What's new

Why I went back to smoking

5.5second draw is a long time on what are...mtl tanks.
Would even a 50/50 juice soak into the cotton efficiently enough to sustain that?
But then again at 9w?

I had dry burns on 70/30 in the 0.7 coil, 50/50 works good but i have 1-2second draws anyway at 18w.

Could be not prepping the coils first, start off half the recommended wattage then build up the watts, so the coil 'breaks' in.
Had a burnt taste from new 0.5coil when forgotten to start low, bad taste wore off though.

Youve changed tanks, coils, eliquids...still burning...
the mod is the only thing you havnt changed...
Could the mod be fucked? False output reading?
eleaf have quite a good rep, never heard anything bad from them...doesnt make it impossible though.

Like others have said, you just can't use high VG juices on stock mtl coils. The cotton won't soak it up.

not sure water would be the best thing but im no expert on that so best wait for others to explain.
if someone comes up of what to do and as you cant open the bottle how about squeezing it into another empty bottle. whatever you add it will slightly weeken the flavor taste.

no idea on the tfv8 as i tried it and sold it the next day, just wasnt for me as too airy.
i think those ccoils will handle 80/20 but not sure about 90/10 as the vg will just be too thick to soak up in the cotton.
Spot on as ever mrdj. That juice is never going to go anywhere in any stock coil. It's only going to be vapeable in a rda or big rta.
You will need to water or pg that down ridiculously. I'd stick.the juice away for when you get into rebuilding and pick up some 50/50 for.the mini triton and some 70/30 max for the others. The smok coils seem big but they are just full of small coils. There a few less viscous high vg liquids it will take but generally stick to the rule of 70/30 for stock sub ohm coils and 50/50 on small mtl coils to ensure the best vape and longer coil life.

Last edited:
If your a student on a budget then studying and learning patience on building and wicking would be the thing that saves you the most money . I have had the same home made NiCr coils in my daily tank now for 3 months , clean and rewick once a week if they need it or not . Actual time spent changing coils about 6 mins 3 months ago , time spent rewicking and cleaning ..About 5 mins once a week . Money spent on coils and cotton over 3 months on the tank ..probably less than £1

I couldn't agree more. I fitted the 0.4 ohm Clapton in this RDTA at the end of May. I clean it and re-wick it weekly and I am using cotton from Boots. I doubt I have spent 50p yet. Before that I was using Smok tanks and coils. I thought they were brilliant but have since learned they suck and blow, at the same time. Not only do pre-built coils have no flavour at all, they are bloody expensive and burn out for a laugh.

I couldn't agree more. I fitted the 0.4 ohm Clapton in this RDTA at the end of May. I clean it and re-wick it weekly and I am using cotton from Boots. I doubt I have spent 50p yet. Before that I was using Smok tanks and coils. I thought they were brilliant but have since learned they suck and blow, at the same time. Not only do pre-built coils have no flavour at all, they are bloody expensive and burn out for a laugh.
Speedwell, I've only ever made my own coils, are you saying pre made coils can be duff, how can this be, they are only metal, I'm ignorant, please explain.

Speedwell, I've only ever made my own coils, are you saying pre made coils can be duff, how can this be, they are only metal, I'm ignorant, please explain.
Pre made coils are made in the millions. Qc isn't perfect and different manufacturers have better records than others. I've had some smok coils have 3 duff coils in a pack of five. The cotton can be packed too tightly to wick or not enough cotton to wick sufficiently. Sometimes the coil wire can break and the coil is useless before use. So many variables.
Early crown coils where poor but have improved. Atlantis style or kanger ssocc coils have improved greatly and it's not often mrs kid finds a duff one.
Most pre made coils have restricted wicking due to the space available in a replaceable coil which limits the thickness of the juice the coil will wick.
Often the more simple coils in big tanks like the beast or baby beast allow for better wicking as not too much wattage is required and the large coil size mixed with a simple coil allows more space for cotton and wicking room.
Crown coils have improved and the 0.5 or 0.25 coils are very large with plenty of wicking material and a simple coil design.
But I am yet to find a stock coil that can reliably wick 80%vg and last.

I think the amount of cotton in factory coils is a problem as well and contributes to them burning out if they fail to wick properly.

eyeball kid, it just reminds me so much of when i first started and used to use ego cartomisers, some would last for a couple of weeks and some would not even get started, cheers for info.

I have never had a factory coil that hasn't worked as they intended. What I am saying is that they are crap by design. Smok produce clouds, but the flavour is weak and they only last 3 weeks at best. A Clapton will produce great clouds, have great flavour and last for months. The one I am using at the moment has been used all day, every day for 5 months. It cost pence to make and has used less than £1's worth of cotton in that time.

Premade claptons and the like are fine.

Okay ladies and gents, I would like to firstly thank all of you for contributing in helping me. Don't let that go unnoticed.

To put things in clear context, I vape(d) to significantly reduce the amount of cigarettes I smoke. I think it's fair to say I'm atleast a pack a day smoker which can be pushed to 2 packs IF I'm going out for the night or am really stressed. What I seek from vaping is for to emulate a cigarette as accurate as possible, flavour is also a nice touch as is the actual vapour production. Reading everyone's help/advice/guidance/comments I have concluded to the following setup.

I will purchase the 0.7 Nautilus coils again but this time with 6MG nic and a 50/50 mix. I believe the .7's are the perfect for me as I get flavour and reasonable amount of vapour not to mention the tightish DTL draw (well, that's how I see it)

Can someone point me in the right direction to find 50/50 juices with 3/6mg?

In terms of preparing the coil, I usually put couple drops in each hole and a couple drops in the main chamber. I then fill the tank up and with the airflow wide open I take a few puffs with no power so I can see bubbles. I let the juice settle in for 2-5 minutes then I start vaping it at around 8w.
I'm doing it right so far right?

As someone mentioned, the fault may lead to the mod itself. I don't have funds to also purchase a new mod so I have to sadly stick with my Pico. However, if the problem does persist I'll check the freebies or sale section and buy another mod once I save enough money.

Back
Top Bottom