What's new

If its not a hybrid mech mod, how does it work?...

As above really. All is well and good with hybrid mechs, just remember safety first. The SOI X is s great mod, I love mine, the only really downside for me is that it can't be locked (and the buttons not recessed) so it's a case of battery out whenever it goes anywhere.

The SOI shorty has an adjustable 510 (not a hybrid) and has a recessed button so no chance of accidental misfires. Also a great mech... [emoji108]
It can be locked. You pull out the switch & turn it clockwise

So, if I want a safe mech, can anyone recommend anything?

If it's a true mech then the only safely features on any of them are vent holes and a good protruding positive pin on the atty.

That's assuming we're talking about quality kit and not a £8 SMPL knockoff with a dodgy switch.

The rest is down to the knowledge and experience of the user.

We can tell you if something is definitely not safe but even the best mech mod is a pipe-bomb in the hands of someone who doesn't really understand them.

Apart from the look a mech mod will not give you anything that a modern regulated mod will and the regulated mod will probably do it longer and more consistently.

However, mechs do have their place (competition mods and tiny squonkers) and the time to start using them is when you have done enough research to not have to ask questions about them.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, it's not intended to, but mechs are essentially obsolete and inherently dangerous, hybrids doubly so, so a good amount of caution is advisable.

Last edited:

Do you have a mech already?
Why do you want one? No, really, why? Justify yourself here!
Do you make your own coils? What kindae coils/builds were you thinking of putting on the mech?
Have you a handle on Ohms Law and how it pertains to vaping?
Are you prepared to spend an hour or so a week swabbing, polishing and cleaning up the device?
Do you have a stash of VTC5a and/or HG LB6s batteries?

As @wraith says nae mech is 'safe' - aye you can get wee sleeves for inside the tube to improve cell safety concerns, aye you can get locking rings or the like so you don't auto or accidental fire the thing. But like a lot of other parts of this bad joke called life, without testing limits or occasionally going 'yah boo hiss' to safety concerns why bother? A degree of trepidation is fine, especially if you don't have the required minimum of knowledge in how something works, but if it is something you want to try.....

However, I'd as likely not advise or recommend most folks getting a mech until they have looked into the whole thing properly, can demonstrate some understanding on the ins and outs ( c'mon, if I can suss it.....!) and had a go on other peoples tubes and ideally given me a hefty consultation fee to attend my 'how no to be a dick with a mech' course....... Lets face it the most likely thing to fuck up part of any system is that damned weird and infuriating human element.

I'd got want a mech like experience that's "safe" the closest you'll get is a mosfet box with fuses and an on/off switch

Gives the same vape as a tube (sometimes better) but downside is you'll inky really get them as customs, though I think there might be one in the classifieds

Still requires good batteries and a good knowledge of ohms law (or practice on steam engine) and good coil building skills.

I like my mechs, but wouldn't recommend them as while they have a nice aesthetic side they do need more tinkering and many users like to push past amp limits, which is never actually safe (even a safe build can be a disaster if something goes wrong)

@Trotters Sorry to be blunt here, but seeing as you have another thread where you are saying you are starting to build your own coils and asking about the type of drill you need, I would suggest you should first master how to build coils, and get a knowledge of the different types of wire and how they affect the vape, the power required, ramp up etc, and then use your builds on regulated mods for a while. Don't try to run before you can walk. :)

bloodaxeHdisk.jpg
as long as you atty pin protrudes ,hybrids are fine

if you're comfortable with building , grab one and see,

@Trotters Sorry to be blunt here, but seeing as you have another thread where you are saying you are starting to build your own coils and asking about the type of drill you need, I would suggest you should first master how to build coils, and get a knowledge of the different types of wire and how they affect the vape, the power required, ramp up etc, and then use your builds on regulated mods for a while. Don't try to run before you can walk. :)
Yes youre right. I have DNA mods too. My intention is to practice doing what you say, using different wire, No of wraps, diameter etc & try it on my regulated mods. I don't think I'm trying to run before I can walk, because I think it will be a while before I'm confient to put one on my mech mod anyway. If I'm not confident I will just buy pre-made coils, but id at least like to attempt to do them myself.

Back
Top Bottom