What's new

Why do some mods make ticking/buzzing noises???

220TC

Postman
Hi,

Why do some mods make faint noises?

I have an istick 100w that makes a faint buzzing noise at low watts which stops as you raise the watts and I have a modefined prism 250w that starts making a faint ticking noise once the fire button is pressed? I have been assured by the retailer this is normal on some mods but they couldn't tell me why? Anyone know?

On the other hand my pico and yosta livepor are silent!

Cheers,

Dunc

It would probably be using a PWM (pulse width modulation) board which basically switches on and off many times a second to control the wattage and can give a buzzing sound at certain frequencies.

As above some mods use a form of pwm to regulate power (mostly older high power mods) but I have also heard of inductors giving a slight whine (only heard of this in PC graphics cards though)

Overall there are many electrical components that can make a buzz/whine noise when stepping down power ( try listen to an old phone charger) but it's usually very high frequency, so almost inaudible to adults ( your hearing range drops with age, mainly high pitch)

My Evic VT ticks constantly when switched on. I read somewhere many moons ago that it was caused by the mod constantly checking the coil's resistance.

Yeah pwm is probably the cause.... not all board regulated the power this way but I had a mod that had an original omni board in and that made a noise as did my old KangerTech sub box... I think most chips regulate the power diffently now... not sure how but this vs like DNA 250 and the gene chip don't make a noise (well mine don't anyway) they also have less ramp up time.

Back
Top Bottom