What's new

Broke my Fasttech Cherry - Customs Charges?

Those 'admin fees' aren't legal. I am into classic Volkswagens and there is a community forum like POTV called VZi. Lots of people import parts from the States via a website called the Samba. In this case Parcelforce were paying customs charges without prior consent and with-holding the goods until their 'admin' charges were met. Someone on there actually legally challenged Parcel Force and the charges were over turned. Customs charges are taxation and it is between you the recipient and HMRC, not the couriers.

Now this is an instance where it is appropariate to say; this is heresay without evidence.

Try telling that to Royal mail. £8 admin fee on top of whatever charges incurred. But as said you won't get any fees using fasttech etc. Even if you buy a $100 plus mod.

If they withhold your mail quote section 83 of the Postal Services Act 2000.

If they withhold your mail quote section 83 of the Postal Services Act 2000.

Like all legislation, section 83 has a clause. section 83 subsection 3. Since royal mail publish the information relating to handling fees, then it’s clearly part of the terms and conditions applicable to the item’s transmission by post. (subsection 1 is simply prohibits the opening or delaying of post without reasonable cause, what you meant, in effect). See below.

“Subsection (1) does not apply to the delaying or opening of a postal packet in accordance with any terms and conditions applicable to its transmission by post.”

But what i was asking for @Speedwell68 , was evidence that it’s unlawful for them to charge a handling fee. Because that’s what you said.

There are lots of posts on this on forums like this one:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5503589

@Vapaneezer Scrooge bught many times from FT and GB - never once charged. :)

Yes I know there is @Crewella , people love moaning about having to pay out money. But there’s no evidence that the charging of handling fees is illegal as @Speedwell68 said, because I’m pretty certain that it’s lawful. Companies charge for services, unfortunately for the tight arsed among us.

I would be happy to be proved wrong. But until then, it’s hearsay without evidence, I’m afraid.

Yes I know there is @Crewella , people love moaning about having to pay out money. But there’s no evidence that the charging of handling fees is illegal as @Speedwell68 said, because I’m pretty certain that it’s lawful. Companies charge for services, unfortunately for the tight arsed among us.

I would be happy to be proved wrong. But until then, it’s hearsay without evidence, I’m afraid.
Erm ....... it's not about people complaining, it gives the exact solution to the issue and links to govt. websites for any importer to self-declare the charges themselves and avoid the courier charges (though you may wish you hadn't!). The argument for the charges being cancelled if challenged, which does work for some, is down to the fact that those options do exist..

Yes, of course you can arrange to declare the goods yourself. But if you choose not to @Speedwell68 is saying it’s illegal for the carrier to charge a handling fee for doing it on your behalf. It’s this that we require evidence about. I don’t care about the rest of it. :P

Charges can always be waived, that doesn’t mean they were illegal in the first place. That is a pure free man on the land argument.

wouldnt order from anywhere else - i'm as tight as a nun's chuff so its china or bust. Just always, always refer to Simon G's signiture - it should be the motto over the door for POTV.

Back
Top Bottom