What's new

Am I the only one?

I had to go to the doc yesterday, I found it odd being labelled an ex-smoker as I don’t ever think about smoking. I know I used to, but I can’t remember what it was like.

I think there's just something about having a real cigarette that vaping can't compete with.
This is true ... fags deliver a noxious stink, plenty of carbon monoxide and quite a few carcinogens. What's not to like?

Seriously though, based on the experience of all the dual fuellers I know the reason they can't kick the smokes is because they don't have their vaping set up nailed down. It takes a bit of will power to make the switch and dial into vaping ... it's a replacement but not exactly the same as smoking. Vaping cannot replace the simplicity of lighting up a fag, finding the set up that works and adjusting your lifestyle to all that entails (recharging, maintaining coils, keeping juice on hand, having a back up etc.) takes more effort. None of the dual fuellers I know are loving their vaping, they're just tolerating it.

A lot of people make encouraging noises about dual fuelling ... you know it's all about the fags you don't smoke, that kind of thing. Medical evidence suggests that continuing to smoke whilst vaping does not deliver the health benefits of switching fully to vaping. It's time for tough love - so don't kid yourself, you're still fucking yourself up.

Don't beat yourself up over it. Try and see them as slips. Many slip during a recovery of some sort and I think its a natural part of the process. What may ring alarm bells is if this is starting to become habit and then you might need to, as others have said, raise the Nic level considerably to satiate the cravings.

For me one of the things with smoking is the habitual nature of it and one of the ways to break this is to change routine and try to avoid smoking triggers. Perhaps you could look at what you're doing or thinking when you get a craving for a pack and see if you can change it by doing something else or putting yourself in a situation where you cant access them?

But at the end of the day, you're trying and for the most part not smoking and that in itself is an achievement not to be scoffed at!

When I stopped smoking, I thought Yes! I’ve nailed it at last. No desire to smoke. Went on holiday and the other half likes an occasional cig when out for a drink and on holiday. Of course I ended up having a few cigs in the evening on holiday. Fast forward a year until the next holiday. I gave the OH a pen type with Heisenberg before we went away and she got used to that. No cigs on our holiday. I was delighted. Went out with my best mate a couple of nights later and ended up smoking a few cigs. That was June 2018 and not had one since.
Could I smoke a cig now? Yes of course- but I won’t. I’m nearly 2 years smoke free except for the above. I chain vape sometimes. I now hate the smell of cigs and really don’t like standing in a smoking area with smokers to vape. I still have a packet of cigs that are 2 years old. Not sure why I’ve kept them. Emergency maybe. They are probably stale but as we all know when you smoked you would smoke old rope to get your fix.

This is true ... fags deliver a noxious stink, plenty of carbon monoxide and quite a few carcinogens. What's not to like?

Seriously though, based on the experience of all the dual fuellers I know the reason they can't kick the smokes is because they don't have their vaping set up nailed down. It takes a bit of will power to make the switch and dial into vaping ... it's a replacement but not exactly the same as smoking. Vaping cannot replace the simplicity of lighting up a fag, finding the set up that works and adjusting your lifestyle to all that entails (recharging, maintaining coils, keeping juice on hand, having a back up etc.) takes more effort. None of the dual fuellers I know are loving their vaping, they're just tolerating it.

A lot of people make encouraging noises about dual fuelling ... you know it's all about the fags you don't smoke, that kind of thing. Medical evidence suggests that continuing to smoke whilst vaping does not deliver the health benefits of switching fully to vaping. It's time for tough love - so don't kid yourself, you're still fucking yourself up.
Not that simple though. If you still live with a smoker then your house still stinks of smoke ... and so do you. Some of the great boons of vaping are lost. I vape in the car and I vape at work, but at home it's difficult. I don't doubt I would be healthier, but there are other considerations for vapers still living with smokers they love.

Not that simple though. If you still live with a smoker then your house still stinks of smoke ... and so do you. Some of the great boons of vaping are lost. I vape in the car and I vape at work, but at home it's difficult. I don't doubt I would be healthier, but there are other considerations for vapers still living with smokers they love.

Great point, i don't think i would have given up so easily if my other half had smoked, lucky for me i suppose.

No, coz I'm weird and never liked the taste of ciggies, even as a smoker I hated the smell of them.

No, coz I'm weird and never liked the taste of ciggies, even as a smoker I hated the smell of them.

I always hated the smell of them too but it was a very bad habit i could not control until vaping came along, never looked back.

I see your problem. This smoker who you love ... can't he/she smoke outside? I mean, doesn't he or she reciprocate your love and consideration? I guess there may be mobility issues at play but vaping is an alternative, you know that.

When I did smoke I never smoked in the house ... ever. I felt bad enough bringing in the stink. I only vape in the house when the missus has gone to bed, 90% of the time I vape outside which is much more pleasant now that I have a verandah in the back garden. I appreciate that not everyone's circumstances are the same but smoking in a house where non-smokers live has to raise questions doesn't it?

I see your problem. This smoker who you love ... can't he/she smoke outside? I mean, doesn't he or she reciprocate your love and consideration? I guess there may be mobility issues at play but vaping is an alternative, you know that.

When I did smoke I never smoked in the house ... ever. I felt bad enough bringing in the stink. I only vape in the house when the missus has gone to bed, 90% of the time I vape outside which is much more pleasant now that I have a verandah in the back garden. I appreciate that not everyone's circumstances are the same but smoking in a house where non-smokers live has to raise questions doesn't it?
It does ......... but on the other hand we've been smokers together for over 25 years ........ my feeling is that just because I decided to change doesn't mean he has to. And I don't want to become the traditional judgmental, nagging, 'pain in the ass' ex-smoker, if I'm honest. :D

Back
Top Bottom