What's new

Allergy problem - how easy/or practical to switch to hi VG?

ron trousers

Postman
My everloving wif is convinced that the PG content (or 'something' about vaping) is exacerbating (spellinge?) a 'dry eye' condition she has had on and off for years.
She doesn't vape herself...but is thrilled that I do.....and can enjoy vaping in the comfort of our home without the misery of sitting in a cold dark shed with a fag. (I'm thrilled too!)

She LIKES the smell and we thought that vaping would be life enhancing for us both until something began to to sensitise her.
We are both equally down-hearted about this.

I have just bought a serious 'HEPA' air cleaner (and a fan assisted 'ioniser') and have just started running both. She reports a little easing so far. (The jury is out on the ioniser!)
I do not cloud chase or chain-vape around her...or, at least, I now limit it pretty much to the one room (the 'computer-room') where I have all this air cleaning whirring away.

The next step will be to try 100 percent (or near-to) VG juice as I am aware that it is possible to be sensitive to PG?
I would have to give up my favourite 50/50 juices so would like to know if their are any vendors with a not too spendy selection to try?

Also...
I have invested deeply in KayFun type rebuildables (and simple Tube Mechs) I love 'em!...but suspect that high VG concentrations will gum them up big time? But I also have a couple or three original 'Lemos' which work the same way as Kayfuns but have deeper channels wider airflo etc.....would these be able to cope better? I sometimes 'drip' as well but find drippers a bit of a faff and only seem to be able to enjoy a basic s/coil MTL like the 'Octopus' and similar - I like my tanks?

All wisdom and advice from my Fellow Apes gratefully received.

All Best

Desperate Ron and Mrs Trousers.

Last edited:
Hey there @ron trousers it's a shame that you and your wife are having problems with this... assuming that it is a pg sensitivity. .. it's definitely worth a visit to the doctor and also possibly the opticians just to rule out any other possible cause as it could be purely coincidence that it's happening now... and better to rule out any other health issues (and eye issues) ... but always worth also ruling out the pg either way as well...
Limiting to the one room where she doesn't spend much time should have shown improvement if it was totally down to the vaping but can take a while for any improvement once a contaminant is removed. ..
Try contacting the vendors you currently use... some will special order higher vg although as many flavourings are pg based that may not always be possible even to increase the vg ratio. .. and for most won't be possible to totally eliminate pg...
Second. . There are now plenty of good juice manufacturers that offer higher or even totally vg juices... shopping around for flavours you like will probably be the biggest issue there... plus which as they are generally aimed at the cloud chasing side of the market they will generally also be lower nicotine than other juices you may have used before....this isn'tnecessarily a problem if you go for a set up that suits that style of vaping.. but you will use more juice etc as well... tryinga sub ohm type tank will probably mean you also need a variable wattage mod rather than a mech... but some don't have to be used as sub ohm tanks... usinga dripper or a tank such as the heron you can go higher vg but you may need a different builds type than you are used to... may also be possible to use a diff build in the kayfun.. etc... others can advise here... but if you go sub ohm you will also probably use more juice....
Thirdly... you can go for diy options. . Source flavouring and nicotine in a vg base... there are less flavourings in vg only though. .. but even lessening the pg content may be enough. .. then you can go for whatever strength suits nic wise... there are also some companies that offer custom vg levels in their juice which is another option. .
Good luck with finding things that work for both you and your wife. ..s

You can buy 100% VG juices from Truevapes in the UK, reportedly no PG content in anything. Dry hits could be more of a problem than gummed coils if you vape it in a KF clone, the juice wells are better on the Lemo, but may still not be up to it.

Best used in an RDA imho, although It does wick in my Steamcrave RTDA, perhaps try a 10ml bottle for a few days and see if that helps? You can at least rule out the PG as an issue.

I really rate Truevape. One of my favourite all-time juices is their bubblegum flavour. It's not overly sweet like some bubblegums and it has a subtle menthol aftertone.

As for the kayfun part. I vape Velvet Cloud, apple brown teddy on a kayfun V4 clone. Velvet cloud is 100% Vg. never had a wicking problem.

My wife also gets dry eyes and the doctor prescribed us gel drops to put on the eyes. They help alot for her. If you haven't tried them ask the doctor.

Back
Top Bottom