with places that dont allow it ... its fair enough .. Ill go outside or go somwhere else.

I think vaping in a restaurant is possibly rude unless its a "vaping" establishment ... but I like my food peaceful :) (they should ban babies and screaming kids from some of the better restaurants as well ... ( Im such a nazi :) )

Pubs .. I think pubs that disallow it are probably just stupid .. and cant see they are alienating a growing clientele.

that said ... I guess some higher end bars who's income relies on them "keeping up appearances" and aiming at a rich clientele probably have cause for not allowing it .. or providing special areas.

I have no issue naffing off to the khazi for a vape in a restaurant ...

We have vaped in a restaurant, but we asked the management and the other customers first.

Obviously they were fine with it.

Back
Top Bottom