What's new

USB's getting hot.

3dj

Legend
I only noticed this last night. I use one of those plug sockets that have USB outputs in my man room to charge my dna's up. I was charging 2 last night and unplugged one of the leads to find it pretty warm, but not mad hot. I checked the other one and that was quite warm. I know it is not my leads (both came with dna's) I don't think this is normal. Might be one for electrical minded folk like myself. I reckon they are drawing too much current, hence the heat. Never noticed this before. I do not think it is the plug socket USB's cos they still charge the mods. Thoughts please.

Watching this 3dj
I have one of those 13amp plug in type double USB lead sockets and charging 2 pod type devices it gets pretty warm after a while.
I've just bought a cordless strimmer and the charger plug gets warm also, but the instructions do say heat is generated when charging and no cause for alarm.

Quite normal to create heat as it’s transforming 240v down to 5v.
Just like a normal phone charger etc gets warm when in use.

Watching this 3dj
I have one of those 13amp plug in type double USB lead sockets and charging 2 pod type devices it gets pretty warm after a while.
I've just bought a cordless strimmer and the charger plug gets warm also, but the instructions do say heat is generated when charging and no cause for alarm.
At the moment I have one of my phones and a dna mod plugged into said plug socket. The phone cable is cold. The mod cable is warm.

@3dj 13A to USB is a small transformer (in most cases when there life is coming to a end they tend to get hotter then they use to as the output becomes unstable and you may find the lead will heat up as well) ... buy some new there not expensive :)

At the moment I have one of my phones and a dna mod plugged into said plug socket. The phone cable is cold. The mod cable is warm.
The DNA could be pulling 2A as opposed to 0.5A on the phone. There would be more heat generated.

The DNA could be pulling 2A as opposed to 0.5A on the phone. There would be more heat generated.
That’s what it is and is normal..the sockets and USB ports should have(I hope) the safety stuff built in so nothing to worry about the port will only feed up to the safe limit that it’s regulated too..
DNA mods will be pulling the max out of them.
Do a test using a independent charger like from a iPad Pro or something..I think mine puts out 18v quick charge and gets warm after a hour or so..I have the same sort of thing but it’s definitely safety protection protocoled.
215A220B-18FD-479C-84A0-7CA84495CFB6.jpeg

Last edited:
Used to leave stuff plugged in and unattended all the time. Not any more. If I hadn't been in the room when my 4 bay hub failed (as mentioned above by @mattyk2010) it would have done serious damage to one room at least and had I been out I may possibly have kissed my house goodbye.

Back
Top Bottom