What's new

Trouble making wick and coil

mike137

Postman
Hi all!!!

I've been trying to knock up a coil for a few devices for a while and can't seem to get the hang of it...

Aga t2- no luck at all, shorts, shit taste, burnt taste
Chorge dripper- shit awful taste, not burned but just nasty, like how dog puke smells...
Vaporbreak dripper- nasty taste as above...

I've tried loads on each, I appreciate the t2 is not the easiest to get right but surely the droppers should be easy right?

I've tried silica and the cotton bit off a cotton bud and both taste crap... The method I'm using...

Cut silica (or tease out the cotton from a cotton bud)

Cut wire

Hold wire under a lighter

Wrap wire round wick (3 wraps gives 2.0 ohms according to my SVD)

Attach to dripper - nice and close to the posts but not too close and clear of the base/cap

(Only on silica) dry burn and check for hot spots - not had any on either dripper...

Wet wick, leave for 30 secs and vape away...

I've even tried pulling a coil from a vivi nova head and using that... Tasted fine in the nova but tastes shite in the drippers...

I've cleaned the dripper with vodka and tried Christ knows how many times! Please help!

Thanks in advance!!

3 wraps is giving 2.0hms? how big are your coils? i usually need 5 or 6 wraps for 2ohms.

also it could be you dry burning on silica , you might be over doing it and burning the silica .

how tight are your coils to the wick ?

other than that , for the drippers i have no idea.

oh and the cotton from cotton buds could be really whispy , and generally not too safe , that may be giving you a funky taste . you need to boil cotton before use as its gorwn with pesticides and other such nonesense. best get some cotton balls and boil em.

also finally dont dry burn cotton. it burns and then its basically gonna taste like crap.

sorry i cant be of much help. someone will come along shortly and tell me im wrong and give you some proper advice :)

Thanks for the reply :)

Coils are 2 - 2.5mm diameter... Roughly.

With the dry burn - I have dry burned my vivi coils and iclear coils after cleaning with no issues... I've also tried not burning them and still tastes the same. I don't dry burn the cotton but I don't boil it either... Ill take a trip to tesco in the morning and get cotton balls.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the reply :)

Coils are 2 - 2.5mm diameter... Roughly.

With the dry burn - I have dry burned my vivi coils and iclear coils after cleaning with no issues... I've also tried not burning them and still tastes the same. I don't dry burn the cotton but I don't boil it either... Ill take a trip to tesco in the morning and get cotton balls.

Thanks again!

oh its fine to do , but you can over burn it. im one of those idiots who when pulsing , keep pulsing because it looks pretty when you turn the lights off.. then you have your wick burned so badly it falls apart.

on the cotton balls , i stole them off my wife. they can be a bit fiddly because the theory is your wrap the coil round a screwdriver , attach it to your device then worm the cotton with through , ive heard of people attaching a coil and just sitting it ontop of a bed of cotton. i tried it and it was awful so either theyre stupid , or im doing something seriously wrong.

if you use the forum search bar for a thread cotton wick is the future theres some good tips on cotton as a wicking material and a link to an ebay site that sells its in braided format ( like silica is) which seems to be very effective. im waiting on a delivery myself.

Just asked my sister, she has "cotton pads and no balls" - jolly good!!

I've been reading the thread, that's what made me try the cotton buds haha! Ill try again with a tighter coil and some boiled cotton tomorrow. Cheers :)

Just asked my sister, she has "cotton pads and no balls" - jolly good!!

I've been reading the thread, that's what made me try the cotton buds haha! Ill try again with a tighter coil and some boiled cotton tomorrow. Cheers :)

see if i had a sister , the last thing id want from her is her pads. :P get yourself some cotton balls haha.

oh you could try getting "organic" ones. should be even safer :)

One thing I can only add to everyone else's bits on this is that its good to start on the lowest setting and work your way up over 1 or two hours to wear the coil in a bit, and turning the power up a little now and then, but sometimes you will get yourself a good coil on the go and won't need too long.

I've only been doing my own coils for a few months and still get the odd nasty taste but I think its just been a patience and perseverance thing and experimenting with different wick and wire

Hope this might help :)

Thanks... :)

Also I've read about blow torching the silica wick before use... Is that right??

the amount of times ive wrapped a coil and forgotten to burn the silica first is unreal.

dont forget as otherwise it will taste bloody horrible.

Back
Top Bottom