What's new

Another headline that doesn't tell the truth

The beeb has suckling on the nourishing teat of Yankee sensationalism pretty hard of late and I'd put it down to the likely future political "conscious coupling" of the UK to the US that's on the cards post brexit but the fact they're currently placing a huge financial gamble on their britbox service that the US is undeniably it's largest target audience really does obliterate any credibility for balanced journalism.
I've sadly just heard a report on absolute radio too and there's no response included from any of the anti smoking groups just the boy's doctor lapping up his moment of fame. Terribly reported.

Thank god for the BBC, I'm quitting today, already bought 200 ciggies to help me quit vaping.

Does anyone want to buy all my vape gear and eliquids - caution 50% of them will kill you (maybe).

When are we going to see headlines like Vaping saved my life (or limbs in my case).
They could have shown a photo of me on a surgeons table having Angioplasty.
My leg was at risk of amputation.

My benefits of swithing to vaping:
  • Since vaping my Carbon Monoxide levels dropped from 20 to 2 (which is the same level as a non smoker)
  • My breathing capacity improved with the blow tube test.
  • Sense of smell improved.
  • My house was no longer a carbon monoxide trap.
  • I no longer smell like an ashtray (just piss, BO, bad breath and bullshit now)
  • As a diabetic I get to enjoy sweet flavours.
  • My fitness levels increased as I could walk further without being out of breath.
There may be more but you get my point, where's a list of Smoking benefits?

Ah well more lectures in store for me from strangers that swallow everything they read - "it must be true as it was on BBC news"

Grrrrrr
Out

When are we going to see headlines like Vaping saved my life (or limbs in my case)

Maybe when they get approached about it?

Go on to one of the tabloid sites and somewhere near the bottom there's always a "we buy your story" link.

These days there's no need for them to look for content, it all gets thrown at them - join in the throwing.

John Dunne just been on the BBC news channel. He seemed to come across well, but the presenter kept trying to bring it back to "flavours aimed at children" and gateway drug etc along with 95% safer is not safe.

Go on to one of the tabloid sites and somewhere near the bottom there's always a "we buy your story" link.

These days there's no need for them to look for content, it all gets thrown at them - join in the throwing.
Fair point as always :2thumbsup:

Quoting myself to continue...

Not long ago I got essentially told off for saying advocacy wasn't my job...

I don't have the sort of story that would be anything near newsworthy - so apart from telling the odd person about the facts or donating money I don't have what is there I can actually do?

There's loads of posts on here about how vaping made a difference to someone - how many of those people have personally approached news outlets in an effort to publicise benefits?

Thank god for the BBC, I'm quitting today, already bought 200 ciggies to help me quit vaping.

fags_0.jpg

https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/news/opinions/2019-05-13_vaping-harm-reduction.html

Fair point as always :2thumbsup:

;)

So there's my advocacy contribution - I suggest that anyone with a verifiable positive story contact the media of their choice.

Maybe positivity could become newsworthy if it outweighs the negativity?

There's been hundreds of posts on here with the "your vaping story" thread, and random posts scattered about too.

If half of those got chucked at the media (personally and individually, not in batches by a third party) then the numbers would maybe fall in favour against the handful of negative stories?

John Dunne just been on the BBC news channel. He seemed to come across well, but the presenter kept trying to bring it back to "flavours aimed at children" and gateway drug etc along with 95% safer is not safe.

There are so many dangerous things we human beings or apes do that have dangers and fatalities far exceeding vaping but they are old news, Alcohol, driving, smoking, cycling, motorcycling, crossing the road, drugs, diets, DIY, house fires and many more that actually kill and are proven to do so, there's no perspective, shove all these on a chart and vaping will be right at the bottom even if the so called vape related deaths are to be believed (I would put the THC ones in narcotic abuse category).

Using the excuse about flavours being aimed at children really get my goat, it's a matter of enforcement not danger and likely to be dodgy shops, anyway kids get hold of cigarettes and alcohol just as we did when we were kids.

Though if a Vape Juice supplier released a Kinder Egg vape I would draw the line :18:

In my life I carry far more risk doing other activities than Vaping, just yesterday I went up and down my stairs around 20 times - daredevil or what?

Back
Top Bottom