• Yes I have but only some have replied

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Both tobacco and pharma industries.
I hope that people here have balls.

I'll fight for my juicy fruit flavour nicotine fix. Seriously haha

If noone goes back to cigs, then we all raided the houses of parliament and just sat outside. They'd have hundreds of pissed off people with nicotine WD's as they went to work haha. Protest!

I Wrote to local mp's this is the response i got.

As you will have noticed from the date on the front page of the
Commission's proposal, this is a brand new prposal for EU legislation.
As such it next has to go through a committee of the European Parliament
for our First Reading and very probably amendment.
I would strongly recommend that whoever is responsible for speaking on
behalf of your interests - for example a trade association - gets over
to Brussels and talks in detail to members of the relevant committee and
answers their individual questions. Sending emails will not be enough.
In the European Parliament, every MEP is free to make up his or her mind
how to vote and we have no whips like at Westminster who force MPs how
to vote. So, your spokesman needs to talk with us, one to one,
individually.
All good wishes
Bill Newton Dunn, Lib Dem MEP
www.newton-dunn.com

Are ECITA responsible for going over and speaking on our behalf?

I Wrote to local mp's this is the response i got.

As you will have noticed from the date on the front page of the
Commission's proposal, this is a brand new prposal for EU legislation.
As such it next has to go through a committee of the European Parliament
for our First Reading and very probably amendment.
I would strongly recommend that whoever is responsible for speaking on
behalf of your interests - for example a trade association - gets over
to Brussels and talks in detail to members of the relevant committee and
answers their individual questions. Sending emails will not be enough.
In the European Parliament, every MEP is free to make up his or her mind
how to vote and we have no whips like at Westminster who force MPs how
to vote. So, your spokesman needs to talk with us, one to one,
individually.
All good wishes
Bill Newton Dunn, Lib Dem MEP
www.newton-dunn.com

Are ECITA responsible for going over and speaking on our behalf?

It would look that way? Doodlebug

Do we know what ECITA are planning to do? Sorry if this has been mentioned haven't had time to go over the whole thread.

I have just received this reply from one of my MEPs. If anybody can give links to studies as well as all UK law and regulation of ecigs I would appreciate it as she seems to be asking me to do her research for her. The only good thing I can say is that she replied!

Thank you for contacting me regarding the revision of the Tobacco Products Directive.

You are correct in thinking that as this Directive was adopted ten years ago, proposals to amend it have now been put forward with a view to being adopted by the European Parliament and the Council in 2014 and coming into effect between 2015 and 2016.

Whist the overall objective of the revision is to improve the functioning of the internal market, it is expected that citizens in all Member States will benefit from improved public health.

The revision addresses the following main issues:

• how to regulate products which do not contain tobacco, but which are closely linked to smoking or tobacco consumption, for example electronic- and herbal cigarettes,
  • labelling and packaging of tobacco products
  • additives, such as flavourings, used in tobacco products,
  • internet sales of tobacco products and
  • tracking and tracing of these products.

I understand that as a previous heavy smoker you are concerned by the idea that electronic cigarettes could be banned by this Directive. However, electronic cigarettes containing nicotine over a certain threshold will be allowed if they have been authorised as pharmaceuticals. It is only cigarettes, roll-your-own and smokeless tobacco products that have a characterising flavour, such as menthol cigarettes and smokeless tobacco with a liquorice taste that will be prohibited.

As electronic cigarettes are still a relatively new invention, I believe that much more research needs to be done before a final Directive can be agreed on. Evidence on the safety of e-cigarettes is limited and there is no evidence regarding the health effects of long term use. Although it is unlikely that long term use of e-cigarettes is as harmful as smoking, inconsistencies in product contents and labelling need to be addressed.

In addition, a study on the acute pulmonary effects of using an e-cigarette found that there are immediate adverse physiological effects after short term use that are similar to some of the effects seen with tobacco smoking. Further, the World Health Organisation (WHO) reported that there is concern that nicotine delivery to the lung might result in stronger toxicological, physiological and addictive effects.

However, I do believe that this evidence must be balanced against the numerous studies where smokers, including yourself, have been able to quit conventional cigarettes after taking up an e-cigarette.

I believe it is necessary for the out-of-date Tobacco Products Directive to be updated, but the manner in which this is done needs to take account of current scientific evidence to ensure that the health of the public in general is a main concern. More research needs to be done as to the health effects of e-cigarettes and the Directive adjusted accordingly.

I hope this information is helpful to you. I will continue to monitor the situation closely and remain up-to-date with any developments in this field. When I have the opportunity to vote on this matter in the European Parliament you have my assurance that I will do so. In the meantime if you feel there is any further way I can be of assistance, or if you have studies in this area that you would like to draw my attention to, then please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Last edited:
The thig I don't understand is the face that they are putting a threshold on the amount of nicotine in a liquid! The ingredients are the same. So why the need to put a limit on the amount of nicotine?

Back
Top Bottom