What's new

first try at diy

Thanks. I think I know where you are coming from, but surely as 1 ml equals 1 mg, accurate weighing scales to 0.01mg would just make it easier? And using say a shot glass like you suggested, no sodding around cleaning syringes etc?

sorry but no thats entirely wrong 1mg does not equal 1ml. mg is a weight denisty ml is a capacity and the conversion isnt that simple.

this chart gives an idea but to try and measure out 1ml in mg would be with digital scales a tedious procedure

in fact according to the chart 1ml is actually 50mg but as liquids are different densitys and weights then it depends on the liquid in question.
for example you have PG which is quite thin, VG is thick and heaver and nIc base is very thin and concentrates can vary in viscosity so most likely vary in weight. liquid mercury is far heavier than say liquid nitrogen for instance.
also as you work in percentages first in the calc you can then find for instance you may need say 2.3ml of X flavour.. so then you have to work that out first when with a 2.5ml syringe thats in 0.1 inrements it take s second to just draw the plunger up and get the correct amount. adding scales and conversions just would make something simple complicated

http://versacloz.com/images/mg-to-mL-1-large.png

an example here fo different liquids and there masses which equals to different weight per ML

Rubbing Alcohol .79 Lamp Oil .80 Baby Oil .83 Vegetable Oil .92 Ice Cube .92 Water 1.00 Milk 1.03 Dawn Dish Soap 1.06 Light Corn Syrup 1.33 Maple Syrup 1.37 Honey 1.42

different liquids have different densitys therefore scales aint a very accurate way to mix m8

Well, in my car spraying days a single drop too much of a colour tint could knock the colour way out. Ok, I'm not a scientist, but the program I downloaded that was suggested (Ejuicemeup), has mg as well as ml. And if they are your own mixes I don't see how you could go wrong? I think the densities of PG-VG-and concentrate would be pretty similar.

sorry but no thats entirely wrong 1mg does not equal 1ml. mg is a weight denisty ml is a capacity and the conversion isnt that simple.

this chart gives an idea but to try and measure out 1ml in mg would be with digital scales a tedious procedure

in fact according to the chart 1ml is actually 50mg but as liquids are different densitys and weights then it depends on the liquid in question.
for example you have PG which is quite thin, VG is thick and heaver and nIc base is very thin and concentrates can vary in viscosity so most likely vary in weight. liquid mercury is far heavier than say liquid nitrogen for instance.
also as you work in percentages first in the calc you can then find for instance you may need say 2.3ml of X flavour.. so then you have to work that out first when with a 2.5ml syringe thats in 0.1 inrements it take s second to just draw the plunger up and get the correct amount. adding scales and conversions just would make something simple complicated

http://versacloz.com/images/mg-to-mL-1-large.png

an example here fo different liquids and there masses which equals to different weight per ML

Rubbing Alcohol .79 Lamp Oil .80 Baby Oil .83 Vegetable Oil .92 Ice Cube .92 Water 1.00 Milk 1.03 Dawn Dish Soap 1.06 Light Corn Syrup 1.33 Maple Syrup 1.37 Honey 1.42

Ok mate, I've scrapped the idea of scales anyway, and ordered some 1ml and 5 ml syringes (Already have pippettes and a 10 ml syringe). As I say I'm no scientist, thanks for putting me right :D

furtehr to add in relation to e liquids
PG has a density of 965.27 ( 1.036 g/cm³ )
VG has a density of 1259.37 ( 1.261 g/cm3 )

nicotine is .01 g/cm3

as you can see all different so all different mg to ml

I use 5ml syringes to decant liquids into tanks, much less lost although when I packed in the cigarettes, I didn't think I'd be using needles

Well, in my car spraying days a single drop too much of a colour tint could knock the colour way out. Ok, I'm not a scientist, but the program I downloaded that was suggested (Ejuicemeup), has mg as well as ml. And if they are your own mixes I don't see how you could go wrong? I think the densities of PG-VG-and concentrate would be pretty similar.
thats because your working with a signle substance. ie spray paint so they would all have pretty much the same denisty. eliquids however have around 4 ( sometimes more ) .. PG, VG, nicotine, flavour concentrates and sweetners all of which have a vast degree of density. as for ejuice me up the only mg listing is the nic base and nic strength becuase NIC is measured in MG for the Content of nictone in the solution NOT teh amount in ML becuase nic comes in a 54mg per 100 or 72mg per 100 ( you can get 99.9mg per 100 but only normally if you have a licence to buy it like that in the UK ). it has no bearing on the ML quantity other than in relation to the higher strength requiring less and then end result when you click calculate in ejuicemeup gives the quantity of NIC in ml.

if you are going to make your own liquids you should and need to be aware of these facts.

