What's new

Stock Coil / Pod recommendation

@Simebaby have you tried TC?, will certainly stop wick burning.
I did, and it didn't go well :D
I was using 30AWG SS 316, which was an absolute pain to work with, and it was very inconsistent, but needed that to get near to 1ohm. Would work fine then suddenly start throttling, which I get it's designed to do but the temp of what I was vaping didn't seem like it could be anywhere near the limit I'd set (took it up to 300C if I remember rightly).

Looking at Steam-Engine, I could try 28AWG - 7 wraps at 3mm ID should come out at 0.8Ohm, so might have another crack at it.

Using a DNA200c, one thing I did notice is that the ambient temp just always read around 34C, which is clearly well out, and I don't think there's any way to calibrate it - not that I know if that would make a difference or not though.

Well I only use TC for MTL, I generally use 28awg as it's easier to work with. The wick will be looser than you use for Wattage, so will be easier to rewick. Don't even think about ohms for the coil, just aim for six or seven wraps and try that. If it's SS wire, as long as its between 0.5 and up it'll work fine. TC works on the length of wire and it's resistance varying as it heats up. Dunno about C as I always use F but a preheat around 25W and a temp of 390F works for me.

Oh, the coil needs to be spaced too.

TC aside (which some find awesome, I dabbled and never clicked with it) - unless you're sucking like you really mean it then I'd say 15w is too much power for that build.

The coil needs airflow to cool it, otherwise you'll get a wet burnt wick... The juice does do some cooling too, but it's very easy to outrun it.

Also (possibly silly) things like making sure you don't hold the fire button after you finish puffing. No air, no cooling, burnt.

If the wick is staying wet then it's unlikely to be drying too much - but it still might help to source some 100% pg nic shots to thin it slightly more

Here's a Vaporesso Target mini 2 I use for out and about, very small and discreet for when you don't want to lug around a big setup.

IMG_2746.jpeg

Well I only use TC for MTL, I generally use 28awg as it's easier to work with. The wick will be looser than you use for Wattage, so will be easier to rewick. Don't even think about ohms for the coil, just aim for six or seven wraps and try that. If it's SS wire, as long as its between 0.5 and up it'll work fine. TC works on the length of wire and it's resistance varying as it heats up. Dunno about C as I always use F but a preheat around 25W and a temp of 390F works for me.

Oh, the coil needs to be spaced too.

OK. Got a 7-wrap 3id SS316L coil on there, coming out at 0.9ohms. Got the temp set to 200C (392F), power at 15W.
According to the mod (a DNA200c), the temp never gets above 136C (277F). Does that seem low / odd? It doesn’t feel particularly cool.

I’m sure this is what happened before as well, and I just couldn’t figure it out. I get confused as to why there’s a wattage and temp setting on there. Surely you just set the temp, and the mod will fire at the right power to reach that temp? Or have I got it completely wrong? (that would come as no surprise!)

OK. Got a 7-wrap 3id SS316L coil on there, coming out at 0.9ohms. Got the temp set to 200C (392F), power at 15W.
According to the mod (a DNA200c), the temp never gets above 136C (277F). Does that seem low / odd? It doesn’t feel particularly cool.

I’m sure this is what happened before as well, and I just couldn’t figure it out. I get confused as to why there’s a wattage and temp setting on there. Surely you just set the temp, and the mod will fire at the right power to reach that temp? Or have I got it completely wrong? (that would come as no surprise!)

You need to turn the wattage up.... if the temp isn't reaching the temp you have it set to, then you aren't really vaping in temp control, you are just vaping at 15w. :D

TC isn't really 'temperature control' .... think of it as temperature limiting.

(edit and turn the temp down too after that)

@JohnR is more the expert on this subject, but I've found that increasing the wattage would help here - the TC doesn't kick in until the wire has reached the temperature you've set - in your case the power probably isn't enough because you are constantly adding a cooling element every time you inhale and pull cold air through the tank. I'd bump up the wattage to about 20W and let the TC worry about when it decides to reduce the power.

Last edited:

Hook it up to the device monitor and watch what happens when you fire the mod.

Couple of things . Make sure you get a good cold ohm read. If the coil wasn’t cold then you will not get accurate temp readings. Secondly, and you’ll see this when it is hooked up to device monitor. The watts are what heats the coil up. The temp is the max temp it will go to before the mod throttles back the wattage. Set it to 5 watts and it won’t go anywhere (quick).

Again, get a good cold ohm reading. First thing in the morning works best for me :)

The wattage is like preheat, in TC it should be temperature dominant.

Back
Top Bottom