What's new

Armour Pro loose door 'fixed'

Vambo

Postman
Yeah great little single 18650/21700 mod but with a POS door. Well mine is anyway, so I barely used it from new (too many spilled and dented batteries)
I had tried just putting a couple of o-rings over the door (adds pressure) but they just split /fall off eventually and its an ugly fix. But since it's too good a mod to not use, I had another go today...

So, the better 'fix' is to slip a small 'O-ring' around the door's sprung (-) Pin, at the hinge - fatter the better.
A bit of a fiddly job, but not that bad -requires a small flat blade screwdriver (or alternative) and a pair of cermic / fine and pointy tweezers.
Open the door - Depress the sprung pin under the door hinge with the screwdriver and push an o-ring in with the tweezers.
Make sure the o-ring is NOT caught between the hinge (-) Pin itself and the door contact - it has to be around the pin - or you won't get a circuit obviously.
See - photo.

The idea is the door needs pressure on the outside 'catch' to stay closed - without that, it tends to pop open just with the slightest touch of a finger.
There is online, another method involving a strip down and increasing the throw/ pressure of the battery (+) Pin - thereby causing the battery to push harder against the door.

This 'O-ring fix' avoids a strip down.
It's still a big improvement and the fatter and wider the O-ring you can stick in there the better.
As well as increasing pressure at the door hinge, the rubber gives a little more friction and the door doesn't slide as easily either.
The sprung pin keeps the o-ring from falling out and its all good!

A damn sight better than the POS design was straight out the box.

Hope this helps those who still have this great little mod.
IMG_20200417_192642.jpg

Last edited:
Mine spilled the battery just once shortly after I 1st got it. If it done it a second time I would have got one of the silicone protective cases as they cover the door enough to secure it leaving a open space for venting. I think they are still available for around £3 or £4 on fasttech, ebay and amazon.

Mine spilled the battery just once shortly after I 1st got it. If it done it a second time I would have got one of the silicone protective cases as they cover the door enough to secure it leaving a open space for venting. I think they are still available for around £3 or £4 on fasttech, ebay and amazon.
Didn't know about them, I'll take a look, ta.
Usually.I don't bother with 'sleeves' for mods just to keep the bulk down, but the Armour Pro was languishing away for want of use...
The O-ring is holding up so far, but maybe a silicone cover is worth investing in.

I put a tiny dab of super glue gel on the inside bottom of the tab as close to the tip as possible, waited maybe 10-15 seconds than smushed it and wiped it of with a paper towl, now there us grip on it wont open unless i want it to...or if it falls n hits just right

I might try that oring trick in addition tho, thats a good idea, that door needs all the help it can get

I put a tiny dab of super glue gel on the inside bottom of the tab as close to the tip as possible, waited maybe 10-15 seconds than smushed it and wiped it of with a paper towl, now there us grip on it wont open unless i want it to...or if it falls n hits just right

I might try that oring trick in addition tho, thats a good idea, that door needs all the help it can get
Please do, it works great - the Mod has been in constant use and abuse since that fix and hasn't let me down yet!
Just got lucky with first choice of o-ring. It's just wide enough and thick enough (if you look closely) to sit under each of the 'black' hinges either side of the brass contact and pin.
If it ever wears out, I can just pop another in

You might find that you need to clean your tab, because it's a very firm catch with the o-ring fix.

I had toyed with various things, looking mainly at the catch, trying to make the tab thicker or the catch narrower - that sort of thing. But realised the catch & tab was fine, it was the pressure on them was the problem.
It's a very loose catch for lack of pressure, as you know the lightest touch would pop it open.

I thought about using some kind of wedge in at the hinge. Initially it was going to be a glued shim - but looking closely, I noticed the contact pin was also sprung and always in contact. So if I slipped an o-ring over it, it would act as a cushioned wedge and it wouldn't fall out.
As well as being 'rubber' it would give a bit of resistance to the sliding of the door.
You really have to push now to slide it!

Works superbly!
Good luck, it's a bit fiddly :D

For sure man, do u have any idea what size o ring it is? I like it a lot because it looks like it would also provide some reinforcement around the hinge area, kind of like a cushion.

Honestly, i think i just got lucky with the superglue, i was having such a hard time putting the little drop on it, i finally just gave up n tried to wipe it off, and low and behold it ended up working just right...

Best I can make out with my calipers - about 8mm x 1mm
I have so many baggies of assorted o-ring spares from atty's 'n things - it was just the first one that looked about the right size to fit.
Maybe an o-ring from a 510 drip tip might work?

The Drip Tip Store do packets of assorted rings might be suitable if you have no spares.
Failing that I might have something I could post you, if you're struggling.

Hope you find something.
Let me know how you get on.

https://www.thedriptipstore.com/collections/spare-drip-tip-o-rings

Best I can make out with my calipers - about 8mm x 1mm
I have so many baggies of assorted o-ring spares from atty's 'n things - it was just the first one that looked about the right size to fit.
Maybe an o-ring from a 510 drip tip might work?

The Drip Tip Store do packets of assorted rings might be suitable if you have no spares.
Failing that I might have something I could post you, if you're struggling.

Hope you find something.
Let me know how you get on.

https://www.thedriptipstore.com/collections/spare-drip-tip-o-rings
U ever come across a sleeve protector for it other than that shitty one everyone seems to be selling the same version of?

U ever come across a sleeve protector for it other than that shitty one everyone seems to be selling the same version of?
Not really no.
I toyed with the idea of a sleeve for using in workshop etc, but just added bulk to it and my EDC for that kinda thing is a Pico25 with a small atty on. Currently field testing a Swag2 with a Gear bolted to it.

So, just the usual Amazon/Fasttech etc - that grainy textured one, with occasionally different 'designer names' seems to be about it.

Thanks dude!! This idea worked perfectly! I pulled off the batterydbattery and the mechanism was like a watch strap! Managed to put a thick ring of rubber
IMG_20200719_215859.jpg
and now the battery door doesn't slip anymore!! Perfect solution!

Back
Top Bottom