What's new

Down the middle or on the outside?

Mitz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Curious how others build certain deck styles.

For example; Reload RTA; Ammit dual RTA; Kylin RTA.

These tanks have one thing in commom in the way the airflow comes in from the side vents. Often the vents are raised but the airflow is not angled and directed at the coils. Whenever I watch videos of people building on these decks they always seem to build their coils in the center of the deck. In this position only a very small portion of the coils are covered by the airflow vents. I shift my coils right over on each side so they sit as squarely as possible over each airflow vent.

Wondering who here places their coils in the center of the deck and who shifts them off to the side?

It's a question Morten has attempted to answer, but mileage may vary...at least what he's done here gives a clue how the airflow behaves. It's probably not leaving the hole evenly - it's likely more forceful at one side - affecting coil placement somewhat. Many variables, not least the Kennedy tubes being round - but anyway, make of it what you will:

It's a question Morten has attempted to answer, but mileage may vary...at least what he's done here gives a clue how the airflow behaves. It's probably not leaving the hole evenly - it's likely more forceful at one side - affecting coil placement somewhat. Many variables, not least the Kennedy tubes being round - but anyway, make of it what you will:

I think morten has proved himself spot on about airflow with the njord, lol.
How to destroy your rep in one move.
I tried the sample sandman/njord and poor poor quality aside it really is impossibly tasteless. I spent an afternoon with its owner attempting every build possible (including some seriously wacky multiple vertical coils) and it was truly the worst rda I've ever used for flavour. What was the man thinking.

I think morten has proved himself spot on about airflow with the njord, lol.
How to destroy your rep in one move.
I tried the sample sandman/njord and poor poor quality aside it really is impossibly tasteless. I spent an afternoon with its owner attempting every build possible (including some seriously wacky multiple vertical coils) and it was truly the worst rda I've ever used for flavour. What was the man thinking.

Heh. My experience differs ;) I'd not call it flavourless by any stretch but nothing tastes quite right in it either. The Zathog, on the other hand, is one of the better 30mm rdas you can buy imo. The longer I've used it, the more impressed I've been. I haven't posted his video as gospel or anything - just a handy visual from which folks can [preferably] draw their own conclusions.

Heh. My experience differs ;) I'd not call it flavourless by any stretch but nothing tastes quite right in it either. The Zathog, on the other hand, is one of the better 30mm rdas you can buy imo. The longer I've used it, the more impressed I've been. I haven't posted his video as gospel or anything - just a handy visual from which folks can [preferably] draw their own conclusions.
I thought it was dreadful but in fairness it was the review sample and didn't have the airdisc so I don't know if anything changed.
I took a lot of the finish off too.
I'm pretty sure atom vapes with their union jack are actually a sales office and the company is actually Chinese as I couldn't find much about them. (Coils aside).

Morten may well have dropped the ball with the Njord, but his experiments with airflow are very interesting, from a physics perspective.

I definitely think he is on to something, but probably tried to introduce too much innovation too soon, before the dynamics of airflow are fully understood.

Does the air travel along the shortest path between the air intakes and the exit of the chimney? (No, probably not)

Where are areas of turbulence created in the deck area, and how does this turbulence affect flavour?

Interesting stuff, and there are probably some surprises lurking.

Yes - the Njord was delayed for re-finishing and shipped with the ultem reducer. If you're the type who likes cool liquorice/aniseed/blackcurrant/menthol then it may find a use - I'm not, unless I have a cold and I've only had one mild one since stopping smoking in 2014 - so it's probably not going to get a lot of use...

Zathog though - If this had come out first it'd be a totally different story. Fate, tsk. ;)

Not a big fan of Oen. Some of the very best flavour attys have airflow that comes in low under the coil and then up. His Njord was a dismal failure and his experiments are far from scientific and definitive. He has no experience in aerodynamics and his opinions and experimants have been disputed by many. I like Oen. He's a Scandinavian so I can't help but like him. But I don't think his experiments are the Holy Grail. Interesting none-the-less. I've watched all his videos. Agree on his wicking 100%

Last edited:
Agree with all that. Interesting & useful nonetheless - as with most stuff - a mixture of yes, no and maybe.
Easy enough to draw our own conclusions from what he's been up to.

Agree with all that. Interesting & useful nonetheless - as with most stuff - a mixture of yes, no and maybe.
Easy enough to draw our own conclusions from what he's been up to.
I am planning to pick up the Zathog. Looks too interesting to pass up. And the reviews, including yours, which I appreciate, are mostly favourable. :2thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom