What's new

KFL2019 dry hits

tincool

Postman
So I've had my KFL2019 (YFTK clone I believe) for quite a while now. No matter what build I put in it, I get dry hits. It's a PITA as the draw I get from it is pretty much spot on. This morning I put in a brand new simple standard 2.5mm spaced kanthal coil, about 6 wraps came out at 1.14 ohms running it at 12 watts. After about 3 or 4 pulls I get dry hits and have to do quick pulls without power to saturate the coil. I'm using cotton bacon v2 and the wick is fairly loose. I cut the ends so they are not packed in to the juice wells.
I'm a seasoned vaper and have several other MTL tanks where I put in similar builds with no problems whatsoever. So what might I be doing wrong? Any suggestions appreciated.

I only have dry hits if I overstuff the wells. I did have an airlock problem once though. I simply turned the atty on its head and let the air get into the ports and had no further problems.

Sorry I’m not much help

How short do you trim each end of the cotton? Does it sit fully in the wells or just touching the bottom?

The Lite is very forgiving on wicking in my experience. There must be an O ring not fitted properly I would think. Had something similar on my KF Prime. Found an exploded diagram of the parts and discovered an O ring wasn't positioned right.

Juice hits the side of the wick on these so if theres no room at the bottom of the juice well for liquid to get to the rest of thr wick it will go dry.
Make sure theres space at the bottom of the juice well for liquid to get through.
As above dont fill the juice well with cotton.

Thanks all. The only thing I can think of is the legs of my wick are too long. I'll trim them slightly and see if it helps. Interestingly, when the tank gets about half way through the juice, dry hits lessen, so pressure is at play too. It still points to the wicking not being quite right.

So I tried shortening the wick legs and still getting dry hits. The wick simply isn't saturating quickly enough. I've resigned in to the drawer for another few months and dusted off my True MTL tank. Similar 2.5mm kanthal build, same cotton, same juice (egg nog btw) and right from the get go, no dry hits whatsoever. I forgot how good the True is.

So I tried shortening the wick legs and still getting dry hits. The wick simply isn't saturating quickly enough. I've resigned in to the drawer for another few months and dusted off my True MTL tank. Similar 2.5mm kanthal build, same cotton, same juice (egg nog btw) and right from the get go, no dry hits whatsoever. I forgot how good the True is.
Sounds like a loss of vacuum. I would replace all the O rings before giving up on it.

You're still putting to much cotton in the wells. Kayfuns wick like bastards when wicked right.
Experiment by taking too much off the tails. Then leave more on, till you find the middle ground.
They can take a whole lot of cotton and still wick but with muted flavour.

Your description sounds like the juice holes are blocked so juice can't get up to the tails.
Tails should hover over the holes but not in the holes.

Back
Top Bottom