What's new

MTL Cant find a rebuildable that comes close to a stock mesh pod coil.

Cliffyboy1962

Achiever
I have always been a DTL vaper.

I have dabbled with MTL and have never been satisfied with the outcome. Usually, using rebuildable MTL tanks and DIY juices using Freebase NIC, I have been completely underwhelmed with the flavour output of such devices.

In the last six months however my vaping journey has taken a considerable u-turn.

The advent of MTL pod kits that use stock mesh coils ranging from 0.6 to 0.9 ohm and the availability of 20mg Salt nic juices have, for me, revolutionised the way I like to vape. My wife bought for me, a Voopoo vmate kit and i thought "OK I'll give it a try and wow!, coupled with a decent 20mg salt based liquid, the flavour output suddenly came alive. I was getting the same level of flavour I had been enjoying from DTL but with just a little tootle puffer.

Now you might think I would be happy having spent hundreds recently on various pod sticks and expensive juices but NO!, I am a rebuilder at heart and this constant buying of coils, pods and juices is killing me.

I am slowly solving the juices problem after buying some concentrated nic salt and having now made 3 different mixes that I like as much as the shop bought products but at a tenth of the price but my real dilemma is how to replicate the vape quality of a stock mesh MTL pod coil with a rebuildable device.

Can it be done? Personally I don't think so.

Until a Mesh MTL RTA comes along, nope.

I love MTL Mesh, and have dabbled with a few MTL coil RTA's, but while they have been good, have not matched the mesh equivalent. There have been some liquids that i use, which have tasted better in a coil rather than mesh, but i guess thats all down to the flavour profile.

I'm with you there, I much prefer RTA's but I've yet to try one that comes close to a stock mesh MTL pod, trouble is they keep getting better (the new VooPoo DRAG Nano 2 is just superb).

20mg nic salts changed my habit forever, the only vape I can get a nic high from, but I'm curious about your DIY eliquid, any chance of sharing your recipe?

But I think there is some hope that a rebuildable RTA is possible due to an unlikely source; those dreaded disposables, the flavour from these things is superb, I've stripped a few down to the coil and they are as basic as fuck, simple round wire in a tiny horizontal coil and surrounded by wicking material and a sponge-like, I would love to see a manufacturer replicate this method in an RTA somehow.

I think the wicking material and method has a lot to do with it though as I've also seen vertical coil versions that equal the flavour.

Here's an example, the wire and coil are nothing special but the wick, chimney and spongy cotton must be key?

IVG-4.jpg
IVG-5.jpg

As far as I know there aren't any mesh MTL RTAs yet, I'd love to try one of them myself if there were.

All I can think of is perhaps experimenting with the Wotofo SMRT PNP or RPM coils in an MTL pod kit or Voopoo/GTX pod tank. I'm not entirely sure if they'd fit but it might offer something different if it worked.

Perhaps a PNP MTL tank/ GTX22/PM80 or Smok RPM 80 might be worth looking into?

On a separate note, the best flavour for MTL I've found has come from an MTL RDTA - even a pod one. I've been using a VandyVape Jackaroo pod kit RDTA for over a year and the flavour from it is immense. Other manufacturers do them too, I know Geekvape have an RDTA and then there's the VapeFly Optima, and I'm sure there are others.

There's a whole host of proper tank RDA's too, so the world is your oyster.

As @Mr Ripple says is might be worth trying and RDA and seeing how you get on with that.

Check out the MTL RDA thread.

I'm with you there, I much prefer RTA's but I've yet to try one that comes close to a stock mesh MTL pod, trouble is they keep getting better (the new VooPoo DRAG Nano 2 is just superb).

20mg nic salts changed my habit forever, the only vape I can get a nic high from, but I'm curious about your DIY eliquid, any chance of sharing your recipe?

But I think there is some hope that a rebuildable RTA is possible due to an unlikely source; those dreaded disposables, the flavour from these things is superb, I've stripped a few down to the coil and they are as basic as fuck, simple round wire in a tiny horizontal coil and surrounded by wicking material and a sponge-like, I would love to see a manufacturer replicate this method in an RTA somehow.

I think the wicking material and method has a lot to do with it though as I've also seen vertical coil versions that equal the flavour.

Here's an example, the wire and coil are nothing special but the wick, chimney and spongy cotton must be key?

View attachment 265779 View attachment 265780

The way I see it, there is something special about a vertical, air through the inside, mesh coil that sets it apart from our puny horizontal, air on the outside, single coil builds. It's as if the flavour pops in the same way that a carbonated drink enhances flavour over a still drink.

With my MTL RTAs, I get a kind of general idea of the flavour profile of a juice, say just the main top note. With a mesh stock coil, I get the whole orchestra of flavours from the bass to the treble. Forgive my poor analogies.

If the vertical, air through the inside, mesh could could be made rebuildable, I would tell them to shut up and take my money. No hesitation.

I've been hunting what the wicking could be, looks like mostly Silica and the coils used are cheapo 'welded wire' which now makes more sense to me as I couldn't understand the high ohms with 1 long wire, I found some on Fasttech that look similar but it's only half the solution of the wicking method.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1593911

I stripped down a mesh pod, that looks similar to silica sheets wrapped around the diddy fragile mesh and constructed similar to 'normal' stock coils.

Back
Top Bottom