What's new

When do you REALLY need to change rebuildable NI80 coils?

Dozwold

Postman
Hi all,

This is all about changing rebuildable coils (not sub ohm).

I Squonk and use NI coils, usually hand made aliens or handmade fused by builders as don’t build my own. I change cotton a couple of times a day due to either gunk of sweet juices on coil, or burnt cotton which again happens quick with sweeter juices.

However, was wondering when do some of you actually decide to change coils. Specifically NI80. It’s obviously not like subohm store coils that you have to change when flavour tastes burned as those contain cotton which have an easy to taste shelf life.

So when do you change them? Is it when they are a little blackened after 5-10 dry burns, or when very very black (maybe 50 dry burns), or when they lose their shape or notice the outer fuses are not straight anymore, or do you notice a flavour loss or a slight change of flavour being more bitter or burned (does that even happen on rebuildable coils?), or notice the middle ring is firing redder then other rings, or any other tell tell way to know it’s probably time to put in new coil? The cheaper Chinese machine made ni80 coils sometimes break when dry burning, so easy enough to know, but some good handmade ones seem to go on and possibly could for ever (although go blacker and blacker over time). Is flavour or performance better on brand new coils or is that rubbish.. or do you just change coils in case they may break whilst using a mech for safety reasons? Or do you just change coils to try different types (not an issue for me as have multiple rdas in rotation).

Second questions, Is vaping on very black coils (obviously dry burned and cleaned multiple times) more dangerous to your health then vaping fresh ni80 coils?

Would love to hear comments on this.
Many thanks.

If you clean your coils with for example a wire brush every once in a while, they pretty much look the same as new afterwards.
In my opinion you can pretty much use those coils forever, if you clean them properly.

I think with proper maintenance coils are good for a long time, had some in 6 months plus and they still seem good to me, only really change them if you wanna change resistance...

As has been said, look after them and some can last along time.

I solely use Ni80. Longest ever was @Smut 0.3 Alien, managed 14 months of daily use with it and then only changed as I wanted to deep clean the actual atty.

Shortest was about 3 weeks with some cheap Chinese thing I grabbed from FastTech. Just started hot spotting and nothing could get rid of them.

When you want to change them.

So that could be anything from a drop in flavour, coil discolouration, because you fancy a different coil, because you want to kill 5 minutes. Any reason really.

You should never dry burn any coil. Not even once. The more you do it the worse it is.

http://www.ecigarette-research.org/research/index.php/research/research-2015/212-db

"How much is metal exposure elevated by dry-burning the coils? Probably not very much."

That is the main standout statement from that blog for me. I see what they are saying but to use that phrase just comes across as abit amateurish for scientists.

I remember when this point was first raised, I did alittle digging but couldn't find any certainties with it.

Aye, that’s fair enough of course @Chris K , we make our own informed decisions about things. I tend to agree with the following sentence though:

“However, we do not see a reason why the exposure to metals should be elevated by doing something which can be avoided.”

Aye, that’s fair enough of course @Chris K , we make our own informed decisions about things. I tend to agree with the following sentence though:

“However, we do not see a reason why the exposure to metals should be elevated by doing something which can be avoided.”

Oh you're right to bring it up and the section you quoted is completely correct. We are all adults, can make our own decisions.

Personally for me, I dry burn just for the fact I don't always have time/the inclination to change a coil every few days. Also don't keep enough ready made coils to do it. I realise this may slightly increase risk but it's a risk I take. If someone doesn't want to, fair enough, I get that.

Back
Top Bottom