Phantom Diablo - 'drops arent accurate because US drops and UK drops per ml are different amounts'
unless the laws of physics are different in the uk and the us I don't think this can be correct :)

antz1970 - 'different liquids have different densitys...'
yes
' ...therefore scales aint a very accurate way to mix m8'
no (non sequitor)
When once you know the density it isn't going to change.

Phantom Diablo - 'furtehr to add in relation to e liquids
PG has a density of 965.27 ( 1.036 g/cm³ )
VG has a density of 1259.37 ( 1.261 g/cm3 )
nicotine is .01 g/cm3

as you can see all different so all different mg to ml
'

ok. but the quantity of nicotine is so small that you can just use the base (PG, VG) as the density.

So:

PG grams per ml 1.04
VG grams per ml 1.26
nicotine according to base
most flavours are PG based, so 1.04

it is fairly easy to find weighing devices which resolve down to 0.01 grams over a 200 gram range.
if you are able to use a volume measuring device that can give you anywhere near that level of accuracy/resolution then your a better man than I :)

If you want to be super accurate weigh a small amount of YOUR liquid and use that figure.
e.g. measure out 100ml of vg and weigh, then divide by 100. (using a larger amount of liquid reduces the effect of measurement error)

Having said this, I have only recently started mixing, and have not yet used the weighing method.
But it seems to me that weighing is going to be easier and more accurate. Particularly when mixing up small (testing) quantities.

Just my opinion.

I have bought 0.01g resolution scales which should arrive this weekend and will find out how practical the method is. (the proof of the pudding... :))

We're not juice producers, we're hobbyists making juice for ourselves and our mates. Absolute accuracy is not a goal, we're not subject to visits from the weights and measures man from Trading Standards. Our goal is to be able to replicate. Once we have a recipe nailed down we need to make it again and this is achieved through consistency - doing everything the same way.

So in a way it doesn't matter whether you count drops, measure through syringes or by weight as long as you do it the same way as you did it last time, every time.

Time is of the essence though because most of us have better things to do than make juice. I'd much rather sit in front of the desk, eat noodles and watch the bottles mature on the shelf. :) My time saving method is to premix all my nic bases into 250ml bottles. Then when I'm making 5ml, 10ml or 50ml of juice I measure the concentrates and add one base ... measuring once rather than three times for VG, PG and nicotine. After all, every measurement is an opportunity for error, so fewer measures = fewer mistakes. On the safety angle, I'm only handling nicotine once a month and not every time I make up some juice.

Personally, I'd rather save time than be scientifically, absolutely accurate. I just don't see how weighing can save me time so I'll be sticking to syringes.

Phantom Diablo - 'drops arent accurate because US drops and UK drops per ml are different amounts'
unless the laws of physics are different in the uk and the us I don't think this can be correct :)

nothing to do with physics.. just US and UK measurements being different, just like a US tonne is different from the UK one.
a US and UK gallon equally have a different amount of fluid oz's per gallon and they measure the amount of drops per ml differently.

its pretty common knowledge that drops are measured differently between US and UK.
also the volume of a drop is not well-defined as it depends on the device and technique used to produce the drop, on the strength of the gravitational field, and on the density and the surface tension of the liquid.
the amount por ml can range anywhere between 20-30 drops.

just seems a lot of faffing around doing it by weighing as you have to calculate each time the conversion rate for the particular liquid AND the quantity ( PG mg to ml x quantity, VG mg to ML x quantity etc etc ) by time thats all done after having made the calculations in ML already in ejuicemeup or other similar calc you could have knocked up a few bottle already.

you also then have to consider any tweaking if say juice is to weak.. maybe requires more of a flavour, or some sweetner, or sour etc. rather than just be add to add an extra 1/2 ml or 1% you have to go through the process of calculating again . seems like alot of extra work for little benefit

Back
Top Bottom