What's new

Eczema? PG allergy?

Charlie Vapes

Postman
So I started vaping about 2months ago. I started on 100% VG. I was told higher VG is better and somehow in my head worked out VG is a bit healthier, not sure what I read to think that.
About a month later I switched to 70/30-85/15 from a local shop. Various flavours, so I doubt it's a flavouring. Around the same time I noticed a small patch of dry/itchy skin on one of my elbows. My mum thinks it's eczema. I've never had eczema in my life, so it seems a bit more than a coincidence.
I've also felt pretty rough for the last month, bad headaches, sore throats, just not feeling well. Although I had put that (except sore throats) down to a change in medication.

Should I swap to 100% VG? I was just about to post in the DIY section as I plan to make my own juices soon, but it's hard to find non PG flavourings!

Any thoughts would be great.

More likely nicotine or possible reaction to flavourings. PG can cause sore throat/dryness but nicotine, if in high strength/sub ohm will do it as well + more likely reason for headaches. As you don't mention nic strength or types of flavours, difficult to pin down.
As an aside VG is used in some health & skin products so that's probably where the health link came from. Boots sell it over the counter.

More likely nicotine or possible reaction to flavourings. PG can cause sore throat/dryness but nicotine, if in high strength/sub ohm will do it as well + more likely reason for headaches. As you don't mention nic strength or types of flavours, difficult to pin down.
As an aside VG is used in some health & skin products so that's probably where the health link came from. Boots sell it over the counter.

Thanks for the reply.
6mg nicotine (just dropped to 3mg a couple days ago) getting through 5ml juice most days.
Flavours, started out with fruit flavours like strawberry, peach, blueberry at 100% VG. When I went to my local shop they only had 70/30 and sometimes 85/15 and only more 'adventurous' flavours. Strawberry candy floss. Blueberry donut. Banana sundae. Etc.
Could be that. I thought I'd googled why I was told to get minimum 70% VG and somehow came to the conclusion the higher the VG the better.

Thanks
C

The vg in juice is what gives you the clouds, pg is a better carrier of flavour & most flavours are in pg. The increase in pg may be an issue regarding sore throat etc but keeping hydrated will ease this & the headaches.
The eczema could be triggered by anything so difficult to pin down.
I have heard of some people who are pg intolerent but it is rare.
Sure somebody can recommend suppliers of VG flavours/nic so ask the question in Mixology.
Just remember to drink plenty when vaping to keep hydrated.
Good luck & merry xmas.

ps. Get hold of some vg & use it on your elbows, supposed to be really good. Do a test on non infected area first to eliminate any reaction.

I have had eczema all my life buddy i find when it gets colder its flares up. Also dehydration can cause dry skin so drink plenty of water. I wouldnt put any of this down to vaping.

My wife has very bad Eczema. My vaping can really agitate her skin. Particularly here eyes. Her dermatologist has confirmed that the ingredients are known to cause flare ups and agitation for eczema sufferers. Not to say what you have is eczema, but its not beyond the realms of possibility.

The vg in juice is what gives you the clouds, pg is a better carrier of flavour & most flavours are in pg. The increase in pg may be an issue regarding sore throat etc but keeping hydrated will ease this & the headaches.
The eczema could be triggered by anything so difficult to pin down.
I have heard of some people who are pg intolerent but it is rare.
Sure somebody can recommend suppliers of VG flavours/nic so ask the question in Mixology.
Just remember to drink plenty when vaping to keep hydrated.
Good luck & merry xmas.

ps. Get hold of some vg & use it on your elbows, supposed to be really good. Do a test on non infected area first to eliminate any reaction.

Thanks for the Replies.
Since vaping, I have been drinking a lot more than normal, and don't feel dehydrated.
Thanks I'll have an ask over there.
I'll try the VG, never heard of that one!

Merry Xmas to you too.

Thanks Mick, just seems wierd after 29 years of no eczema that it starts soon after vaping.

Thanks Shaun. I'm not 100% what I have is eczema but it seems like it.

I'll try and find the websites I stumbled across a while ago that say a PG allergy can cause eczema. It said PG allergy was rare, and VG allergy was extremely rare, but had a list of possible things each could cause. It did also say don't worry about vaping, if you have an allergy (or intolerance or whatever) to PG/VG then you'd probably already know as they're in loads of stuff.

Here

2min 20secs on

Here

Around a minute I think.

Hardly scientific reasearch papers. But 2 separate places saying the same thing

I normally get dry skin around the elbows at this time of year and it normally clears up as the weather improves. Like above the pg could be the reason for the sore throat. Vg absorbed water that's why it's best to drink more but if your already doing that then it could be the nic that's giving you the headache.
I often get a headache if I'm over vaping I put it down for a while and it soon clears.

Back
Top Bottom