What's new

NI80 coils

Sp3ckyh0td0g81

Achiever
just a quick question
Can I use NI80 coils in TC mode and if so what temp range would you suggest ?

My mod is the Smoant battlestar and has NI mode which in the manual says is for Ni-Fe & Nickel

Would this be the one to use ?

It is not strictly correct that Ni80 can only be used in power mode. My Kanger KBOX 200 has a seperate setting for NiCr in TC mode. Ni80 CAN be used in temp mode IF your mod has a specific setting for it. Some do, some don't. Ni setting is not ok. NiCr setting is ok.

The good thing about the ni80 in wattage mode is you don't need a lot of power
So don't need a high wattage mod to to use them

So with nichrome wire say you build a coil that has a resistance of 0.39ohms what kind of wattage range would you be talking ?

So with nichrome wire say you build a coil that has a resistance of 0.39ohms what kind of wattage range would you be talking ?
Depends on the coil
Single wire single coil I'd go between 20-40 but a dual would be higher and a thick multi strand higher again
Luckily ni80 has fast ramp up so you can quickly see what it vapes like

image.jpg
I have some nichrome wire 24ga wire arrive from FT today, I got it from there just to practice my coil building so I went on steam engine and put in the details but it was asking what kind of nichrome it is, there is no mention on the reel which type it is
(See pic) so I guessed to was N80, a 3ml internal diameter aiming for a 0.5 resistance suggested 7 wraps I went a little higher and went to 10 wraps and the coil has came at 0.39 so just wondering what a safe wattage range to use would be or indeed clear up what type Nichrome this is

I ordered this a couple of weeks ago before I learned that there are different types of Nichrome etc and have spent a good deal of time trying to educate myself

Just want to be sure before using this wire I'm doing so safely

It is not strictly correct that Ni80 can only be used in power mode. My Kanger KBOX 200 has a seperate setting for NiCr in TC mode. Ni80 CAN be used in temp mode IF your mod has a specific setting for it. Some do, some don't. Ni setting is not ok. NiCr setting is ok.
Kind of true
Nichrome tcr is about 0.000x which is beyond the sensing range of even dna boards and has a resistance change of around 1% per 100c
So a 0.5 coil would change by about 0.0002 ohms, even equipment made for high end industrial applications would struggle to notice that
I think the kbox had it as a marketing thing and was more likely just a preheat style changing of wattage

I have no idea why Kanger included NiCr. But the answer to OP's question remains the same; to use Ni80 in temp mode you need a specific setting for it as the Ni setting is not suitable. But the NiCr setting is fine, if your mod has it.

Quote:

All this power is thanks to the KBOX 200W TC’s chipset, a technologically advanced operating board from Kangertech themselves, that has an atomizer sensor which is capable of accurately sensing the temperature of the coil builds at an incredible rate of 1000 times per second. This unique feature greatly improves the temperature regulation accuracy and enhances the consistency of each pull from the tank being used. This state-of-the-art regulating chipset allows for temperature control with coils built with Pure Nickel (Ni200), Titanium (Ti), Stainless Steel (SS) and Nichrome (NiCr) wires.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom