What's new

Coils shorting?

Hi and thank you! This looks like a great forum :2thumbsup:

I checked, then double checked, and finally triple checked that the coils did not touch the posts or the deck, and I am 100% sure they did not. So I am really confused and frustrated :-P

When I got the message on my regulated mod, that "Atomizer Short", I took of the deck, remounted the coils and then checked all again; Nothing seems to solve the problem. Only thing I can think of, is that the inner lead is snapped, but I can't see how or why that should be the case? :-)
hi your welcome iam sure you will get it sorted in the end ...

Are you sure its a short you have and not too low resistance? Have you tried one coil at a time? Initial resistance may be too low with potential hotspots which you may need to sort one coil out forst before instaling a second

What Haich said is the most likely cause, but even if they are too low resistance for you mod you should be getting a reading on the mod at least. Pics of the build might help but if you have already tried everything they might not.

I’d definitely try and install one at a time and see if that helps.

I also tried with only one coil at a time - no difference. And I have a hard time believing that it has to low a resistance to read with only one coil. I used 26GA for core and 32 for wrapping, which should give a resistance of about 0.3 for the fused clapton and about 0.25 for the triple core clapton. My mods can read down to 0.05. Even with the hotspots the resistance should not go under 0.05 ohm - or am I completely off here? :-) IF this should be the problem, how can I solve it then? It'll be hard to find anything that can fire below 0.05 Ohm. So a torch might be the solution here?

As above but also try firing the mod with no tank or rba on it before putting it back on as it could just be not recognising it as new coil.

It has been recognized as a new coil every time :-)

Only other thing I can think is that you’ve left a wire clipping in the tank/dripper and it’s shorting out. That or your mod isn’t functioning properly.

I had a similar issue, I fitted the new wires to the dead rabbit, using smok alien mod and kept getting ohms too low message. I kept strumming the coils with the wire brush and managed to get it to fire. Then repeated until the coils glowed then re-tightened the screws. I did also clean the head and made sure was no rogue flicks of wire anywhere along with tightening the posts. Once it warmed up, was easy to then straighten the coils up and it was working fine. Something out of all of those things got it working!

Only other thing I can think is that you’ve left a wire clipping in the tank/dripper and it’s shorting out. That or your mod isn’t functioning properly.

Also checked that, and even cleaned all of my devices :-P And if it is mod failing - then I have 3 faulty mods :)

I had a similar issue, I fitted the new wires to the dead rabbit, using smok alien mod and kept getting ohms too low message. I kept strumming the coils with the wire brush and managed to get it to fire. Then repeated until the coils glowed then re-tightened the screws. I did also clean the head and made sure was no rogue flicks of wire anywhere along with tightening the posts. Once it warmed up, was easy to then straighten the coils up and it was working fine. Something out of all of those things got it working!

I will try to keep strumming them, and see if I can get it to fire. Thanks for the advice :-)

Just to let you guys know, and kinda make a fool out of myself, I wanted to let you know that I did sort out the problem.

I ended up discarding the before mentioned coils and wanted to make some new ones. Therefor I of course had to find my wire and so on. And my core wire was not Kanthal, but SS. So my dealer had given me the wrong wire and I did not check up on it before use :oops2: So.. As you maybe already have figured out, it actually WAS because of too low resistance - and NOT a short :oops2:

But.. Then I just made some new coils - WITH THE RIGHT WIRE - They came out like this:

IMG_0288.JPG

Tri-core Fused Clapton; 26GA kanthal core wrapped in 39GA kanthal. Not perfect, but only my 2 attempt on making a tri-core :-)

Just to let you guys know, and kinda make a fool out of myself, I wanted to let you know that I did sort out the problem.

I ended up discarding the before mentioned coils and wanted to make some new ones. Therefor I of course had to find my wire and so on. And my core wire was not Kanthal, but SS. So my dealer had given me the wrong wire and I did not check up on it before use :oops2: So.. As you maybe already have figured out, it actually WAS because of too low resistance - and NOT a short :oops2:

But.. Then I just made some new coils - WITH THE RIGHT WIRE - They came out like this:

View attachment 146748

Tri-core Fused Clapton; 26GA kanthal core wrapped in 39GA kanthal. Not perfect, but only my 2 attempt on making a tri-core :-)

They look great. I’m curious to see what you call perfect [emoji1]

Back
Top Bottom