What's new

PG-free vaping

icepie

Postman
I've been getting a few sore throats lately and I'm trying to narrow down the cause. If it is vape related then it may be due to one ingredient (I mix my own, mostly). I thought I'd start simple and eliminate an ingredient that is common to all my juices so I'm going to go PG-free for a while and see if it helps but I have a couple of queries:

I can't use very high VG except on my drippers and I don't want to use those all the time, so If I use distilled water as a dilutant, should I use the same proportions of VG that I'm already using?

Also, is water the only alternative?

Thanks.

I've been getting a few sore throats lately and I'm trying to narrow down the cause. If it is vape related then it may be due to one ingredient (I mix my own, mostly). I thought I'd start simple and eliminate an ingredient that is common to all my juices so I'm going to go PG-free for a while and see if it helps but I have a couple of queries:

I can't use very high VG except on my drippers and I don't want to use those all the time, so If I use distilled water as a dilutant, should I use the same proportions of VG that I'm already using?

Also, is water the only alternative?

Thanks.

Funnily enough I have just been doing some calculations for someone who is intolerant to PG, but their atty wont handle pure VG.

Couple of questions.

Whats your normal VG/PG ratio ?
Whats your nicotine mg ?

You can use Vodka instead of distilled water, but it can increase the throat hit a bit.

Funnily enough I have just been doing some calculations for someone who is intolerant to PG, but their atty wont handle pure VG.

Couple of questions.

Whats your normal VG/PG ratio ?
Whats your nicotine mg ?

You can use Vodka instead of distilled water, but it can increase the throat hit a bit.
I use around 70% VG for sub-Ohm and 50/50 for MTL. My nic strength is 2 or 3

All my flavour concentrates are PG based and comprise anything up to 15% of the juice, so I guess I'll have to replace those.
My nicotine is also PG based but since it's 72mg I'm diluting it at least 23 to 1 so I might not switch until I run out - I have nearly 200ml left... enough for at least a gallon of juice!

(I have vaped alcohol but I wouldn't recommend it: It takes a long time to purge from your system because it isn't metabolised the way it is when you drink it. If you get drunk on vapour you'll stay drunk for longer than you would believe possible!)

(I have vaped alcohol but I wouldn't recommend it: It takes a long time to purge from your system because it isn't metabolised the way it is when you drink it. If you get drunk on vapour you'll stay drunk for longer than you would believe possible!)
If you can get drunk on such a small amount of alcohol ... we're talking less than a teaspoon over a day's vaping ... then you have the Curse of Bacchus, big time. If you were that intolerant you'd probably start crying if you sniffed someone else's gin.

Reminds me of the twat who tried to blame his vape when he was nicked for drunk driving.

Are you sure your sore throats are vape-related? Do you share your vape with others, clean your drip tip properly?

Last edited:
I use around 70% VG for sub-Ohm and 50/50 for MTL. My nic strength is 2 or 3

All my flavour concentrates are PG based and comprise anything up to 15% of the juice, so I guess I'll have to replace those.
My nicotine is also PG based but since it's 72mg I'm diluting it at least 23 to 1 so I might not switch until I run out - I have nearly 200ml left... enough for at least a gallon of juice!

Okay,

I have a couple of sites where you can get VG based flavour concentrates from (not many do that) will find one of them, and send it to you this evening.

Yeah you should be able to get away with the nicotine.

Iv'e used vodka before at 10%, never noticed any side effect apart from the increased throat hit.

If you can get drunk on such a small amount of alcohol ...
I didn't say how much.
However, it takes a lot less than drinking it to get off your face, and it doesn't creep up on you the way too much drink does: One minute you're perfectly sober, the next you're looking for a karaoke bar because you know your rendition of "My Way" deserves a microphone.

Okay,

I have a couple of sites where you can get VG based flavour concentrates from (not many do that) will find one of them, and send it to you this evening.

Yeah you should be able to get away with the nicotine.

Iv'e used vodka before at 10%, never noticed any side effect apart from the increased throat hit.
Thanks. I'm OK for sourcing ingredients.
When you've used things other than PG, have you needed more or less VG to maintain the required thickness?

If you're not sure that PG is the problem, wouldn't it make more sense to buy a bottle of pre-made 100VG juice, and see how you get along with that? Much less faff and expense if this just an experiment.

Hmmmm. That said, I'm always pleased to make more converts to the PG-free cause, so I won;'t try too hard to dissuade you :D

Thanks. I'm OK for sourcing ingredients.
When you've used things other than PG, have you needed more or less VG to maintain the required thickness?

Swings, and roundabouts situation really.
If you switch to VG concentrate obviously it becomes thicker.
But if you use PG
If you're not sure that PG is the problem, wouldn't it make more sense to buy a bottle of pre-made 100VG juice, and see how you get along with that? Much less faff and expense if this just an experiment.

You are missing the point mate, for his kit he wants it like a 70/30 viscosity would be.
Not many attys wick well with 100% vg.

You are missing the point mate, for his kit he wants it like a 70/30 viscosity would be.
Not many attys wick well with 100% vg.
most manufacturers of 100VG juice dilute the VG to improve wicking. You wouldn't even know it was 100 VG. An example would be Virgin Vapor in the USA.
In any case, if the juice he buys is too thick, he can always dilute it himself. That's considerably simpler than:

Back
Top Bottom