What's new

mg per ml to cigs calc

This is Trog's formula (or at least I learned it from him) on how to relate your juice consumption to number of cigarettes.

For those of you who do not know Trog, he is the inventor of the Screwdriver mod and all round likeably disagreeable chap, highly argumentative but occasionally very knowledgeable hehe

It is based on the assumption (evidence concurs) that compared to smoking, vaping is approx 30% as effective at giving your favoured nic experience. Also that the average cigarette contains 1mg of nicotine.
It is a rough approximater, not an exact scientific calculation.
(30% goes into 100% 3.33 times. 3.5 is used just to make things easier.)

It goes thus...
Take the mg/ml figure from your juice (18 or 24 for example) and multiply it by how many mls you go through in a day. Now divide that figure by 3.5. Ta da, an approximation of the equivelant number of cigarettes you are getting.

Example 1
I am on 6 to 8 mg/ml juice so I'll call it 7mg. Multiplied by the 5ml I go through a day = 35. 35 divided by 3.5 equals an approx 10 cigs worth of nic a day. Doesn't seem like a lot but...

Example 2
I used to use 18mg/ml juice and went through about 5ml a day which = 90. 90 divided by 3.5 equals an approx 26 cigs a day. This is still a bit low but isn't too far off the level I used to smoke at.

I'm interested in seeing how this works out for other folk.

That's pretty cool and does work out roughly right. I vape at 6mg, approx 5-6ml a day which is roughly 10 ciggies a day. I used to be on about 10-15 roll ups a day so I'm actually slightly "better" off on vaping in comparison :)

I was under the impression a cig contained between 6 and 9mg?

Puts me on the 15 cigarettes a day bracket at the minute but strangely enough I started on 24mg which works out as 20 a day which is what I smoked, so makes sense as I'm cutting my Nic intake I'm reducing my smoking

Well I'm not worrying about how much I Vape. Not that I ever have to be truthful. But according to this I've gone from 40 fags a day to 25. I find dividing by 3.33 is a tad more accurate.

Works out around 18 for me - I used to smoke 20+ rollies, so not bad - but must add, didn't feel this good when on the baccie (I'm sure we all feel better for vaping!!!)

Dividing by 3 hits right on the mark for my old smoking habits but as a rough estimate I think it works out pretty close.
We are all different, so for some it will work out nearer 4. I imagine there are folk that their vaping habits will be quite dramatically different from their smoking habits and it doesn't come close.

For some of us their is a natural inclination to drop the nic level as all the other gunk from cigs leaves the system, others seem to increase their nic as they search to quell the demon.

When some folk start vaping they worry that they are overdoing it. I think this formula is pretty good for showing that they aren't (or at least most aren't).

Back
Top Bottom